Proposal: PureFun/ToJ Counter-Strike Source Server

SirThom

One of the ideas I was thinking about for this chapter was a Counter-Strike: Source server which would be operated by PureFun (my organization) and ToJ. We could retain our current list of admins and management, just the server would be under both PureFun and ToJ's banner. Plus, the fact that I'm already the Server Operator makes things quite a bit easier.

As for funding: this is to be determined. PureFun will make some sort of contribution to the server, just how much of it is still up in the air at this point. But the purpose of this thread is just to get your opinion. Additionally, this is only a temporary measure until ToJ gets their dedicated server.

Discuss.

i think for TOJ, 1.6 is pretty dead as much as i hate to say that. i still play but only on request for scrimmages and the like. but CSS might bring in some new blood.

Sirthom said:
which would be operated by PureFun (my organization)

Sounds very fishy...

*squints eyes*

The current server isn't as popular as it used to be years ago, how would having a CS: Source server be any different?

Hescominsoon's did make a proposal of using whats current in the funding and use it on Dell's servers, enough for any FPS games.

but CSS might bring in some new blood.

You should realize, CS:S is much different, like you can not shoot through walls like Goose62's wall-shots/kills (No offense, if you are reading this). Like this quote: "Its a whole new ball game."

Last edited:
Since the switch over of the BIG 1.6 American names (col, 3D), I think Source is where CS is heading. I've actually been playing it more. Last night I joined a deathmatch and went 310-120. Corpfox is right tho, it is a bit different. You can still shoot through walls, I'm just not sure which ones (I have to practice). Everyone loves a deathmatch server, if we do go ahead with this, let's think about creating a deathmatch server on a dust2/inferno rotation, or something like that.

Sounds very fishy...

*squints eyes*
It shouldn't sound too fishy, since your current Server Operator is me! :p The only difference in this case is that we'll be playing under the PureFun banner as well, but members from both groups are permitted to play.

The current server isn't as popular as it used to be years ago, how would having a CS: Source server be any different?
That's true, except CS: Source servers are much more popular now than CS 1.6. And it opens up new possibilities like GunGame, Surf maps, Zombie maps, etc., so we could have one night dedicated to GunGame-DM, one night with just DM, etc.

Hescominsoon's did make a proposal of using whats current in the funding and use it on Dell's servers, enough for any FPS games.
True. And this is a temporary measure being put in place to bridge the gap and build our Shooter community before we get all the funds required for a dedicated server. Once we (ToJ) have our server, we'll take it from there.

Everyone loves a deathmatch server, if we do go ahead with this, let's think about creating a deathmatch server on a dust2/inferno rotation, or something like that.
Agreed, I love deathmatch as well -- that's one of the reasons I want to get this off the ground so we can have a CSSDM night or something. ^^

guess I'm not the norm but I don't like deathmatch :( but I'll play whatever everyone wants just to have a group going again.

i actually hate deathmatch, so boring and non-tacrtical

guess I'm not the norm but I don't like deathmatch

i actually hate deathmatch
That's why we'd cycle them in an out. I can make a script that will rotate different game types every so often, so we could have certain days be normal CS: S, one day with Surf maps, one day with GunGame, one day with Zombie, one day with GunGame-DM, etc... or whatever configuration we ultimately decide on. ^^

That's why we'd cycle them in an out. I can make a script that will rotate different game types every so often, so we could have certain days be normal CS: S, one day with Surf maps, one day with GunGame, one day with Zombie, one day with GunGame-DM, etc... or whatever configuration we ultimately decide on. ^^

That would be tricky to have 4+ different game modes onto 1 server.
Normally, it would be 1 game mode per server, but if it is possible and you are willing to make scripts per game mode, your choice.
Though, there should be a practice or some kind of teaching method since not everyone knows how to surf on surf maps or how does GunGame work, etc.
Also, each game mode has rules, that is if you are making separate rules.

Examples:
Surf mod: No Spawn Killing.
Since T's and CT's spawns are 2 feet away from each other. Though, most of the surf maps are blocked by a wall or are very very far away.

As you can see, its very mazy and crazy.

There is how far the T's Spawn is, and look, its planet Earth. :D

Zombie mod: No breaking barricades.
If the zombies have over 1k health, which is tough to kill from like, The Christian Crew server.

Last edited:
That would be tricky to have 4+ different game modes onto 1 server.
Well, not really. It's a bit technical but it's not that hard to have four rotating game types on a server. =)

like I said, even if it's not my favorite, I'd play just for the time spent with friends.

Yeh i c dead server! Somethin needs to b address'd. I am for source and joining forces and maybe changing server to a bigger metroplex where it gets more attention.

The tentative launch date for the PureFun/Tribe of Judah Counter-Strike: Source server is this Monday, April 2, 2007! Updates to come as deemed necessary. =)

i'm in, i'm still not all that much of a source fan, cause it seemed to take away the basic playability of 1.6 but i still play it every now and then

I've tried searching for some, but there just isn't much info out there right now. I'm a big fan of gotfrag.com's "CS:101" articles ... I wish they'd do some "CSS:101" articles :)

As far as rates, I'm pretty sure they are the same in both 1.6 and source ... i use rate 20000, cmdrate 101, and updaterate 101. I've actually downloaded CEVO's source configs, which are supposed to be pretty decent.

I'm not a big source fan either, bad netcode and bad hitboxes still. I'm also not a /huge/ fan of 1.6 either ... although I think it's better than source. I just can't stand the unknown factors of the internet. I could shoot someone in the face all day long and them not die, but as soon as they take a random shot on me through 4 walls, I die ... not fun.

I can't wait for assassin's creed :) - as soon as I have the money to upgrade my computer :(

Back