Return of the Rogue

I may have read this wrong, but in the new patch notes, it looks like Imp Sap is going to be a standard thing. If not, I am going to keep it. This is my post-patch talent change. :D

that is correct. instead of going back to stealth, you'll get bonus range to sap and...uh, something else :)

In Assassination, I would find one point to put into Relentless Strikes. It's pretty nice for 5+ man PvE and not that bad for soloing either.

In Combat, I always like to go for one weapon specialty and stick with it. But I hate wielding two different types of weapons, so that's just me. Also, are you looking at PvP or PvE? I would drop Nerves of Steal if I were PvE. I've really enjoyed having Riposte. I know, I know, it's of limited use, but it's still fun. Especially disarming warriors in the arena :)

For Subtlety, if you're not going for imp sap (which you wont be post-patch unless you do arenas) then move those points over into Assassination. Much more useful for PvE.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the info John. I used to always keep Riposte in my talents, but took it out last respec.

I was looking hard at Relentless Strikes as well, but just couldn't find the points for it.

As for putting points in both fist weapons and daggers, I have grown to really love Shiv to get combo points quickly, but I also like having a slow, big damage weapon in my main hand. The fist weapon has the highest range of damage (the mace is similar, but the mace talent is stun while the fist talent is +crit) and the dagger I want is 1.4 speed. Just my reasoning for points in 2 weapon talents.

I'll play around with it a bit more and see if I can find points for Riposte and Relentless Strikes.

I think the energy cost of Shiv is 34 given a 1.4 speed offhand (10*1.4 + 20). The energy cost for SS (with Imp SS talents) 40. Their energy cost isn't that different. I never thought about using Shiv over SS to build combo points. Shiv would do far less damage, but I guess it doesn't reset your main-hand swing timer. That's kind of nice. As a sword rogue, SS is actually my bread and butter damage, often times better than Evis. What's your take? Have you found using Shiv as your combo point builder to offer better damage? I thought most combo-happy rogues went Hemo.

Granted SS is much better if you are fighting standard mobs that can be downed quickly due to relatively quick high-level damage, but for boss fights or other longer fights, I put deadly poison on my off-hand and shiv to 5 points and then hit Rupture. This way, I am causing poison, physical DoT, and standard damage at the same time. If I have stacked 5 poisons on my target, I will use SS to keep the combo points up (and even throw a SnD in occasionally).

I have found that I am waiting too long for my energy levels to build up after a couple of SS (imo - I must be ADD) while with Shiv, I can get up to 5 very quickly (I also have Combat Potency that gives me 15 energy for off-hand hits). This changes as you get slower weapons in your off-hand and probably makes SS a better choice.

Back