Plotless Challenge

cheeseo

Hey all, been a while since I have checked out the forums, work, school and the like keeping me busy and such. Writing has been great and I miss posting my stuff.

Now this is kind of random, I came up with this idea last night and I thought I would post it and see if anyone else might be up to the challenge as well.

The goal behind this challenge is simply to write with as little planning as possible. The idea is to get a basic story line and then just run with the plan, making everything up as you go along. I find it to be a great challenge for myself as a writer and I find that this could be an enjoyable task. This project will not have a hard copy in hand written form simply because it's faster to type and you get less time to think and change how you want the flow to go. The story that you write is to be edited as little as possible for authenticity and simple enjoyment. If you haven't figured it out yet, the idea is to show how well you can cope with the holes you may accidentally dig yourself into. you may change a few things here and there as you re-read it and find that you like to word something differently. With that in mind, you cannot not make any major changes to the flow of the story and try your best to make things work out for your characters by thinking ahead. As a side note, this is not a challenge to get you to write on a more consistent basis, but rather to see how well you can craft a story from what you are given.

As a taste, everything that follows is the result of me simply sitting down for about half an hour, with ABSOLUTELY NOT PLAN WHATSOEVER and just typing. (as a side not, I came up with the name late and I think that's ok :p)

Faceless

Long ago, on a planet far from this place, there was a great evil. This evil consumed all beings on that planet. It drove the beings there mad, corrupted the once good leaders, and caused the beasts to become nothing more than bloodthirsty lumps of meat. This evil was ruled by a monstrous man consumed in shadow. No being on that planet knew who this evil man was, but there was no man or woman on that planet who didn’t know what he wanted; destruction. This man spread his evil for many many years, and eventually consumed and destroyed the planet itself. But the man’s thirst for destruction was not quenched. He then moved on to another planet, and continued to destroy planet after planet turning them into nothingness. After he had consumed over a hundred planets he reached a planet that he found to be interesting, for he could not consume its beings-which were not unlike humans. He struggled and struggled and found a weakness that they all shared. Through this weakness he began to consume them. This planet was not unlike our own, and he consumed it bit by bit, city by city. After many years he had consumed half the planet, and he knew that this planet’s conquest was all but complete. It was at this time that he met a man on this planet who did not share the weakness of all the others. This man was named Nimrod. Nimrod was a mighty warrior, a master craftsman, and was considered to be far wiser than any other man on that planet. He was kind, slow to anger, and strong willed, and above all, he was a noble good person with a pure heart. He battled the evil man, and for many years, halted the destruction of the planet. Eventually he grew old, for Nimrod was very human like and bore a very limited lifespan, unlike the evil man. Before he passed though, he had raised another child to be his successor, and gave his weapon to that child. That child had grown to be an adult by the time that he became the successor, but that child’s heart-though he was a good person-was not pure. When he battled the evil man he fell easily to the corruption and temptation that was offered. Nimrod’s successor gave up his weapon and in exchange, was given long life much like the evil man. Together these two continued to consume the planet. Eventually they completed the task, and had consumed all but that small area that they could not destroy: the place where Nimrod’s weapon rested. However with that being the only spec of anything left out of the entire planet, the weapon was lost and likely never to be found. They continued their conquest of the universe, gaining strength from every person that resisted them as Nimrod’s successor had tried and failed. Though there were the few planets that bore peoples who had grown to the point where they could flee the planet and survive in the deep of space. Those that did survived and began to think of ways to battle the evil man. These peoples grew wiser, stronger, and with that wisdom and strength, they began to think that they could battle the evil man and his darkness. However they lacked pure hearts; and so nearly all fell to temptation or were consumed and destroyed. Though many planets had been consumed the evil man saw that he had barely even began to conquer the entirety of the vast universe. And so he sent out his minions, everyone who had fallen to his temptation and had consumed worlds beside him were sent out in all directions in order to destroy the universe all the quicker. This is the story of the downfall of that evil.

Last edited:
wOOt!!! I like your beginning and await more! I just love and hate spontaneous writing lol!!!

I know what you mean, it's so stinking hard not to think about it when I like the plot idea so much. That said, it's really interesting to see what becomes of the plot that I have nothing on. It leaves so much open. This is going to be fun.

I could have swore I had put that in there, but I guess I was only thinking it and neglected to type it. :eek: You hit the nail on the head, the idea is that you can't make any changes that would effect the plot line, once something has been said, you can't change what is meant. Personally I don't mind the idea of changing the way something is worded, so long as it doesn't lose it's original meaning.

As a side note, I sat down in barns and noble with my little brother a few days ago with only my laptop...and a store full of books but that's not the point. I ended up writing somewhere above 1,100 words in this challenge. It's funny how much one can come up with on the spot like that and fit it all together. I would have kept going too, if my little brother didn't get bored.

Back