Problems with Video Settings

Corpfox

I test around with OpenGL, Software Mode and D3D, here are my results:

As of right now, I can't use OpenGL.
rock.gif

I used it 2 weeks ago and now I can't use it?
Gives me an error and crashes the 'Steam' games.

D3D works great, but crashes 2 hours later in-game as soon as both sides(eg; Counter-Terrorist/Terrorist in CS) fire their guns. The weird thing is D3D will only work at 16 bit not 32 bit when I have a 64MB Video card......

Software Mode no problems, but it is a crappy video setting. Brick-like-walls, dented guns(garbage guns), very highlighted text......

I've used Defragment twice, Virus scan once(takes over an hour long!), Deleted Temp Files, Deleted Cookies, Erased junk files, have minium desktop icons, used Adware twice, scanned for updates/drivers in Microsoft(nothing!).

I have Norton Anti-Virus trial version, Adware full version, other programs on HP cpus, I got about 3 games installed; Freelancer, Starcraft and Blue Shift. Got Steam with about 5 games. Currently using 448 MB Ram, 52.5 GB Free Hard Drive space out of 80 GB, Athlon 2800+, 64MB Video Card, 10/100 Ethernet card, SMC wireless 4 port hub and wireless keyboard/optical mouse.

Steam and its games is the only things that gives me the problems cause they are unstable.

Got 10 error logs from steam itself.

Error:Steam error: SteamProcessCall(Login)(0xab0005,0x188fc04,0x188fd0c) failed with error 110: Login failed. This account does not exist, or the password is incorrect.

Got 12 error logs from steam's day of defeat.

Error:Failed to load dialog file Resource/UI/ClassMenu.res

1 full log contains:Function trace:
CL_ParseClientdata()
S_Play player/pl_step4.wav
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
S_Play player/pl_step3.wav
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
S_Play player/pl_step2.wav
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
S_Play player/pl_step1.wav
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
S_Play player/pl_step3.wav
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()

Got 25 error logs from steam's counter-strike.

Error:Failed to load dialog file Resource/UI/ClassMenu.res

1 full log contains:Function trace:
CGameUI::Start
CGameUI::Initialize
CBaseUI::Start
CBaseUI::Initialize
Host_Init
CFileSystem_Steam::Mount()
CFileSystem_Steam::Unmount()
Host_Shutdown
S_Play sound/UI/buttonclickrelease.wav
S_Play sound/UI/buttonrollover.wav
Netchan_Clear reliable_ack 1
Netchan_Clear reliable_seq 0
Host_Reconnect_f() end
Netchan_Clear reliable_ack 1
Netchan_Clear reliable_seq 1
SCR_BeginLoadingPlaque
CGameUI::StartProgressBar
Host_Reconnect_f() begin
S_Play sound/UI/buttonclickrelease.wav
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
S_Play weapons/knife_slash2.wav
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CGameUI::ActivateGameUI
S_Play weapons/knife_hitwall1.wav
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()
CL_ParseClientdata()

So is it my computer's fault, video card, the games, steam fault, what is it!?

Unichrome 64 MB video card, intergrated.

So, if onboard means intergrated, then I have an onboard 64 MB video card.

ah oh...

I uninstalled the video driver, reboot, but there is no re-install option!
wow.gif

so im looking through all the cd's that the pc came with...

Corp, you can download it. Um, just go into the search engine and type "video driver" and then the name of the video 'card'.

If it came with your computer then you can go to the manufacturers website, find out what motherboard you have, and then go to the motherboard's website. You should find the driver there, as well.

Oh, and be careful with those cds. If you have one in your computer while you reboot you may accidently reformat your entire hard disk. Even if you're trying to install a simple software it may reformat it, too.

My System Recovery or Backup 'disks' as many call it, is directly installed in my 2nd hard drive. The neat thing about it, I can use it anytime there is a problem and takes about 30 mins to finish. And incase my 1st hard drive is infected by a virus, my 2nd one isnt, and I can use the 2nd hard drive to recovery my pc, yea!!! But it is a pain to re-install everything all-over-again.

I found a site that has my driver and downloaded everything since my video card will not show what type it is. And thats the problem now, it works, my control panel - system - device manager - display monitor shows my video drive is active. When I look for my driver from control panel - display my driver is non-existence.
rock.gif

Everything on my driver information are all question marks.
Chip Type: <unavailable>
DAC Type: <unavailable>
Memory Size: <unavailable>
...........: <unavailable>

you get my point.

*pounding in my head*
something is very wrong...something is very wrong...something is very wrong...something is very wrong...something is very wrong...something is very wrong...something is very wrong...something is very wrong...
wow.gif

One of out 5 drivers were successfully installed. What freaks me out is my video size is 1024x768, and my video cards name is different, before: UniChrome now: UniChrome IGP scary...freaky...

Thanks for helping in your busy schedule.
laugh.gif

Thanks to: Bowser, [toj.cc]hescominsoon, & Flash.

