Requests for quick Steam game reviews

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
When you're considering buying a game at the full $60 or $50 price tag, you'll probably read reviews, watch gameplay videos, and ask for the opinions of several friends.

When a game is $1.74 on Steam, you just want to make sure it works on your OS, it doesn't come packaged with invasive DRM, and it isn't awful.

So instead of having multiple, "Is game X fun, it's on sale on Steam now" threads, let's keep it all contained in this thread.

Let the requests for mini-reviews begin!

Requesting mini-reviews for The Polynomial: Space of the Music and The Witcher: Enhanced Director's Edition Cut.

Requesting mini-reviews for The Polynomial: Space of the Music and The Witcher: Enhanced Director's Edition Cut.
I decided to skip The Witcher after reading the ESRB descriptors for the game, but I'm still interested in hearing what people have to say about The Polynomial.

Titan Quest collection, aaand Deathspank.

I'll second Deathspank. That game is hilarious. I mean even just listening to Deathspank say "Excuuuuuuuuse me..." cracks me up.

"Have I ever told you about the time I singlehandedly defeated an army of mermaids?"

Gameplay is fun too.

...and how could you go wrong with a second installment entitled, "Thongs of Virtue?" haha

I decided to skip The Witcher after reading the ESRB descriptors for the game, but I'm still interested in hearing what people have to say about The Polynomial.

Thats good because The Witcher is not a game I would play even though I owned it. I read the description and said to myself "It really can't be all that bad". Then I saw the cutscenes...

Looking for a mini-review of Just Cause 2. I'd also like to know how the PC version compares to the PS3 version. I don't want to spend money on another lazy console-to-PC port.

Looking for a mini-review of Just Cause 2. I'd also like to know how the PC version compares to the PS3 version. I don't want to spend money on another lazy console-to-PC port.

I played the 360 version, absolutely loved it...for about 4 to 5 hours...then it got old really fast...but it had to be one of the most fun games I have EVER played...it just got rediculusly repetitive very quickly... As a matter of fact, it would make my top 10 on favorite games, even though I only played it for 5 hours... The crazy cool, open world, constant free falling, crazy good fights, massive destruction, and freedom is awesome! lol

I played the 360 version, absolutely loved it...for about 4 to 5 hours...then it got old really fast
Would you say it's a game better suited to consoles (played on a 46" HDTV while sitting on a couch with wireless controller in hand) as opposed to a notebook computer (sitting at my desk with mouse and keyboard in hand)?

If it would be more fun on consoles, I think I'll pass on today's Steam sale and wait for the PS3 version of Just Cause 2 to drop to $10 or so on the PS3 (after I clear more of my single-player backlog, of course).

I love Just Cause 2, probably my favorite open world action game. I can't really say how the PC experience compares to console, but it the PC version appears to have been better reviewed. I've found the game to run very nicely on the PC, just turn off some of the fancy sounding but hardly noticeable graphic effects and it'll still look awesome. It even loads really quickly.

As far as control goes you'll probably be glad for the mouse level precision when using the grapple, but it really doesn't affect combat since the game uses ample aim assist in one of the few cases where I haven't found it to be annoying.

If you do buy it there're a few things worth keeping in mind. First the game will start to absolutely swarm you with enemies before long, and unless you liked being gunned in no time flat you should definitely use the easiest difficulty setting, otherwise the action will start to get frustrating instead of fun. Second, this is kind of game where you will enjoy it far more if you come up with your own ways of making it fun. Taking the long route or doing things the overly complicated way are often far more enjoyable than the direct approach. You might, for instance, trystarting a crazy car chase and grabbing rides on the fly rather than simply doing a fast travel to your destination.

I strongly recommend the game, especially at the sale price. It's great fun, and I've found it to be highly enjoyable both for long sessions and for hopping on to spend twenty minutes causing trouble.

IMHO, I would say the the console play would be better...I am not big on playing any 3rd person game with a mouse and keyboard...other than MMORPGs, but I think I am almost forever done with those for now... (LOL)

Has anyone played Clones? It's on sale for $2.50 until tomorrow (Dec. 23) at noon Central. It looks like it might be fun...

EDIT: Okay, I saw there was a demo, so I downloaded it and played the first stage. I like it so far! I'm not sure if I'll get it or not, but I plan to play a bit more of the demo in the morning and decide before the daily deal ends.

Last edited:
Okay, I bought Clones. I was on the fence until I visited the Clones web site and forums. When I saw that at least one member of the development studio is actively posting in the Steam forum for this game, I decided to pick it up.

Oh, and for our Canadian community members, you may be interested to know that the game was developed by an independent studio in Canada. :)

Okay, here are my requests for mini-reviews for today:
  • Battlefield 2 Complete Collection. Yes, really. BF2 doesn't have any DRM and it supports TRUE dedicated servers, not the "exclusive server providers" rot of Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Call of Duty Black Ops.
  • King Arthur Complete Pack. Downloading the demo for the main game now. I wasn't interested until I read that the game features multiplayer AND it's listed as a RPG. That may be their way of attracting the attention of people (like me) who would normally pass on buying another RTS. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
  • Overlord Complete Pack. Downloading the demo for Overlord II now. And hey, it's 3 bucks for everything in the package! My question here is: Should I skip the earlier Overlord games and just pick up Overlord II for $1.50?
I'm passing on Torchlight for $5 (again) because it doesn't include a multiplayer mode and I'm waiting for Torchlight II. Those whose wallets are crying for mercy may want to consider doing the same.

But does BF2 actually have any players left? There's also that BF 4 Free thing they came out with anyways...

Okay, so I downloaded the demo for King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame and played the first tutorial level. This is most definitely a real-time strategy game. I'm not even sure where the "role-playing" part comes in, but maybe they introduce that later.

Considering the learning curve often associated with RTS games, the fact that I dropped $60 (well, $40 plus a $20 Amazon credit) for StarCraft II, and the fact that there are only 24 hours in a day, I decided a while back to not play any RTS games aside from SC2 (and possibly Dawn of War since I received it as a gift and I rather like it).

Also, of all the world mythologies, Arthurian legend is probably my least favorite.

(Mythology-related rant removed for purposes of keeping thread on topic.)

Getting ready to load up the Overlord II demo now.

Getting ready to load up the Overlord II demo now.
I was sold the moment the game let me beat up hippie elves.

It occurred to me that the game is better suited to a console than the PC, but the cheapest I could find the PS3 version is $15.

The controls (for the PC version, at least) are a little awkward, but it's $3 for the pack and I get to beat up hippie elves. 'nuff said.

Reading the description for the X series of games reminded me of playing Starflight for the Genesis and Star Control 3 on the PC. Good times, good times. The $13.60 price tag for the pack scared me away, but I may pick up one of the titles up on the cheap if I can figure out which, if any, of the series is commonly regarded as "the best."

Back