Pro Gamer Drug Abuse Rampant

That's pretty pathetic. Even more so that no one is doing anything about it.

yup the fact that there is no repercussion when its fairly open fact.... -_- . i wanna see talent, skill, and luck, not drugs

It's sad to see people damage there bodies for a faster response time. Personally I can get pretty competitive when playing games, especially online, but when you get to the point that your doing drugs to play better, that's when you need to step back and take a good look at things.

It's sad to see people damage there bodies for a faster response time. Personally I can get pretty competitive when playing games, especially online, but when you get to the point that your doing drugs to play better, that's when you need to step back and take a good look at things.

So true.

Welcome btw noticed your latest 2 posts. Hope you enjoy it here at CGA ^_^

So true.

Welcome btw noticed your latest 2 posts. Hope you enjoy it here at CGA ^_^
Thank you for the warm welcome mate, hopefully I will like it here because I would really like to be an active member of a forum again.

Thank you for the warm welcome mate, hopefully I will like it here because I would really like to be an active member of a forum again.

Yep a big welcome to ya. It would be great if you could update your signature and profile so we could get to know you a little.

On this topic I listened to an interview with a pro gaming team over here that suggested they took drugs and lots of them but they were not performance enhancing. I thought what the interviewer had to say to them was good however, as he suggested that as pro gaming in relatively new and as it will appeal to many young people it has a very big responsibility to be completely drug free (both performance enhancing and the other kind). I just hope they nip this in the but and do what it takes to get rid of it.

Last edited:
Welcome to CGA!

I think it's pretty funny that people do drugs to improve their video game performance; though, I find it funny that people play video games competitively and for a living. (Kind of defeats the purpose... to do something competitively when it is designed as a hobby or a relaxation kind of thing...)

It certainly isn't steroids this time!

I'm kinda with Odale on the pro gaming thing...it's just...I've never gotten it. I don't get the term "cyberathlete" and definitely don't get "e-sports".

However, I mean, when you start with coffee and cigarettes for that extra hour or two of alertness, then switch to Bawls/Monster/Red Bull/etc for a few more hours, the next logical step is going to be either abusing a prescription drug or just going to methamphetamine or something along those lines. It's really not surprising, and nobody is going to do anything about it, because it's not against the rules. if anyone is at fault, it's these leagues, I think.

I'm kinda with Odale on the pro gaming thing...it's just...I've never gotten it. I don't get the term "cyberathlete" and definitely don't get "e-sports".

However, I mean, when you start with coffee and cigarettes for that extra hour or two of alertness, then switch to Bawls/Monster/Red Bull/etc for a few more hours, the next logical step is going to be either abusing a prescription drug or just going to methamphetamine or something along those lines. It's really not surprising, and nobody is going to do anything about it, because it's not against the rules. if anyone is at fault, it's these leagues, I think.
I have to agree with you there mate, since the leagues offer a lot of money to the tournament champions, people are willing to do anything to get an edge, some are desperate enough to even do drugs. If these leagues had any integrity they would enforce drug tests or some form of successful anti drug program, not only because of the harmful effects that it can have on the body of the individuals who are using the drugs, but also because it is in my opinion that using drugs to get an edge is cheating...

I've (briefly) played first-person shooter games competitively and can personally attest that it can be more fun and exciting than public server play. True, there's more pressure, but there's also tighter teamplay--something conspicuously absent from many "team-based" games. *coughCounter-Strikecough*

I also enjoy a quality 1-on-1 deathmatch in Quake 3 or UT2004 Team Arena Master, but my strength is in team-based games. I'm okay with a rocket launcher (especially one I don't need to reload), but I can rock the Medigun in Team Fortress 2.

yeah, i never made a good cyberathelete since im not the greatest at team work. I tend to find that a random pug of cs players can actually work better than a team who practices. mostly because its more of you doing your part and assuming the other person is either doing their job or is dead. team play is more like, "why isnt bob going to b? whats he doing, crap theres a guy infront of me. *death*" and tek is right, its definitely more exciting, i love the adrenaline rush from it when i used to do CAL. they also use the term cyber-athelete because I read a while back that gamers when they get into the zone, they get just about the same amount of adrenaline in their system as football players who get in the zone.

Cyber-athelete is the biggest oxymoron EVER!

wow, people keep telling me i should go pro because im already at a competitive level and i was really thinking about it, i think I'll keep with being an engineer when i grow up.

at bonk, um...I've played TF2 for 10 hours straight, I've been called a hacker, over the summer i played almost 150 hours a week, I am currently making money playing games, PC gaming is a sport but when you go to those extremes is what makes it stupid (just like anything else in life) so dont just call it oxymoron...those people make it an oxymoron.

i agree tek, I use to do competitive paintball, i was on a skeet team for 2 years, do you call that an oxymoron?

Last edited:
wow, people keep telling me i should go pro because im already at a competitive level and i was really thinking about it, i think I'll keep with being an engineer when i grow up.

at bonk, um...I've played TF2 for 10 hours straight, I've been called a hacker, over the summer i played almost 150 hours a week, I am currently making money playing games, PC gaming is a sport but when you go to those extremes is what makes it stupid (just like anything else in life) so dont just call it oxymoron...those people make it an oxymoron.

If you got a job, go to school or have a personal life, from my experience, don't play games that long!

Relating to the thread, to speak kindly, it happens.

With what I used to play the past 10+ years, I could have gone, Pro Gamer too.

A insane amount of hours per day (w/o working, schooling) can destructively ruin your life!

Last edited:
I will clarify on what I don't think is a sport: Counter-Strike, Halo, SSB:Melee, billiards, bowling, darts, archery, etc.

These are games to me. I don't having good hand-eye coordination and a quick reaction time makes anyone a athlete, and neither does having skill in strategizing. Just because adrenaline is roaring through your system doesn't mean you're taking part in a sport. The night my son was born my eyes were so wide open I thought my head might open up like a jack in the box, so I guess that could be adrenaline, but I'd hardly call the experience athletics. Maybe I'm just cynical. To me, nothing ruins a good fun time with my friends playing on a pub server than some Cal-O people coming in trying to run the server and have pug match. But, maybe adminning for a few years on a heavily trafficked CS server has hardened me to the whole competitive experience.

Do you consider archery a sport? If so, would you consider an archer an athlete?

How about a marksman?

Not real athletes!

And I participate in archery!

(although the only thing I use it for is killing animals!)

EDIT: blackgravity: adrenaline in darts?? what style of dart game have YOU been playing, because I want in on this shindig!!

Last edited:
The sporting element in darts is being able to drink a certain number of pints and lean forward at the ockey (throwing line) without letting your huge belly topple you over..

One hundred and eighty !!!!

Well hey, if you can make some money doing something you love (Gaming) then why not. Who cares if some people laugh at you for calling yourself a cyber-athlete... they are probally sitting in a office for 8-10 hours a day. I'd certainly prefer the gaming. I think games like Counter-strike are sport, due to the nature of the game alone. Considering all the teamwork involved, all the alertness required, and all the skill that it utilizes. Sound like a real sport to me. As far as calling yourself an athlete? Why not?

Back