quake 4 leak

I hated Q3. "Here's a bunch of badly designed weapons. Now go kill all the other crappy-looking guys in a badly designed arena!"

honesty, i wouldnt say it was the worst game i ever played but i just found it to be like so many others; kill everything and try to stay alive. no puzzles. no real challenges (other than bad guys). just the same shoot or be shot with different scenary. thats why i liked HL when it came out. i'm looking forward even more to HL2 with the improvements that they've made.

I personly like Q3 cuase people die easier then ut and its more of a classic kill what you see witch is fun

Now i know HL2 will blow everything out of the water when it arrives.

As for q3... if you dont love it you never found the secret charm. As a single player it sucked big eggs. As a multiplayer it was so-so... But if you found that special place it became legendary.

Three words..
OSP
Freezetag
Trickjumping

The thing that made q3 a sport not a game.. Similarly with CS it found a niche that stands the test of time. If i still had it installed i would get you guys on a round of instafreeze on q3dm6-pro and show you the delights of trying to complete JJM in under 4 minutes.

Also, you guys gotta view Q3 from the context in which it was released. Q3 wasn't suppose to be single player, it was suppose to be the definitive Death Match experience, and it was. The speed, the movement tricks, the refined weapons...Q3 was a sleak no-nonense DM game, period. Putting CTF into the game was practically an after thought. (it only shipped with 5 CTF maps) You can't compare HL and Q3, they're not at all alike. HL was a movie and like Rizz said, Q3 was more like a sport and when it came out there wasn't anything quite like that in the market.

It looks like you'll be able to compare HL2 to Q4 just because it seems like Q4's focus (and indeed Id's focus, even if Raven is building it) is on the single-player campaign, not the multiplayer. There hasn't even been any mention of multiplayer yet. My worry is that Q4 is just going to be D3 but with aliens instead of hellspawn. But we'll wait and see, the game is still a long way off.

Back to multiplayer, I can't remember where I read this or who said it, but it was something along the lines of Id going more the single player route rather than try and compete with UT2K4, BF1942, etc. There are lots of multiplayer games out there now and I guess they figured they'd rather not compete because that's not really their area of expertise.

from that perspective, I agree. I think that Q3 was a pure DM and as such was the best out there (though some would argue UT but i disagree). from a puzzle/challenge standpoint, HL wins and everyone seems to agree on that. it also appears that Q4 will not be much of a challenger in the DM niche because they intend to pick up the story line where Q2 left off. i saw on one of the other forums someone saying that it looked exactly like Doom3 and thats because they're using the D3 engine. Actually, they look identical to me and not just because of the engine. the playability looks the same as well.

the appeal of cs was the whole DM but with a different twist. u operate in a team environment and plant bombs. it was popular because it took so many things that had never been offered in a game before (purchases, planting bombs, etc).

on a different note, the RC for HL2 was given to Vivendi. this means that it could go gold in the next week or two.

aye

If you ask me it will be released late october/early november. At least 2 to 3 weeks for approval, then another 2 or 3 weeks for packaging. I don't think the steam version will be available until the boxed is released.

I prefer UT2004 to Quake 3 by far, but when Q4 comes out, I might have renewed interest in it (as long as they refrain from putting pentagrams all over the place that is)

well and this isnt doom either. doom has got more pentagrams than u can stake a shick at.

it looks like there might be problems though for the release of HL2. not long after the announcement of the RC to VU, another announcement came out about a lawsuit between Vivendi and Valve. some copyright infringement or something. this could cause a delay but otherwise i agree with maxX.

http://games.slashdot.org/games....&tid=10

Yea VU apparently doesn't like the idea that Valve is going to distribute HL2 via steam. As usual, trying to make as much profit as possible,even if it means ticking off thousands of gamers.

Weeellll...VU *does* have to make money right? If Valve releases the game via Steam, VU doesn't get a cut. All profits go back to Valve. VU is fronting the cash to produce HL2 as a CD, get the game boxes printed up and have it shipped to stores all over the world. If I were them, I wouldn't be happy about my partner in this venture selling the exact same product on the side and having that cut into my profits on the investment I made, at least without a prior agreement. If there was a prior agreement and terms were negotiated to allow Valve to release the game over Steam, then VU doesn't have anything to stand on, but if terms weren't negotiated, then somebody must have really dropped the ball and didn't see this legal hassle coming.

Yes, it's about profits, but it's also about being fair. Valve doesn't have the infrastructure/expertise/etc. to distribute their game to millions of anxious customers who want to get the game at a store, or just get the thing made into a CD, boxed and shipped to those locations. That's VU's job, and if they're going to invest money in Valve by putting the cash up to get that stuff done, they want to see a return on that investment. Valve's direct access to gamers via Steam undermines VU's distribution rights (again, only if terms were not negotiated before hand to secure those rights).

Somebody correct if I'm wrong on this, I don't really know the econimics of it all that well...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shagz @ Sep. 22 2004,9:50)]Weeellll...VU *does* have to make money right? If Valve releases the game via Steam, VU doesn't get a cut. All profits go back to Valve. VU is fronting the cash to produce HL2 as a CD, get the game boxes printed up and have it shipped to stores all over the world. If I were them, I wouldn't be happy about my partner in this venture selling the exact same product on the side and having that cut into my profits on the investment I made, at least without a prior agreement. If there was a prior agreement and terms were negotiated to allow Valve to release the game over Steam, then VU doesn't have anything to stand on, but if terms weren't negotiated, then somebody must have really dropped the ball and didn't see this legal hassle coming.

Yes, it's about profits, but it's also about being fair. Valve doesn't have the infrastructure/expertise/etc. to distribute their game to millions of anxious customers who want to get the game at a store, or just get the thing made into a CD, boxed and shipped to those locations. That's VU's job, and if they're going to invest money in Valve by putting the cash up to get that stuff done, they want to see a return on that investment. Valve's direct access to gamers via Steam undermines VU's distribution rights (again, only if terms were not negotiated before hand to secure those rights).

Somebody correct if I'm wrong on this, I don't really know the econimics of it all that well...
Considering the fact that VU never funded Valve, has no property rights on Half-Life, and simply contracted them to publish the game via CDs, and that in the contract Valve held the rights for online distribution, I'd say that VU has no right to be claiming what it is.

Back