Pally Tank Coaching??

Bald Guy

was wondering with all the great tank pally's in our guild if anyone had anything written up to help me get started learning to tank on my pally. he just hit 70 and i have lvl'd up as a Ret. but have spent the gold already to duel spec so i could start learning before i hit 80. any help??
Thx in advance!!

See monster? Go make monster hate you more then then the healer healing you. Tanking lesson complete.

Anything you need to know I'll help gladly.. :) I can write up a few things this afternoon.

Last edited:
was wondering with all the great tank pally's in our guild if anyone had anything written up to help me get started learning to tank on my pally. he just hit 70 and i have lvl'd up as a Ret. but have spent the gold already to duel spec so i could start learning before i hit 80. any help??
Thx in advance!!

Activate bosanc, drop consecrate, hit a mob with avengers shield, go get a coke while dps downs mob, come back in a few minutes to move on to the next one..

Some good stuff already in this thread, so I won't repeat it. I learned a lot from Maintankadin.com, but that's mostly for raiding. For advice on instances and heroics, just whisper me!

Are you going prot now? Prot is actually a decent leveling spec from 70-80 because you can tank so many mobs and aoe em down.

I'll have a full tempered saronite set ready for you when you hit 78 if you hurry!

Pallies are a pretty fun class and quite powerful too. I have never tried Ret actually. Anyways, Grimbeorn got me to work on my 969 rotation for pally tanking and I think he got it from Sandric. Most of your spells/power shots have a cooldown of 6 or 9 secs. You bascially want to fire off a 6 sec cooldown (ie- Hammer of Righteousness/Shield of Righteousness), then a 9 sec cooldown (ie - Holy Shield, Consecrate, Judgement Wisdom), now back to a 6 sec cooldown (ie- Hammer of Right/Shield of Right), back to a 9 sec cooldown (ie - Holy Shield, Cons, Judge Wisdom) and just rinse and repeat the cycle of 6969, whatever ability is up.

These are some nice clips, making a macro would make it really easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPJP-LE2dIE&feature=fvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17gYjce4P7E&feature=related

Also, remember to have your Righteous Fury/Blessing of Sanctuary on @ all times and a Seal (most guys like seal of Vengence). I like Veng too, but I find it runs out of mana fast. I like Veng in raids because there's lots of mana regen buffs in raids, but for heroics I like using the Mana regen seal (seal of wisdom?). You also have this ability that gives you 20% more dps and it has a long cooldown (2 mins?), that's a good one to pop @ the beginning of boss fights for extra aggro.

Anyways good luck pally tanking and have fun. :D

Last edited:
Pallies are a pretty fun class and quite powerful too. I have never tried Ret actually. Anyways, Grimbeorn got me to work on my 969 rotation for pally tanking and I think he got it from Sandric. Most of your spells/power shots have a cooldown of 6 or 9 secs. You bascially want to fire off a 6 sec cooldown (ie- Hammer of Righteousness/Shield of Righteousness), then a 9 sec cooldown (ie - Holy Shield, Consecrate, Judgement Wisdom), now back to a 6 sec cooldown (ie- Hammer of Right/Shield of Right), back to a 9 sec cooldown (ie - Holy Shield, Cons, Judge Wisdom) and just rinse and repeat the cycle of 6969, whatever ability is up.

These are some nice clips, making a macro would make it really easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPJP-LE2dIE&feature=fvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17gYjce4P7E&feature=related

Also, remember to have your Righteous Fury/Blessing of Sanctuary on @ all times and a Seal (most guys like seal of Vengence). I like Veng too, but I find it runs out of mana fast. I like Veng in raids because there's lots of mana regen buffs in raids, but for heroics I like using the Mana regen seal (seal of wisdom?). You also have this ability that gives you 20% more dps and it has a long cooldown (2 mins?), that's a good one to pop @ the beginning of boss fights for extra aggro.

Anyways good luck pally tanking and have fun. :D

This is pretty good advice, the 96969 being from maintankadin.com. Vengeance should pretty much be used at all times - let other pallies use other seals if they are present. The 96969 I've found to be more useful in a raiding environment, although it will pretty much work anywhere. I think heroics actually require a lot more thought and skill because of pulls, several targets, watching out for your party, and so on. You can't simply spam 96969 and be ok. You're going to need to know your taunts/stuns, which one to use when, and who to be targeting when they're used.

half a lvl left for 75 and the tanking begins! thx y'all so much for the help. anyone that has some alts and would like to run a rookie tank thru some would be much appreciated!

pally tanking = faceroll on keyboard

:p

you're just biased you silly warrior tank ;)

I'm getting towards higher end instances (lvl 68 pally tank) and it seems fairly easy to keep aggro...im wanting to know if there's a macro i can make that would automatically target say...the healer of the group and combine it to my taunt...i have an idea of what it would look like but i wonder if there's a smaller macro then having to do the whole focus macro thing (making the healer the focus then making a macro to go towards your focus...blaaah)

Also just curious...in raids do pallies talk to each other and discuss who's going to judge what? :p

pally tanking = faceroll on keyboard

:p

That used to be the case. Well actually, in TBC, it was make sure consecrate was up and you win. Thankfully it has gotten more complex. I now have to make sure to hit Shield of Righteousness too in between consecrate spam to keep Divine Plea active and then just profit.

you're just biased you silly warrior tank ;)

I'm getting towards higher end instances (lvl 68 pally tank) and it seems fairly easy to keep aggro...im wanting to know if there's a macro i can make that would automatically target say...the healer of the group and combine it to my taunt...i have an idea of what it would look like but i wonder if there's a smaller macro then having to do the whole focus macro thing (making the healer the focus then making a macro to go towards your focus...blaaah)

Also just curious...in raids do pallies talk to each other and discuss who's going to judge what? :p

You are going to make me give up all my secrets. Here is my righteous defense macro:

Code:
#showtooltip Righteous Defense
/cast [target=target,noharm] Righteous Defense; [target=targettarget,noharm] Righteous Defense

This macro works for your current target and the target of your target. So, a mob is pealing off from the pack to attack the raid, I target the mob and hit this macro or I noticed on grid someone taking spike damage that is not a tank (insert Reco) I click on the person in grid then hit my macro.

As far as judging, we sometimes do. It is generally accepted at this point that ret gets wisdom (benefits all dps/tanks with mana bars), holy gets light (benefits all melee) and prot gets justice (attack speed debuff when talented for it and justice because the other two roles will not overwrite). That is in priority too if you don't have 3 pallies. Wisdom > Light > Justice.

1/2 a lvl to 75 and then i start working on it! thx y'all. anyone that has a alt that wants to run anything, just let me know. always good to learn with guildies who are kind instead of pugs that are not....LOL
thx again y'all!!

Back