Onyxia stratigies

Sassperilla

Guys I know I'm new to Onyxia but atm im sitting here watching u wipe and i gotta say this the Dot DPS is NOT NOT gonna work..... I honestly think you need the rogues to run under her 5 points and rupture and keep tht up and have warriors mortal strike when i 20 man'd it i did just this and i was fine i mean it wont hurt to try it once will it??

i know this should probly be in raid disscussion but i felt it needs to be in general to get the general opinion and see what others think

I think our strat is fine, personally. We walked in last week and beat her down with no hitches.

Only difference was today we had new tanks who didn't keep her away from the rest of the raid. Once they learn the fight and tank Onyxia like Gnomegeddon did, the strat will be fine.

The rogue trick with Sinister Strike x5 + Rupture is good. This keeps dots on her, plus DPS to avoid deep breaths with.

Once our tanks learn to stance dance, we'll have it.

Most runs I've seen with Onyxia use dots, since doing direct damage requires people to get in specific ranges to melee and casting direct spells require casters to stand still for a couple seconds each cast, causing the chances of people getting bunched up to be much higher. With less people it's safer to do direct damage, but in a large raid a melee zerg is asking for nasty, nasty aoes. In a 20-man raid I can see why melee damage is probably better, though.

I recommend everyone doing Onyxia to watch this sometime:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3946976759003661021&q=8-man+onyxia

This is an 8-man Onyxia, featuring 1 of each class. There is a 6-man video, but I feel this one is much more informative on how Onyxia works and how each class is supposed to work during the fight. This is done by horde, so there are no paladins; but the perspective is from the shaman, so the idea of spot-heal and spot-buffing and switching to shield to hold off whelps is the same with a paladin; if not easier.

Last edited:
all warriors and rogues can run in, hit her a few times then disperse. That means getting rupturs off, vanish - garottes will work, MS and Rends will work.

Remember that as you run in to go around the others, don't run over them or through them, I watched some ppl run over others tonight and immediately a deep breath came.

Sassperilla said:
..when i 20 man'd it i did just this and i was fine..

Time's have changed since back then, the more dots you keep up the less she deep breaths or thats the belief. Also, I'm sure that the other 19 people had some to a lot of experience doing Onyxia. Once you get the experience Onyxia is a joke. The hardest part is for the tanks to stancedance. I made a post about it in the class forums. I stance danced through Magmadarr last Friday and it worked out fine, didn't get hit by a single fear.

This is great input from all.

From a leaders perspective our first priority is teaching tanks and gearing tanks. Tonight we wiped on the second try due to a slow down in damage from 44% to 42% that allowed a second deep breath. If we had not had a dip there I think we could have taken her the second try.

We need to fail every so often, even if it pains me.

lanki said:
Time's have changed since back then, the more dots you keep up the less she deep breaths or thats the belief. /QUOTE]

uh she did that the night before the wipe fest at onyxia.

as far as people clumped up ect that has some barring on it but not as much really there should be 1 clumped up area and that is the rogues underneath onxyia. any melee instant cast attack can be performed from underneath her.

typically what i have seen done is

phase one tank solo's her down to 97% basicly, DPS digs in till 90, backs off completely till 87%... rinse repeat till she takes off.

when she takes off mages/warriors go and take care of the first wave of whelps, then it is up to the warriors to take care of whelps from there.

meaning while all your hunters/rogues are doing as much DPS to her as they can while warlocks toss up their dots.

rogues and hunters can go all out at this point because when phase 3 is called they can just feign death/vanish to drop their hate.

also as seen last night the transition from phase2->phase 3 is the toughest part.
what you can do is as she is coming down to land the MT pops recklessness then goes back to defensive and spams his HS/revenge(shield block to proc it)/sunder as much as he can in the 20 seconds of immunity to fear. then after he/she has that run out they may want to pop zerker stance and tank that way so they can zerker rage out of all the fears(if you use ctraid/spell alert you should get a warning that she is casting bellowing roar and that is when you pop your zerker rage) or if the tank is fury they can stay in defensive a bit longer and use deathwish.

the tank shouldnt need to worry about his/her heals at this point since the vast majority of them should be focused on the tank anyway. so taking an added 10% dmg or so shouldnt matter.

if you are worried about one tank getting feared then at the start of phase 3 you can position everyone on one side, with an off tank on the otherside that would be building hate ect, and let's say the MT's zerker rage is down the OT would go to zerker stance and just pop his/her zerker and onyxia should go to them.then that OT would become your new MT and the old MT goes to the OT position and they just cycle till she is dead, healers should be healing by MT target's target(enabled in CTraid) so it shouldnt be much of an issue.

(the above paragraph was an improvised strat we used on our successful 21man dowing of her with Throwed*fullt1) MTing and gnome ended up OT it)

Back