Quake 3 on 24 displays, at 10240x3072

SirThom

AWESOME!
It's amazing how much more fun games are when you can play them on really large, high-resolution screens. Our lab also has a 24 monitor display wall, and as you can see from the pictures below, I got Quake 3 running on it. The system is driven by 12 linux servers (2 monitors per server) using Distributed Multihead X (DMX) and Chromium. Chromium distributes the OpenGL rendering from the head node to all of the servers. The game runs fairly fast, though some lighting effects had to be turned off and Chromium is having some trouble with the mouse. Even so, playing the game is an awesome experience. Feel free to email me (plastk@vt.edu) with what you think.
quake_front.jpg

Quake 3 running at 10240x3072 resolution at 15-30 FPS

cluster_side.jpg
A view of our 12-node Linux cluser resting behind the display.

rearcluster.jpg
Another view of the cluster/display with our ViCON system in the background.
Copied and pasted due to profanity in the comments.

Original post:
http://plastk.net/blog/index.php?title=quake_3&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Very nice. Wouldn't the FPS differ between each monitor? (even possibly by a miniscule amount)

No problem here. took about 5 minutes or was it 10. zzzzzzzz It locked up so I went back then forward and it finished loading. A trick I've learned to use on dial up.
awesome.
I think I'll stick to my 6ft x 10ft screen with one computer. That was a lot of work. Job well done!!
Just strip one of the lcds down and make you a big screen hd movie projector like mine. wooot.

Back