PS: Whats this: Link found: "text in here" (http://www.cgalliance.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?s=8f7be65a0271d279d331dc0122f11f7b)...Find stopped.

When I put "text in here", a phrase/word glows green on this forum. eg: "sss", Link not found: "s" repeated.
rock.gif

I did it again, what is going on!? Instead of clicking on links, I can type the word and press enter to enter the links...
rock.gif
Is this part of Mozilla FireFox special thing?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]One of out 5 drivers were successfully installed. What freaks me out is my video size is 1024x768, and my video cards name is different, before: UniChrome now: UniChrome IGP scary...freaky...
That might be cuz of the new driver installation, it could be doing that, but don't worry im sure its not big of a problem
smile.gif

Could the monitor be the problem with the video card?

I using a 7+ year old HP Pavilion(doesnt exist now) monitor, still works, can go up to 800x600 on most games.

When I play CS, and put it on 1024x7..., it says it can't do it and goes back to 800x600 in software mode. Then back to 640x4... in software mode.

Right now, the video card worked the same as it did w/o the driver update EXCEPT the brightness on my desktop wont convert it to any steam games, WHICH I NEED BRIGHTNESS! W/o brightness, I always have to buy nightvision goggles,

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Corpfox @ Sep. 06 2004,3:49)]Could the monitor be the problem with the video card?

I using a 7+ year old HP Pavilion(doesnt exist now) monitor, still works, can go up to 800x600 on most games.
More than likely your monitor is outdated especially if it only displays 800x600. Try to locate a monitor driver for your OS. It does make a difference. If I let Win.XP load my monitor driver it doesn't give me a 100+ refresh rate. So I use the original monitor driver.

As far as steam goes. I had a version once that I had copied to a cd so I wouldn't have to download it on dial up again. It kept crashing. I download a newer one and it worked great.

I noticed your video card is onboard. If you update your bios that might help you considerably. Be careful if you've never done it before. BE SURE to keep a copy of your current version to redo your bios if the updated bios fails to operate your motherboard. (a lesson learned). Also the very newest bios didn't work on my old Athlon 1000 computer I had. I stepped down one version and it helped me tremendously with my new agp card. I had about 5 versions to upgrade with. They all worked except the newest version.
Also be careful of power outages.
smile.gif
,CS

First off, I can not do any changes with BIOS or any technicial computer stuff. I am a complete newbie for internal of cpus, but an amateur for external of cpus. Besides, I've been taking College learning how to actually make Joysticks and the boards itself from cpus/printers/scanners/things with pcb boards.

Secondly, this is my 'old' monitors info:
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 6/6/2001
Driver Version: 5.1.2001.0
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows XP Publisher

My current Screen Refesh Rate is 60 Hertz which is the lowest, 2nd is 75 Hertz, 3rd and last is 85 Hertz. Which I have no idea if they are good or bad.

I doubt I can find an driver update when my monitor is 7 and plus years old, which, btw, is an amazing 15" inch monitor for last this long for $500 those days.
wow.gif

But when I get back home(its 12:30 a.m. PT now), I'll look for a driver update on my 'old' monitor.

And as for Steam, sometimes I'd like to choke it to death till IT DIES! or hopefully change it back the way it was 3 YEARS AGO! I've wasted about 4 cds for downloading/coping steam, which now, you HAVE TO update them from steam itself.
mad.gif

- 4 cd's
- least a dozen(12) times d/l steam for the errors they caused!
- least...least...like someone said, "when steam fixes 1 error, 5 more takes its place..."

Bump your refresh rate to 85 it will take away some of the flicker in your screen. Your games will run under the 60 mhz rate when you start up one.
Leave your bios alone i'd say.
Maybe you could borrow someone's monitor and see if that is the culprit., CS

When I was updating my steam accounts I disabled all of the game automatic updates by right clicking on them and chosing properties and then tick the Do not update automatically. It helped when I done all of them if you can get that far. I automatically updated one at a time.
I agree Steam is a pain. CS

This makes me pretty dumb now...

I found all the updates drivers on BIOS, video drivers, keyboards, etc. at HP.com
wow.gif
When my pc is an HP...go to their HP site, DUH!

One thing that gets me mad is bad advice. Even though people 'try' their best to help. So, I'm not mad at you, I'm mad for making myself listen to 'that' advice.

When I put my monitor settings from 60 Hertz to 85 Hertz, it completely crashed my computer...grrr...
So, my monitor stays put till I can get myself a LCD monitor.

My new computer is being System Restore for a while, and when its done, least I'll know where to get the updated drivers.

btw, we have 3 computers, the one i'm using now is the crappy Celeron pc w/ nvidia TNT2 32 mb video card.
cool.gif

Don't listen to me I am good at crashing things just ask fellow ToJ'r
Shagz, I crash the UT server all the time.
biggrin.gif

Well that shouldn't have crashed your system just by changing your refresh rate. It should have given you an option to keep those settings or in 15 seconds it would revert back. Sorry about the crash even though HP explains a lot.,CS

Back