Passion of the Christ

I think it means long as in like shoulder lenght, and there weren't many barbers back then..Anyway, I saw the movie. I thought it was AWSOME. Although, there were somethings that were strange.

*SPOILERS*

The crow pecking the eyes out of the unrepentful robber was unneeded. I'm also confused at which what the baby was Satan was holding, but a lady that works with my mom's pastor thinks it was the Anti Christ. My sister also had an idea that the donkey Judas got the rope from may have been the donkey Jesus rode on.

Praise God for using Mel to bring some truth to Hollywood!!

Questions:

1. My wife and I also didn't quite get the "baby" (if you can call that thing a baby) Satan was holding during Jesus' walk to the Skull Hill.

My wife suggested an answer though: that Satan was using that just to show Jesus how even he would care for his own son, but God had forsaken him, trying to discourage Jesus in his sacrifice.

Anyone has other ideas about this?

2. The girl that comes to offer Jesus her veil so he can mop the blood in his face: where is that in the Gospels? I've heard about this piece of cloth with Jesus' face imprinted on it, but don't recall reading this in my NIV anywhere... (the closest I can recall is when they offer Jesus the vinegar and myrr, but that was at the cross already...)

Great movie... those who didn't see it, should definitely go. Those who did, should invite a non-believer friend and see it again!!! Support Mel Gibson by taking as many friends as you can: the more people see the movie, the longer it will stay showing in the theaters!!

commenting on the long hair thing, it mentions in the new testement that...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 1 Corinthians 11:14

...but you have to be careful here because it is one sentence. If you ONLY look at this sentence, it states that it is a SHAME (not a sin) for a man to have long hair. However, as I mentioned before, this is only one sentence.

It is important to pay attention to the context of what you're reading, and it also helps to know the culture of who the text is being written to.

By only looking at this one verse, one could easily point out a big contradiction in the bible since the old testement tells us that Samson was told to never cut his hair.

However, by reading verses leading up to and after the 'long hair is shameful for men' verse, it talks about the importance of men and women having a place designated by God...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. verse 3

...then it goes on to talk about the importance of honoring God in our prayer. It also mentions that a man should never have his head covered and a woman should never shave her head.

I honestly don't think I'm explaining my thoughts very well and I'm limited on time, so I can do a little more research on this organize my thoughts.

My basic understanding of it though is that the long hair this is partially a cultural thing.

I would suggest simply reading all of 1 Corinthians 11 and see what you think about the importance of the meaning of that verse in context.

Do yourself a favor, don't read this post if you havent seen the movie yet.

All the hype about this movie and spoilers damaged the experience of seeing it for me. Instead of watching the movie mindlessly, enjoying it, and really getting deep into it, I kept thinking about things that I had already heard. Like that it was anti-semitic, and then the parts that were taken from catholic mythology. Like the part about the crow pecking out the guy's eyes and other parts that weren't taken from the bible. But when I saw the movie, alot of the time I was thinking. I was thinking about the things that I had heard about the movie, and not paying attention as much as I could have been. The media that I had heard pulled me away from the movie. It was still a cool movie though, but i think it impacted my friends more
smile.gif

wasnt Jesus also a Nazerin? (same thing as sampson they never cut their hair) not sure if its biblical, but thought i heard that somewhere/

His mother and step father were from Nazereth, He was born in Bethelaham, but he was raised in Galilee.

I don't know if this has already been said... but...

It's cool to have discussions about the movie, but I would ask you all:

Please refrain from criticising over stupid little things

I think it's GREAT that finally someone in Hollywood is standing up for our Lord. And I am rejoicing over this movie and truly hope that Mr. Gibson (or someone else even) Makes a Biblically acurate sequel about Christ's ressurrection.

That is all.

Thanks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LionOfJudah @ Feb. 29 2004,7:31)]wasnt Jesus also a Nazerin? (same thing as sampson they never cut their hair) not sure if its biblical, but thought i heard that somewhere/
I guess if the hair discussion continues it should probably become a seperate posting, but to answer your question...

Jesus was a Nazarene because he came from Nazareth.

Samson on the other hand was not a Nazarene, but he did take a Nazarite vow which has absolutely nothing to do with Nazareth. I don't have all the info on what the vow exactally entails, but my wife said that it had dietary restrictions as well as other things. You can probably find the information in the story of Samson, or you can probably find information on it somewhere on the internet. (just make sure it comes from a reliable source)

I don't think Jesus being from Nazareth would have any impact on whether or not he had long hair.

In reading the one passage that talks about long hair on men, it seems to me that it is communicating the importance of the roles that God has defined.

Yeah, I was hoping the movie would carry on into Jesus coming back and seeing the looks on Mary/the diciples faces but maybe Mel had reasons for going no further.

There's one thing that isn't close to being accurate. After Jesus died, one of the Pharisees cried. Which isn't true, because they were not sad that He died.

If I may Jango, Joseph of Arimathea (the guy who asked Pilate for the body of Jesus) was part of the Sanhedrin (as was Nicodemus). Not all the rulers of the Sanhedrin (even depicted in the movie) condemned Jesus. You might be confusing all Jews rulers as Pharisees but that is not accurate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jango @ Mar. 01 2004,11:15)]There's one thing that isn't close to being accurate. After Jesus died, one of the Pharisees cried. Which isn't true, because they were not sad that He died.
No sin is so great it can't be forgiven. For all we know, Caiphas may have had a death-bed conversion. God showed with Saul that even the most vile can become instruments of His will.

Well, we see Caiaphas in Acts, and he is no different. ( He has Stephen, a prophet, killed. )
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]No sin is so great it can't be forgiven.
Then you bring into account the unforgiveable sin.
"And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come." ( Matthew 12:31-32 )

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jango @ Mar. 03 2004,8:57)]Then you bring into account the unforgiveable sin.
"And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come." ( Matthew 12:31-32 )
So, then, what defines "blasphemy against the Spirit"? Would it be accurate to say that if I say something derogatory about the Holy Spirit then no matter what I do from that point forward I am doomed to hell?

By the way, my question isn't really a debating question. I don't argue the validity of your quote or that Jesus was serious when he said those words. I just don't know what it means to blaspheme the Spirit in such a way that I am no longer even within Christ's saving scope.

Back