Q? on Church Video Broadcasting

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Hi all,

I'm the video guy for our church and we do a live stream. I got into it initially because, well, I volunteered, and because I'm already familiar with the mechanics/science of photography. I'm new to applying it to video; like for example I'm not familiar with the software and streaming aspect.

Does anyone else act as the video crew for their church?

The video side? I don't know much.

Sound? The easiest way (at least the easiest I know; I am just a lowly sound man) to do that part will be to get a direct line from the sound board. Direct out from the board, right to your camera, and boom. You have sound to go with.

Yeah, we're streaming high quality sound that way. We port in directly from the sound board via USB to my laptop then I stream it out along with the video.

Last edited:
Video capture card to take the input from the camera. Some camera's have firewire / hdmi output now so you can pipe it directly in. Then livestream / justintv...etc.

We hope to upgrade our equipment and such to handle this in the (hopefully near) future. I am very interested to find out what configurations people are using.

I can show you a pretty good workaround. I think I'm doing fairly well on my setup, the only problem is I have to run like 4 programs simultaneously to get it to work.

I am no expert in streaming, and we are not streaming right now. I am the IT guy at my church, and have done a lot of experimenting over the past 8 years with this stuff.

If you want to ask a bunch of professional IT guys who probably have a lot of experience and a very wide breadth of experience, go to https://citrt.onthecity.org/ to talk to them. Or ask your questions on Twitter with #CITRT hashtag.

Currently, my favoured approach would be a Mac Mini with an external Black Magic video card, and stream that to youtube. I know of a church in Toronto, Canada (near me), that currently does that. They are called Catch The Fire up here, and they stream once or twice a week. They are on an experimental (as of my knowledge a couple weeks ago) youtube live stream program right now. Plus if you are in the States, it might not be experimental for you. You would need to find that out. But I think Youtube would be a great output as it is widely used by soo many people already.

I would say you would also need at least a 2-4 Meg Fiber connection (not ADSL or any other asynchronous connection) to support a stream of anywhere between 700Kps to 1.5Mbps.

Gotta go fix something...

Back