Question about Lightsabers...

Skibabinz

So I've had this urge to re watch the entire Star Wars series again, but I got to thinking about Qui-Gon's death in episode 1. I remember him being stabbed in the chest by Darth Maul, but if I'm not mistaken it was in the lung or something. Now my question is, wouldn't the lightsaber have merely cauterized the wound, instead of killing him? I would think in the time span it took Obi wan to kill Darth Maul, they would have had sufficient time to get him back to medical for treatment. Maybe I'm missing something, but it has been a few years since I've seen it.

Thoughts?

You've already given the plot of Star Wars more thought than George Lucas ever did.

/thread

Applying logic to fiction creates a lot more problems than this XD .

In my opinion good fiction can do whatever it wants with reality. I don't need or care to know how something works in sci-fi. Only one should not violate common sense or any rules set forth within the story. Like if you say a character cannot do X you better give a reason why he suddenly can later. Unfortunately alot of writers seem to forget rules they set forth in the beginning or give increasing convoluted reasoning the longer a story goes on. Seriously some of my childhood playground imaginings are more sensible than what is written nowadays.

He severed one on of the main arteries or veins in the lung. Bled out and died (or drowned). Problem solved.

(When someone comes looking for help in a Christian forum do you guys always ridicule and belittle them? - Offer them help no matter how dumb their question is.)

(When someone comes looking for help in a Christian forum do you guys always ridicule and belittle them? - Offer them help no matter how dumb their question is.)

Did I come off that way? I am sorry if it seemed that way because I didn't mean too nor did I think the question was dumb just that one can come up with a lot of things that don't make sense in fiction. I mean like Tek said the original poster is already putting more thought into it than Lucas did so wouldn't that make him smarter than Lucas already?

Like the OP I once kept asking questions and eventually realized older, simpler, character driven, media is often better than modern attempts to make things make sense when they can't /reminds me of comic books.

Last edited:
We really need to make sarcastic statements a different color. I was hoping calling the original question dumb would make my intent more easily known.

I'm sorry it came across the wrong way.

I was attempting to have as much fun with the thought that went into the original question as the through you and Tek put into your answers. It came across poorly.

My answer to the light saber question was pure genius on the other hand!

Last edited:
Neither of you came off harsh or anything no worries lol. Seriously though, I do agree with you Gerbil, I just like to tear apart and examine everything in cinema. Probably one reason my girlfriend despises going to the movies with me lol. Then it could partially be due to when we watched Jennifer's Body, and I sat there during and after the film declaring everything horrendous about the movie, namely; Story, characters feeling shallow, Megan Fox being overrated, "Just another vampire flick" even though vampires weren't in the film, knew what was coming from the start, dull, sad attempt at gore. Just to name a few.

We really need to make sarcastic statements a different color. I was hoping calling the original question dumb would make my intent more easily known.

I'm sorry it came across the wrong way.

I usually use the magical :p emote on anything sarcastic/silly or say <kidding> sometimes but whatever :) . I thought possibly you could have been sarcastic but I figured it's was better to err on the side of safety lest feelings be hurt.

Neither of you came off harsh or anything no worries lol. Seriously though, I do agree with you Gerbil, I just like to tear apart and examine everything in cinema. Probably one reason my girlfriend despises going to the movies with me lol. Then it could partially be due to when we watched Jennifer's Body, and I sat there during and after the film declaring everything horrendous about the movie, namely; Story, characters feeling shallow, Megan Fox being overrated, "Just another vampire flick" even though vampires weren't in the film, knew what was coming from the start, dull, sad attempt at gore. Just to name a few.

I do the same thing. Well I would if I was forced to watch modern stuff. I generally only watch new stuff for cgi, animation or superheroes and not any of it in a theater (netflix/hulu need nothing else). Nothing much out there compelling plot/acting wise or moral nowadays.

Even better is to watch an old movie you know is bad and do the MST3K thing on the fly :p .

Last edited:
/Sarcasm on

In 6 movies, this is your best question......

/Sarcasm off

The lung is not punctured or there would be blood in his mouth in the final scene. So, I am for something dealing with the heart and blood flow? Maybe a liver?

Watched the scene on youtube, and from the look of it, Qui-Gon took it squarely in the upper center of the abdomen. Such a strike would probably miss the lungs and puncture the stomach or intestines instead, but the real problem is that it looks like the saber would have nailed his spine. This would of course instantly paralyze the the lower body, but also it would have damaged or severed both the aorta and the vena cava, the two largest blood vessels in the body. It seems doubtful that mere cauterization would be enough to stem the loss of blood, considering the volume and pressure thereof.

There are then multiple ways Qui-Gon could have died, form shock or exsanguination in the short term, infection or sepsis as a result of a damaged digestive tract in the slightly longer term. At any rate, even given the capabilities of medicine in the Star Wars universe, he would have required immediate treatment to have any chance of survival, and probably would have been a paraplegic if he had lived. A lack of pooling blood can be attributed to the need to maintain a PG rating.

Probably more medical analysis than Lucas or any of the writers gave the scene, but either way, I would say it manages to be internally consistent here, if not in other elements of the story.

Back