Old dos games

i have a few, the one i liked the best was a game called "When Two World's War" very old turn based strategy game. It rocked! That and Wing Commander: Privateer.

ahhh...the good ole days...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheElite @ Jan. 31 2003,9:03)]ACK...I stayed up until 1AM playing KQ5. And of course, I stroll into work about 8:30AM...and walk right past the boss' office. He didn't see me though...
You have a copy of King's Quest 5 and you didn't tell me? -_-

While I never played 5, I did play 6 (it came with the first "multimedia kit" my parents bought) and loved it. I'm still trying to hunt down a copy that will work in Windows 2000.

Oh, and speaking of classing gaming, I have happened to compile a CD of classic games, though perhaps not as ancient as the ones discussed on this thread. Doom, Hexen, Quake 1, Stargunner, and other assorted titles. I also compiled a second CD with maps and game enhancements, such as Doom Legacy and the bliss that is Tenebrae.

Yesh, I'm old-school, but I also dig playing Doom and Quake with souped-up graphics. Games like Starflight tend to freak out on a Windows 2000 machine with a 1GHz machine, but, meh, I still have copies of SF1 and SF2.

And hey, if you dig classic DOS games, then you all might be surprised to know that I wrote one in DOS with the help of a few classmates during my senior year in high school. Check it out if you need a good laugh.
smile.gif

Of course, there's also the topic of emulation, but that's a thread unto itself...

Oh, and yes, I've moved this topic, too. You can find it in the Christian Gamers Alliance General Discussion Forum.
smile.gif

Geez you bet I got old DOS games!
I got Descent, this old Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes craptastic game, Ultima Underworld I and II, Doom I, II, and Final Doom, and uh....that's about it.
But DOS games, especially Ultima Underworld, kicked! Anyone else play UW?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tek7 @ Feb. 03 2003,6:15)]Oh, and speaking of classing gaming, I have happened to compile a CD of classic games, though perhaps not as ancient as the ones discussed on this thread. Doom, Hexen, Quake 1,
All of those very christian games, err, wait, maybe it was the other kind...

Lol Tek, that game pwnzer. Who wrote the intro?...

At first I was thinking TETRIS! Tek is 1337! Then I realized it wasn't Tetris, Tek isn't 1337, and that I'm kind of crazy.

Odd. Must be the anti-biotics. (Ohwell, gave me a day off school! There goes my perfect attendance.)

I've got some of the old Flight Sim stuff. Dark Forces. Descent II. Civ and Colonization. Transport Tycoon Deluxe. And a whole archive of the Infocom text-adventure games. I was really into gaming until I went off to college. Played a few Mac games, but there wasn't too much at the time. It was over 10 years until I got back into it. Unfortunately, I missed a bunch of great games during that time. The DOS games I have were mostly purchased well after the games' lifetime had run out. But I am always buying older games that have proved themselves as 'great' over time.

dark forces and decent 2, now those were games. Nothin like blastin shadowtroopers and mining drones
unclesam.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheElite @ Jan. 31 2003,8:03)]ACK...I stayed up until 1AM playing KQ5. And of course, I stroll into work about 8:30AM...and walk right past the boss' office. He didn't see me though...
That doesnt impress me, your talkin to someone whos gone days gaming on no sleep here buddy.
blues.gif

Tek, and others running WIN 2K or WIN NT:

Go here:

http://ntvdm.cjb.net/

This will help solve the problem of playing old DOS games on NT boxes. It works perfectly! Also, I would suggest running the VDMS Launcher - it helps set it up pretty nicely. Just a quick note: if you use this utility and have a SoundBlaster card, change the IRQ to 5, instead of 7.

wink.gif

Just like Plankeye, it was The Black Cauldron that got me hooked on the Sierra Adventure games. After playing through it, I played through Kings Quest 1 - 4, but I didn't get to play 5 until much later (it never game out for Apple IIgs). Eventually I got to play KQ5 on nintendo, but it just wasn't the same, but I acquired and beat the game on PC when I finally got my Acer Acros 486DX2-66.

I remember playing Police Quest & Gold Rush too. I enjoyed them, but never quite as much as The Black Cauldron and the Kings Quest series.

Now I'm gonna have to go home and break out my KQ collection. As I'm thinking about them, I honestly can't remember much about KQ6, and I never really did beat KQ8.

Any of you like any of the lucasarts adventures too?

The Monkey Island games, in my opinion, are some of the absolutely best adventure games ever made.

I think I played all the KQ series except KQ3 I didn't like the timed one. I never beat KQ8

I loved Gold Rush, and Colonel's Bequest. Anyone ever heard of Codename: Iceman? That was fun too.

The Monkey Island games were pretty schweet too. I have been playing these games off and on since I found em in the back of my closet...been since Junior High School since I played some of them!

one thing i never liked about the KQ games is you could do something wrong, that would make it so you couldnt win the game, and go through the entire game right up to the end and not know it.

Shadow Troopers......How I hate thee!
Dark Forces was fun, but I thought it was only for the PSX.
I swear to you: once a few years ago I was up at six and I popped in Dark Forces. By total freaking accident, I typed in the password that gave me access to The ARc Hammer....and I got my butt shortly whipped by those dern Shadow Troopers.
Descent II....never played it. Played III and Freespace...but never II.
Doom was fun! I always wanted to play Hexen...never did.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anyone ever heard of Codename: Iceman?

Funny you should ask. I just saw it the other day at my local Goodwill. Unfortunately, they mark ALL games as $7.99. Both old and new. I thought that was kind of steep for REAL old DOS games. But I figure, they probably have no idea it's that old of a game.

Hmmm. The software seemed like it was in decent condition. They had some more old DOS stuff, but all I can remember is some Advanced D&D game.

I ended up buying the books "The Two Towers" and "Return of the King" for $2 each.
biggrin.gif
My wife and I were quite happy. Couldn't find "The Hobbit" or "Fellowship", but we had already taken those out of the library, anyway.

My first computer was an 8086 with a single floppy drive (that is right kiddos, no hard drive) and a 16 color RGB monitor.  The first "game" I played was the asteroid like game that was a part of typing tutor where letters fell down from the sky and you had to type the correct ones in.

I got pretty good at basic by typing in and running the basic games that came in the back of Home Computing magazine.  Those were the days.  Back when you could fit 50-100 games on one disk instead of the one game on 5+ CDs.

I also got pretty good at configuring DOS bootdisks as it was always dificult making the right configuration as some games required a minimum of 512k of memory free.

The first real game I remember was Chuck Yeager's Flight simulator.  You could fly several different planes.  Whenever you crashed, a horribly digitized face of Chuck Yeager would pop up with some funny one liner like "You bought the farm on that one".  I followed that up with games like the original Hardball and Test Drive.  They only came in monochrome or cga.  For those of you who don't remember, monochrome and cga monitors could only display 4 colors.  You had to send in an extra 5-10 dollars to get the "color" disk.

I don't know about the rest, but do you remember the mail order shareware?  Before Apogee (Commander Keen & Duke Nukem) and id (Doom) made shareware popular.  I got several games from there including a couple that were pretty good like a chopper game and an f-18 hornet simulator.

Back