Priest Build Decision - Your input needed!

Dukatt

My priest has just reached 45 and I am beginning to decide on my end game build. I have decided that being a heal bot is the way I will go but there are so many builds to consider.

Here is what I feel is the best one for over all benefit to my group and a healbot.
Build Linky

My main issue at this point is Mental Strength vs. Spiritual Healing.

Now feel free to chime in. (e.g. which is better, how noobish my build is, links to better builds, telling me I should stick to mages and leave the priest work to the professionals.)

To be honest, I have found that the spirit of redemption is really rather useless. Yes, you gain one last heal, but in the vast majority of situations where you die, you'll be out of range of most of your party -- so you'll end up spamming a healing prayer. Even in large groups in AV, I found the prayer fails to hit anybody over half the time. Putting the points into spiritual healing will heal add more healing while you're alive than that one heal when you're dead.

I also dumped the holy nova. Yeah, it's great to be able to do AOE, but it's nothing compared to a mage, and I'm specced primarily for raiding so it's useless except for just having fun.

I'd do something more like this. It's a true healbot, and since you lose mental strength, you're a bit more reliant on potions, but you do a ton of healing.
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...523013010010023504003030005500000000000000000

As an aside, I think I'm going to respec as a shadow priest for the next month or so. We're doing fewer guild raids until September so now might be a good time to play around before they really need your max healing again.

I'd go more along the lines of this http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...123013050510023503103030005000000000000000000

In terms of your spec, unbreakable will is much better than wand spec. And Holy spec is a must, especially if you are getting inspiration.

As a matter of personal preference, I tend to like mental agility or mental strength more than silent resolve.

Also I think holy nova is a good talent to grab. It gives you a little more flexibility in smaller groups and solo play. At the same time there are a few high end instances where holy nova is pretty useful. Like when you are fighting lava surgers in mc, the vaelstraz fight in bwl, the whelp room in bwl, etc.

This is a great topic. I am going to respec at lvl 60 for pure Healing Powa. I dont care how I can solo I just want to be a heal BOT. My personal goal is to be a better Priest than Avesther. Hehe J/K Avesther, but seriously I want to be a Priest in MC that when my name is mentioned every group wishes to have me cuz they get the ubber heals. What is the best spec to accomplish this. I would guess Discipline, Holy but not sure what is best to allocate my points into. Feedback needed. Maybe your spec Avesther.

Off the top of my head id go mostly Disc and then holy, with loads of +healing.

With the points in Disc, you increase your mana pool and therefore decrease the chance that you go OOM during a fight. The +healing you can easily get. Most items are + dmg and healing. Crimson felt hat for example. Baron run, 8 int and 8 stam and +30 to damage/healing. There is a turban from an UBRS run that gives 9 int and 36 to damage/healing as well as 1% chance to crit with spells.

Last edited:
I have spent about 500 gold trying different specs. The 26d/25h spec I've settled on is the best for me. I find Shadow, even if you are just PvP oriented just doesn't cut it. The true strength of the priest lies in healing, even in PvP. I can out heal upto 5 people pounding on a single target. Ask Azzie, we held the farm in Arathi Basin for a solid 5 minutes of constant attacks from the horde that came in groups of 3 to 5, just the two of us. I think in the end, there was 7 or 8 horde that finally did us in.

My experience has been that 5 points in mental strength = 5 points in spiritual healing. I prefer the bigger mana pool because PvP gear lacks Int.

If you are looking for a non-shadow PvP build, look at this build. This is something I wiped together in 5 seconds. You get 15% more damage from your holy spells and +10% to crit on them and 20% to range on smite and holy fire and the improved innerfire. You get a lot of similiar benefits that you get in Shadow, almost equal to the damage output and mitigation you get with shadowform (and power infusion will make your damage output better then shadow form for 20 seconds) with one great big huge benefit: You don't have to drop out of shadow form to heal. IMO, this build or something along these lines is more dangerous then a shadow priest.

The healing priest is the way to go in PvP if you have people you run with.

Shadow is cool if you solo.

Ha-ha, nice Build Aves... it is exactly what Rhema has been using since 1.10 came out. I love it. I own at healing but can still do amazing damage if I want for pvp. When it comes to MC, I set it up with my favorite mage to work out a timing system to constantly cast PowerInfusion on him. That mage is always top of the charts each run :)

Who am I to doubt the Master. I will be respecing to 26D, 25H. Thanks for the advice. Not sure If I will do it right away or when I hit 60. I might go ahead and do it before MC in case I take Paster Friday even though Im still only 58.

my priest wil be going that way and I would suggest you bring Paster to MC! Find me in game and I will run you through what ever you need to get done to level you to 59 if not 60!! :)

What exactly does that spec contain Avesther? Lara has been thinking about respeccing too, we were looking at almost exactly what deamiter posted, im just curious what you are trading off. Did you take mental strength instead of spiritual healing?

You can follow the link in my signature to see my spec (its the Avesther graphic) or you can follow this link.

I took the mental strength over spiritual healing. IMO 10% more mana = 10% more healing and 10% larger heals = 10% more healing, therefor Mental strength = Spiritual healing.

what about taking 2 points out of inspiration and putting them into improved healing, seems the mana savings would be better than a little extra armor on healing crits?

Spiritual healing is points 26-30, so it is dependant on the prior points. Taking points from inspiration (that sit in the 16-20 point slot) means putting them back in the pre-20 point places, so you still are not getting spiritual healing by taking them out of inspiration.

Inspiration for priests is the only way to get a use out of a crit heal. You see, crit heals are completely useless. If the target I'm healing needs 1100 in heals but I crit 1600, the 500 over heal goes into thin air. And crit heals are so iffy that you can't rely on them, for example if your target needs 1600 in heals, you'll likely on heal them for 1100. With inspiration, what you get is 15 seconds of improved damage mitigation, which could amount to the target taking 500 less in damage over the next 15 seconds. So in a very real sense, you get your 500 overheal back.

actually you do, improved healing needs 15 points in holy and if you take them out of inspiration and put them into improved healing you still have 20 in holy for the spiritual guidance and you save an extra 10% mana on your lesser-greater heal. I guess the question would be is that worth it? It doesnt say it uses less mana for flash heals and maybe in MC you use flash heal more because you need it fast? I havent paid as much attention in there because usually im too busy with my own job I gotta do:)

I thought you meant spiritual healing, my bad. Improved healing only reduces mana cost of the lengthier heals (lesser heal, heal and greater heal) which if you use in MC incorrectly, you'll kill the tank.

In the five man instances, you can get away with using the 2.5 second cast heals. I did a 5 man 45 minute baron run once and was accused of not healing because my mana rarely dipped. When I showed that I was so far on top of the healing meter compared to the pally that couldn't keep his mana up, they shut up. And now that my renew ticks for 340, it'll be easier to keep people up on 5 man runs.

I thought divine fury brought it down to 2sec flat vs 1.5 for flash heal, but I see what you mean and thats kinda what I figured with MC.

Back