Orange Items Poll

What is acceptable in looting?

• Ok to need the item even if not an upgrade stat wise, but the looks of the item is what your after.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tagtarsis

Today a discussion with a guild mate has made me think about the subject that is very specific to SWTOR. With the orange items in this game (that I love by the way) we have some options to loot things that we can use the mods from.

there are some unique loot situations in this game, I agree. However I think you will find at level 50, gear is pretty much designed with just a single spec in mind. In a four man group it'd be rare to have, say, a juggernaut dps and a marauder dps that both want str mods. Most juggs are tanks and go for defensive gear. I think highest priority should always go to a person who can use the item as it is. After that I think 2nd priority would be someone who wants to use the mods, and 3rd would be someone who wants the look. Looks are fun but sadly end-game gear is not compatible with moddable equipment in it's current state, so you will be gimping yourself if you use anything but the end-game set for your class.

I'd say that if you can't use the item as it is then you need to check with the group before needing on it.

I would tend to agree, but all 3 options are IMO an acceptable reasons to want to need a roll, but I would also agree that there is a hierarchy to which option trumps the next.

My Rank would be 2>1>3

there are some unique loot situations in this game, I agree. However I think you will find at level 50, gear is pretty much designed with just a single spec in mind. In a four man group it'd be rare to have, say, a juggernaut dps and a marauder dps that both want str mods. Most juggs are tanks and go for defensive gear. I think highest priority should always go to a person who can use the item as it is. After that I think 2nd priority would be someone who wants to use the mods, and 3rd would be someone who wants the look. Looks are fun but sadly end-game gear is not compatible with moddable equipment in it's current state, so you will be gimping yourself if you use anything but the end-game set for your class.

Understood. Question would be then is this different for pre 50 level game?

Not to pick out specifics also, is the Operative and the sniper have different stuff like the difference between tank and dps warriors?

I would think that operatives and snipers use pretty much the same stuff....

I agree with Whon. All are valid reasons to "need" an item, and he states what I believe to be the proper priority, 2>1>3.

I would never select 'Need' for 1 or 3 though unless no one needed it for reason 2, and unless I had first asked the permission of my fellow group members.

But if every mod in the item is an upgrade then all thats left is the graphical orange shell right? So #2 is really the same as #1 except for the #3 is mixed in.

I think all 3 are valid for everything non-progression. Progression type stuff #1 and #2 are the same in my book and "how it looks" does not play a part at all.

Last edited:
But if every mod in the item is an upgrade then all thats left is the graphical orange shell right? So #2 is really the same as #1 except for the #3 is mixed in.

I think all 3 are valid for everything non-progression. Progression type stuff #1 and #2 are the same in my book and "how it looks" does not play a part at all.

Well, the implication from number one was that you can't use all the mods, just some of them. If you can use all of the mods in the item then that's the same as being able to use the item as is - unless it is a heavy armor piece with strength on it and you are a Sith Marauder, I guess. That's the only case where you might want ALL the mods in a piece while not being able to wear the piece itself.

All this is why I've been thinking we should use Lootmaster rules, not because we don't trust someone to ninja, but because right now if you need and win over someone that needed it much more, you can't transfer the item to them. Lootmaster gives us a sec to ask "Who needs this most?".

I'd also say that (especially in a guild run) if you have no use for an item, pass, don't greed. Like, I always greed if one of my companions could use the upgrade, but since I don't have anyone that uses Aim, I always pass on those items. Sure, I could greed and vendor the item, but I always assume that someone in the group will have a better use for the item than vendoring.

Well, the implication from number one was that you can't use all the mods, just some of them. If you can use all of the mods in the item then that's the same as being able to use the item as is - unless it is a heavy armor piece with strength on it and you are a Sith Marauder, I guess. That's the only case where you might want ALL the mods in a piece while not being able to wear the piece itself.

Yeah or a single handed lightsaber that has 3 mods a Sin wants and vice versa with the DBL handed lightsaber. Or a sniper rifle that has 3 mods an Op wants.

Last edited:
I agree its helpful to look at this in this game. However I agree that the end game stuff may very well be different to a point. BUT due to the way the orange items are done I still think its a valid discussion.

I do agree with what everyone else said in guild we should defer to people who are our guildmates. I would never need on an item I don't feel its a need. Also I would never need on an item that's for a companion unless instructed to do so by our groupmates. (Had silverchiss do this to me in the past)

I definitely think we should use master loot on our operations until we get a feel for how things will work, and maybe just let the officers decide who should get each item.

I definitely think we should use master loot on our operations until we get a feel for how things will work, and maybe just let the officers decide who should get each item.
Maybe just when we don't have full guild Operations groups? Hmmm...

When it's a full group, I'd like to have us trust each other enough to stick with need>greed.

What does everyone think?

If an item drops and you cannot use it as is, you are probably wanting some of the mods. But if you cannot use it as is, you do not want all of the mods. Therefore the person that wants all of the mods (and will use it as is) gets priority imo.

-Bretta

Last edited:
Can you master loot in normal operations? The ops I did the loot just dropped for a random person and you go pick it up. Like if there are 8 in an EV ops group, maybe 5 people got loot from a boss assigned to them randomly by the game. And it wasnt roll specific, just class specific. So as an assassin dps I could get (and did several times) assassin tank items. In the heroic Ops it was just need>greed>pass. The group I was in said you either need it or pass. I guess as a group gets more geared up you could work a greed roll in there for offspecs and whatnot.

The problem with masterloot in SWTOR right now is there is no /random or /roll in the game. So maybe the masterlooter can find an iphone/android app to generate a random number between 1 and 8/16? The only problem with this being that its not a public roll so we all have to trust the masterlooter to not give himself loot he wants, but I dont think we have to worry about that in this guild :) The other option would be a masterlooter picks a number between 1-whatever and the people that want it try to pick a number closest to it. This could be done in ops chat with masterlooter telling the number to a second person or whatever.

-Bretta

Last edited:
Bretta, I like your your suggestion for Master Looting by having the Ops leader rolling offline for the people that should be entitled. Ninja looting excluded, this would prevent anyone mis-clicking an item they don't need.

IIRC, any group can be set to Master Loot, even a 4-person.

Back