Prayer Request

cadeyrn

Hi everyone. I have a prayer request for my family. I graduated from seminary about 18 months ago and have been looking for a church to pastor since then. There have been many bumps in the road. Currently I am working at a retail store that has decided to close permanently at the end of this month. About two months ago I was contacted by a church who's senior pastor is retiring (and is close to my in-laws). Two weeks ago, after having two interviews, the elders voted to make me a candidate. I had a third interview last night. Although many things are up in the air, it appears that the plan for my candidacy is to have me do some preaching and possibly be involved in a few other ministry activities for a period of three or four months (starting in January) before deciding on whether to hire me as the new pastor. To make matters complicated, I have just been approached by another church (though only part time, and half-way between my parents and my wife's parents) that would most likely hire me quickly. Finally, due to the birth of our daughter this year we have a lot of medical bills (about $5500 left, after insurance and what we have already payed), on top of other bills, including student loans.

Now that you know the situation, here are the prayer requests:
1. That God will provide (and yes, I know He always does) for my family (myself, my wife, and our 3 month old daughter).
2. That God will give us wisdom in knowing how to proceed.

Thank you very much for your prayers.

A word of encouragement (depending on how you take it) - the longest period I was ever out of consistent work was the year after I graduated from seminary. My wife got work before I did - I worked odd jobs while looking for a church. The whole process took a year - and included working part time at a church until I found a full time position. But God was there through the whole thing and finally gave me the church I needed and that needed my gifts.

One thing about the "work for three or four months before we decide" thing. Nothing wrong with that as long as you let them know that until they decide you have to keep looking. If they are not good with that - I'd not get involved. Sounds like they are a pretty controlling congregation.

Praying for wisdom and your decision.

Same thoughts, and prayers as last night.

edit: I can't but help to think about the denomination, or lack of denomination, end of things. It sounds like independent of denomination search to me, so be open to where God might place you, even if it is a totally new direction in terms of denomination. There is something to be said of a system like the Salvation Army. They pay the full freight, including living costs even if you have a family, to Officer's College, then immediately send you to where you are needed on graduation. The flip side to that coin is that it is one of the lowest paying ministerial positions out there, although they do meet all basic living expenses. Even the higher officer positions are paid on the basis of family size, and not position level. Hence the National Commander makes about 19k a year. Commitment to God is the ultimate focus.

Last edited:
Here is the current state of things: We have decided to cease candidating at the church. There are simply too many issues that concern us. We are now pursuing the other church I mentioned. They have invited me to preach the first weekend of January. At that time I will also be meeting with the elders, receiving a tour of the area, and there will be a church dinner. We are excited to meet the people at this church and to see if this is where God is calling us.

Yesterday we received a blessing. Someone, anonymously, sent us a Christmas card with $80 and a $25 gift card. God provides.

Thank you all for your prayers so far, and for the ones that we know you will say in the future!

Update: We candidated at the church last weekend. It went very well. Yesterday one of the elders called to tell us the church voted to extended the call to us. We have accepted and should be moving sometime in the next couple of weeks. Thank you for all your prayers!

God is EXTRA good, ALL the time!

Thank you for taking the time to show how your prayer became a HUGE PRAISE.

We all know with God all things are possible just sometimes take longer than we want........but again it's all in HIS timing for HIS purpose.

I hope you and your family are truly blessed there and that you are able to bring God's blessings to others.

Blessings and Hugs, "Angel"

Back