Pandora vs. iHeartRadio

XionTawa

RULE #1: DO NOT POST HERE IF YOU HAVE NOT TRIED BOTH SERVICES TO THE POINT OF HAVING A GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF THEM BOTH.

RULE #2: No just saying one is better than the other, without explaining why.

GO!

-----------------------------------

My pros and cons lists

Pandora:
Pros
  • Easy to use.
  • Lots of genres.
  • Good mobile app.
  • Nice bookmarking system.
Cons
  • Very intrusive ads.
  • Premium service doesn't offer much.
  • Genres aren't that smart, and don't stick for custom stations.
  • Certain "duh" features and services are hard to find or just do not exist.

iHeartRadio:
Pros
  • Kinda easy to use.
  • Real radio stations as an option.
  • Very nice interface, and options are right where you expect them to be.
  • Have yet to see any ads.
Cons
  • Very few genres.
  • The real radio stations are nice, but there isn't a large selection, none from my area.
  • Mobile app buggy.

Why compare only these two? How about Grooveshark, Hype Machine, and Jango?

IHeartRadio is a free app with no commercials right now (ads come in April), its fantastic. I use it every day and it took Pandora's place.

I like Grooveshark on the web for finding a particular song, but for daily listening I get my talk radio and my mix songs from IHeart.

Never heard of the other 2.

Why compare only these two? How about Grooveshark, Hype Machine, and Jango?

Grooveshark does not compare with these 2 (unless they have added a radio feature and mobile apps to iOS and android [non-jailbreak]), it is a music specific service, which I use MOG for, and find MOG is much better than Grooveshark, Spotify, Rhapsody, Rdio, and many many others.

I have never heard of the other 2, searching for hype machine on my phone (where I use an internet radio service most), I see a $3 app, already a turn off (but might be worth research in the future). Jango (in quick look) seems to have potential, but would also require more research before I would use it. I also didn't see another outside of a basic "Christian & Gospel" genre, which is fail, hopefully the screens aren't doing it justice.

Also, a Google search has informed me about a Slacker radio, and I have heard of that one. AHHHH!!! NET RADIO OVERLOAD!!!

EDIT: Just downloaded the Jango app, and it might get the boot before me trying it simply because their app icon is not retina >_< I hatez the apps without pretty icons, LOL!

Last edited:
Ok, I didn't realize this was an iPhone app review. my bad.

Ok, I didn't realize this was an iPhone app review. my bad.

(comment that will most likely get ignored goes here) :(

Now to respond to you: While I mainly use it on my iPhone, if a service doesn't have both an iOS and Android app, and good one at that, then what good is the service. Honestly, I don't know anyone who sits on their computer for hours just to listen to music, heh.

Last edited:
Is there iHeart for Roku? Pandora stays on my Roku about 9 hrs a day, would like to compare if there is another FREE service.

Is there iHeart for Roku? Pandora stays on my Roku about 9 hrs a day, would like to compare if there is another FREE service.

iHeart is on XBL, and Pandora is on Roku, I can use either. And I thought I heard they are making a Roku app. So far Pandora is winning and losing for me. Winning due to bookmarking and better genres. Losing because it's variety of songs is lacking, listening to their "Christian Rock" station often repeats songs within only 2-3 hours of listening, and by songs I mean 3-5. However, iHeart doesn't even have a "Christian Rock" station.

Jango's "Christian Rock" station is more like Contemporary Christian (I do not see Caedmon's Call, Jeremy Camp, Fee, etc as Rock).

Pandora was the winner hands down. But I used to just pick a Christian Rock/Metal artist, and it would play other Christian Rock/Metal. Now if I choose Demon Hunter/Skillet/etc radio, is mixes in a lot of secular music. Which completely killed Pandora for me. :(

But iHeart not having a Christian Rock station to begin with kinda gimps it. And it also plays secular music when choosing bands like Demon Hunter or The Devil Wears Prada. BAH! :(

Honestly, I don't know anyone who sits on their computer for hours just to listen to music, heh.

Well when your computer is hooked up to a home theater sound system...
That said I don't sit at the computer listening -not when I can turn it up a bit and listen all the way across the house. Just sayin'.

Set up iHeart on my comp for a test drive. Found a radio station that has fairly good christian rock, not contemporary, rock. I like the difference in music for a change, but the features of iHeart are definitely skimpy when compared to Pandora. Also when I went looking for Bluegrass all iHeart found was a bunch of stuff that would cost me, sorry on a limited budget. Finding actual radio stations though was a real help with iHeart. Man does not live on station K-love alone.
edit: I don't mind not having a large number of radio stations locally, but do enjoy the large selection available from around the country for different genres.

Last edited:
Back