overclocking?

l33tben

hey i was wondering how you overclock a processor.....mine seems to be a bit slow for 1.3ghz so i thot...i need to know how to overclock...all help is appreciated! thx!

It's not safe indefinitely. I had an overclocked P2 400MHz back in the day, and I estimate that its lifespan of four years would have been much greater had I kept it stock. A lot of people think overclocking is just a neat trick to squeeze a little extra power out of the system, but most people don't understand that the extra little bit isn't free-- it comes at the cost of a shorter system lifespan.

Sort of like replacing a 60-watt bulb with an 80-watt bulb: you get a brighter light but it burns out faster.

Personally, I don't overclock (except my Alienware, which comes that way from the factory, but then, there's a lot of extra cooling involved), but I won't unilaterally say that nobody should overclock.

Last edited:
Most of the time, with overclocking it draws alot of voltage from the psu, thats why it's life span is shortened. However, people with mid/low end systems would rather make out the best of things, and thats hwy they oc the system.

My advice is, do not overclock without an expert or a veteran who's at least done it several times before. Have him ready on aim/msn over second computer or better yet, right next to you. and, gl hf.

what about a gateway 1.8 ghz running xp? .. maybe if i make it look like a lightning storm killed our PC my parents will get a new one :cool:

gateways(i used to work for them) do not support overclocking either..nor do dell, compaq..or just about any other big brand name pc.

What about a Mac? or a Power Mac G-series?

Last edited:
prolly ur best bet with anything name brand from the huge companies IE dell etc do not allow over clocking, I over clock my hardware but then again I have much better cooling then stock 2500+ goes a long way overclocked :p but yes it's trial and error before u get decent and some things can't go as far as others like my 1900+ only oc'd 200mhz more before it wouldn't go farther so I just read online and tried myself but if ur computer challenged I would recommend not to do so

one note on older computers: if you have a p2, or old 400mhz celeron, those can sometimes be under-clocked by the bios. ive had to make rightful adjustments on my old systems to run at average potential, but normally overclocking is a bad idea, especially if ur like me and have the compaq amd athlon that runs currently at 60C >_<

custom built ftw

my cpu's running 2.4 while stock is at 2.0. It's cuz intel sux (imo) and i want an amd and i don't hav $$.

OC at ur own risk. Highering voltage and waht not will definitely reduce life span.

INTEL P4! PWNS ALL!!!!!

and if you have a mac it is about time to upgrade to a big boy computer go get a intel or amd computer

I have an old Celeron 333 that is over clocked from the day I put it together to 416mhz. The trick is to ensure you have a mobo that supports over clocking, that you do it in increments starting low and working to higher speeds, and most importantly realize that you may end up burning out your system. With today’s systems I personally see little use for over clocking. If you have a 2.0Ghz CPU and you do successfully over clock to 2.4 AND it is stable, you still only have gained a 400mhz improvement which is only a 20% improvement in CPU speed. That is not a 20% improvement in overall system performance. CPU speed is not the only way to increase your performance. Some of the best ways to do that, instead of over clocking, is to increase RAM or upgrade your video card. If your system seems to be running slower than it should, try defragging your HD or even wiping the entire drive clean and reinstalling everything.
My point is try doing normal upgrades to improve performance rather than O/C the CPU. But if you really want to look into doing this you might want to start here: http://www.overclockers.com/
If you want to look at tweaking WinXP for better performance look here: http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP Services.htm

Back