Pandora

ursen

Officer SOE/LoE/Where's "here"?
Ok it took me a while but I have discovered Pandora, I play it through my Roku player. I'm struggling some with building some decent stations, a good mix of secular and Christian. What is proving difficult is zeroing in on classical Christian Rock, early Petra, Barry Mc Guire, Larry Norman etc., even a little later semi rock like Don Fransisco. Any tips on how best to do this? Hey I will even take a little White Heart.

Sadly you can't really "zero in" on a particular era of a band. It's pretty much all of the bands stuff, and stuff that sounds like it in a station. Keep your skips handy :D

I have a crazy long list of pandora stations :p

The two MUST have stations, however, are Def Leppard and 80s hair metal....

add multiple groups that you like to a station, listen, and then use the thumbs up / down buttons. Over time it's supposed to learn your music preferences.

The major problem with that, and it popped up while attempting to build a classic Christian station, is that some of the songs for the classic I would rather have on a secular classic station. Then there is the skip issue, you are allowed only so many skips in a set time frame.

Yah but if you make a lot of stations with the same genre you should be able to switch between all of them and skipping which ever ones you don't like. If you use your 6 up in an hour on once station, go to another and you got 6 more skips.

The major problem with that, and it popped up while attempting to build a classic Christian station, is that some of the songs for the classic I would rather have on a secular classic station. Then there is the skip issue, you are allowed only so many skips in a set time frame.

I have doubts anyway that it'd work to create the specific type of station you want. If you enter Stryper, I would expect it to either: 1) Grab classic secular rock, or 2) Grab modern CCM or older light-Christian stuff (I'm sure you don't want Sandi Patty in your station!) :)

Regardless of whether it does work or not, remember to use the thumbs down for stuff you don't want on that station instead of skip. Skipping doesn't teach Pandora your preferences. Thumbs UP and DOWN are what helps the station become custom tailored to your preferences.

I just created a Steve Taylor station just for fun. The first few groups that played in order are: Steve Taylor, Guardian, Sanctus Real, and then Steve Taylor again. Seems like a promising station so far without any modifications.

Just to throw out some other streaming music websites, check out Spotify or Mog. Unlike Pandora, you can pick and choose exactly what you want to listen to instead of the program randomly picking things based on what you have liked and disliked. I haven't played with either too much since Pandora fulfills my want to be aware of new secular top hits (can't seem to listen to Christian music at work since it usually gets me sleepy ^^;;).

Just to throw out some other streaming music websites, check out Spotify or Mog. Unlike Pandora, you can pick and choose exactly what you want to listen to instead of the program randomly picking things based on what you have liked and disliked. I haven't played with either too much since Pandora fulfills my want to be aware of new secular top hits (can't seem to listen to Christian music at work since it usually gets me sleepy ^^;;).

Grooveshark.com too. I've played around with them all. Sometimes I like being able to choose my music and build a playlist, and sometimes I just go with the random stuff.

Last.FM is another random service like Pandora too.

I don't think any of the above suggestions are available on Roku. Although I may try them while playing GW on my comp.

I don't think any of the above suggestions are available on Roku. Although I may try them while playing GW on my comp.

haha, yeah...forgot you're using a Roku. You're right, none of them are.

Last.FM works via Xbox Live if you have one of those. (guessing no)

I have a Roku too and love it, but I also have a Mac Mini hooked up to my TV. I never use the Roku for music and always end up streaming from the computer. Usually music is more for while I'm working and the TV is for video after work. That's just my personal style though.

If you use the Roku, I think your only free music option is Pandora. There is at least one paid music service listed in the Roku channel store...can't remember what it's called. I won't pay for music though.

Back