preorder april 10th!!!

"Pre-Order and Pre-Purchase are the same"
This could not be further from the truth.

1 has guaranteed access to ALL beta weekends and 3 day head start.
other has 1 day head start.

No, I KNOW it's not the same... What do you do when the only retailer selling the CE in North America DOESN'T know it's not the same!?! Gah!

GameStop Y U No a Good Store!?!

I'm just going to walk in on Tuesday, and see if they're a little better informed by then. But am I right in thinking that there's no way for them to "sell out" of the CE... because it's not actually in the store yet?

Oh ok. Thanks for the clarification. Their website seemed to imply that you could pre-purchase through them. So, if you "pre-purchase" through a retailer, is that an actual pre-purchase or is that considered a pre-order? I was under the impression that you could only pre-purchase through the website.

*Edit: Found the info in their FAQ. I didn't look close enough the first time:
How does physical Pre-Purchase work?
Physical Pre-Purchase for Guild Wars 2 is only available at select retailers. The details of how this will work will differ slightly depending on which edition customers purchase and where they purchase it.

Standard Edition (North America)—Customers will buy the Standard Edition Pre-Purchase box and receive a Pre-Purchase serial code. They will then go to https://register.guildwars2.com and follow the on-screen instructions to create a Guild Wars 2 account and apply the serial code, which will give them access to Beta Weekend Events, the Hero's Band digital item, and three-day Headstart Access to the final game. When Guild Wars 2 launches, customers will need to return to the retailer with proof of purchase to receive the full Standard Edition box and retail serial code. They will need to apply this retail serial code to their Guild Wars 2 account within five days to continue playing without interruption.

Standard Edition (Europe)—Customers will buy the Standard Edition Pre-Purchase box and receive their serial code. This is the only serial code customers will receive and will grant access to the Beta Weekend Events, three-day Headstart Access, the Hero's Band digital item, and full access to the final live game. Customers will not need to return to retail to receive another serial code.

Collector's Edition (North America and Europe)—Customers will buy the Collector's Edition Pre-Purchase box and receive a Pre-Purchase serial code. They will then go to https://register.guildwars2.com and follow the on-screen instructions to create a Guild Wars 2 account and apply the serial code, which will give them access to Beta Weekend Events and three-day Headstart Access to the final game. When Guild Wars 2 launches, customers will need to return to their retailer with proof of purchase to receive the full Collector's Edition box with physical items and retail serial code. They will need to apply this retail serial code to their Guild Wars 2 account within five days to continue playing without interruption.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that - very helpful. Have they posted the select retailers yet?

And of the three, gamestop is the only retailer selling the collector's edition. The other two for pre-purchase purposes will only be digital as far as I can tell. The pre-order is just the one day vs 3 day early access, but you don't pay in full until it actually ships.

None of these seem to include physical discs, and I can't tell yet if discs will be even a part of the "box" in any version.

The other thing you get with pre-purchase is guaranteed access to all the beta weekends.

Oh, and you get the Hero's Band with pre-purchase
What benefits does the Hero's Band provide?
The Hero's Band is an in-game ring that will be available to every character on your account. When worn by your character, the ring provides the following benefits: +2 Power, +2 Precision, +2 Toughness, +2 Vitality, +2 Condition Damage, +2% Critical Damage, +2 Healing.

Last edited:
Another note for anyone not in the US: each area is region-locked, in that if you buy a North American copy, you can only log in while in North America, european copies in europe, etc. They are looking into travel for those who do frequently, but the region lock will be in place at launch.

Purchasing a digital version directly from their website will sort you into the correct region.

Last edited:
FYI to those in America wanting CE and who love GameStop as much as I do: Best Buy was just announced as a place to pre-purchase CE.

From this site - it looks like the only place you can pre-purchase GW2 CE in the USA is at Gamestop. Is that correct? Am I missing something?

Also, if you go to the Gamestop site - it says the release date is 6-26-2012.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, Ewoks. That's helpful in tracking all this. Everybody be sure to sound off tomorrow about how your prepurchase experience goes.

I purchased the Deluxe Ed, took 6 mins of pressing 'try again'... now trying repeatedly to register.. that's gonna take a while I think. But Yay!!!!!!!!!!

Got my deluxe edition - seamless process - took less than five minutes total purchase and registration.

Back