Other people thinking about buying Borderlands?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
The retail release of Borderlands is right out, thanks to a poor decision to infe--err, attach SecuROM to the standalone release. Fortunately, the Steam version doesn't (so far as my research indicates) have SecuROM attached.

Paying $50 for a game is right out, at least right now. Unemployment is uncool like that.

But I do have a bit of gift money tucked away for Black Friday. Is it possible there will be a sale on the Steam version of Borderlands then? I suppose.

But in case there isn't, I considered the possibility of finding 3 other community members I can trust to go in together on a 4-pack. A Borderlands 4-pack costs $150. Divided by 4, that's $37.50 per copy. That's $12.50 off the standard retail price.

I'm getting ready to drop $10 on Mass Effect here in a few minutes, so I may think otherwise about buying Borderlands, even at a discount, come tomorrow. I may end up waiting until Black Friday for any more game purchases after all. But if there are 3 other people interested in buying the Steam version of the game, we could at least discuss the possibility.

Of course, it's also quite possible that everyone on these forums who wanted to buy Borderlands has already done so or is waiting for a more substantial sale (say, $39.99?).

Could ask Darkbot. :) He was looking to buy it, but not at 50 as well.

If I could only pick one, should I go in on this or grab L4D2? They are pretty similar right?

No. Borderlands contains RPG elements, so you basically do missions, kill things, get better weapons, etc. You get to follow a more strict storyline. Aside from [annoying] co-op, it doesn't really add much onto existing RPG shooters like fallout 3, Mass Effect, etc except for the art style.

L4D2 is instanced combat, so you follow a [slightly different] linear path each mission. There isn't really a story except for vague references and writings on the walls. It is geared almost entirely for multiplayer (otherwise you get saddled with idiots, er bots). I would wait for the L4D2 demo to come out and see if you like that.

Is it possible there will be a sale on the Steam version of Borderlands then? I suppose.

I think its based on its sale, popularity and ratings.

I'm actually waiting for RE5 to go on sale, to tell everyone to buy it and play it, ON-LINE!, since SF4 was 50% off long ago, which are Capcom games.

But no, RPGs is 1 of my least favorite genres.

Its interesting though, everyone is playing all of these new RPGs and I'm still playing, SC: Brood War. ;) :cool:

Hey Tek, you remember that Borderlands 4-pack I tried to sell you on a little while ago? Back when it still had the 10% off preorder bonus and went for the low low price of $33.75? It may interest you to know that my roommate ended up being the fourth person in that whole deal, and judging by his steam profile, he hasn't even noticed that the game got released. You know, just in case you were wondering.

I'm just giving you a hard time though, you should still get it, and I'd think there might still be enough folks who would be drawn in by watching the rest of us play, and the promise of significant savings.

No. Borderlands contains RPG elements, so you basically do missions, kill things, get better weapons, etc. You get to follow a more strict storyline. Aside from [annoying] co-op, it doesn't really add much onto existing RPG shooters like fallout 3, Mass Effect, etc except for the art style.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there, not so much in that Borderlands doesn't add a great deal of new stuff, but in that those others should even be categorized the same way.

Fallout 3 was absolute garbage if you tried to play it like an FPS, the "VATS" system made it tolerable and suitably RPGish, but I wouldn't even call it a shooter in the first place. Mass Effect is definitely a shooter, but it is closer to Gears of War with RPG elements than it is to any FPS like Borderlands. It's much more cover based and tactical, while Borderlands is far more fast paced and arcadey.

As to whether L4D2 and Borderlands are the same, VK is absolutely right, they're hardly alike at all beyond the fact that they both happen feature four person co-op and are FPSes.

Hey Tek, you remember that Borderlands 4-pack I tried to sell you on a little while ago? Back when it still had the 10% off preorder bonus and went for the low low price of $33.75? It may interest you to know that my roommate ended up being the fourth person in that whole deal, and judging by his steam profile, he hasn't even noticed that the game got released. You know, just in case you were wondering.
D'oh!

At this point, I'm leaning toward waiting for a Black Friday, especially since I'm predicting a dip in activity in Borderlands--in part because Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 released today and in part because I estimate that people will lose interest after the first or second full playthrough.

If/when the game goes on sale, there'll be a sudden influx of new players and more people ready to play the game through for the first time. I'd still welcome the opportunity to play Borderlands with some "veterans," but I don't want to waltz through the game with 3 players with level 50 characters who one-shot everything that moves.

I'm predicting that the 4-pack will go on sale if/when the single copies go on sale, so this thread is still relevant.

EDIT: Also, I bought Mass Effect last Thursday and still haven't started it since I was out of town for a wedding. Waiting for a sale will give me a chance to play through Mass Effect (and finish Ocarina of Time; I haven't forgotten!).

D'oh!

At this point, I'm leaning toward waiting for a Black Friday, especially since I'm predicting a dip in activity in Borderlands--in part because Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 released today and in part because I estimate that people will lose interest after the first or second full playthrough.

I don't think many of us will be buying MW2... for the PC at least. I want to rent it for PS3 for sure. The 5~7 hour campaign looks epic. :) And the game releases in 2 days for Steam owners. Zing.

Aaaand I dunno, me and Bass tried Playthrough 2 (the Newgame+ ~ a lot harder, better drops and EXP and the game scales with you)... and it was a blast. I'm wanting to hit 50 on 3 characters, so I personally will be playing it for awhile.

And I don't mind making a new toon when you pick up the game Tek. ;)

The 5~7 hour campaign looks epic. :)....

That doesn't strike me as epic... :p

Borderlands does look great, the co-op aspect is captivating and is something that would interest me.

However, when my winter break comes around I am hoping that Dragon Age will have a sale somewhere so I can get that.

Borderlands is my next game no doubt. But I decided I will be getting it for the 360.

Dragon Age will follow it, but that has to be on the PC, 360 version is way too gimped.

Sooo... what's going on? Tek, are you going to wait for Black Friday?
At this point, yes. With Left 4 Dead 2 coming out next Tuesday and with so many other great games available, I can't justify dropping $37.50 on a copy right now.

Still, if you're able to round up 3 others who are willing to drop the cash, feel free to use this thread to coordinate the purchase and subsequent reimbursements.

Babo and I bought borderlands - it was our Christmas present to each other!
We love it....very fun so far....we are on level 30 but want to try the other characters as welll so we will be playing it for a while.

Back