oldest Helpdesk

I work on a helpdesk for a medical software company, so I shared those links with my co-workers. And there was much laughter. :D

I have an interview tomorrow to move over to the IT helpdesk. (I'm just plain Student IT now).

luckily, I'll be doing more projects than answering phones.

so, while I deal with some of that normally, I'll be delving deeper into that wonderful world. (hopefully)

we recently had a Tech loose his job for telling a customer that they had an ID-10-T error.... when the customer wrote it down to tell the next agent he was appauled...

Rho

You laugh, but that sort of thing happens a lot. Techs just lose it......there really needs to be some sort of 'user support rehabilitation center" or something.......

Course (and not to rag on you helpdesk guys) some of the "call center" people are just well.......dumb cook-bookers. They have a magic check list that has ALLLL the answers....and if you're problem is not on that list, then you don't have a problem or......If you're problem is further down....you're going to do EVERY step until you get there.......

ME: I have a problem with a key on the keyboard. It appears to be broken
Tech: have you run a virus scan?
ME: No, it's a bad key, it's broken.
Tech:Well, we need to do a virus scan to rule out a possible virus.
ME: I've done that, and besides....the key is physically broken.
Tech: I understand, however we need to scan for viruses again to rule that out.
ME:.......
ME:.......
ME:........

And then my favorite!

me: Hello, yes, I'm calling to find out what IP ports your software uses so I can setup some quality of service polices.
Tech: ok, what are you trying to do
me: setup some QoS policies
tech: QoS?
me: yeah, policies that give certain traffic priority over other traffic......so like 100 people watching youtube doesn't interfere with the 10 that want to do work.....
tech: yeah. haha..our software doesn't do that. You;d have to setup some sort of server or something.
me:....
me:....
me: That's what i'm trying to do......
tech: oh well what was your question then?
(I'll leave the rest out)

yeah......both those happened. Though rare......those conversations do happen....SO unfortunately......THEY are everywhere.

Shakespeare: Writer's Guild Helpdesk, how may I help you?
Customer: um ya how do i prevent ppl frum steelin mah ritingz
Shakespeare: You can't. It's 1601. Copyright hasn't been invented yet.
Customer: Stoopid n00blet.
Shakespeare: Are you aware of who you're talking to?!
Customer: Ya, a dumb headed guy
Shakespeare: ...

Back