Reunion

Zeromus

I know I was going to write another story, but I've been inspired to write a good story about Golgaros. If you see any errors, please note that it is nearly 2:30 AM and I should really get some sleep..

Reunion

By "Dante Stillwell"

Night cast its shadow upon the Haven in the lands of Oceanus as rain began to seep down ever so slowly from the clouds; escalating into a heavy torrent from the heavens.  The Lone Sorcerer, Golgaros Vespa, wore his hood up once again and sat quietly under a conveniently placed tent.  He held his head tightly as the evil influence of his cursed staff began to slowly fade from his body.  Feeling bored as usual, he picked up a few small pebbles and began to juggle them using his mental influences.  There were still many challenges awaiting for him out in the vast lands of Atlantis, but he had grown tired of fighting harpies for what seemed like years.  The Land of Atum seemed to call him deep within the cockles of his mind, but he was not powerful enough to face the exotic and somewhat vile creatures which resided there.  Perhaps he practice his skill in creating magical gems, but that too seemed far too mundane for his liking.  Taking a flaggon of green tea, he sat quietly and sipped his favorite beverage.  His eyes looked up and were fixed upon adventurers who were much more powerful than he; he then laid his eyes to the ground in jealously.

He had lost so much and had gained so little in return.  When would his time come?  When would he finally be able to taste the awesome power which his Master swore flew through his veins?  The only time he could ever feel true power was when the wretched staff came to life in his hands, but his guildmates had warned him time and time again not to use such devices.  He then saw people together--laughing and telling stories, dueling, and showing their friends what great prizes they had.  He yearned for this friendship inside, but his mind had been fixed on being nothing more than a mere slave.

But who showed him more devotion?  The "mother" who had raised him in the church and taught him how to love and show kindness, or the dastardly Necromancer who had enslaved him so many years ago?  It didn't matter anymore; either way he would still live with the pain and regret.

The rainstorm began to vanish, but Golgaros kept his hood on; he did not wish to be seen or spoken too.  "Only in solitude can I truly attain perfection of my art," he thought to himself, "But this lonliness is too much to bear.  I cannot go on like this, but I must.  I must not harm those around me."

A man clad in golden platemail and a royal blue cloak then came into the area.  On his back was a mighty hammer which looked very familiar.  The Sorcerer just scoffed as if he had seen a vision and went back to playing with the pebbles.  The man walked closer and closer to Golgaros.

"Excuse me, my good man.  You look very lonely there all by yourself." said the man.
"Solitude is good for one who practices the arcane, Knight."
"I sense an aura of sadness around you.  Might I know your name?"
"Very well then.  I am known as Golgaros Vespa."
The knight paused for a moment and Golgaros felt a strange feeling of warmth as if the two had known each other forever.  His eyes then lifted as the man removed his helmet revealing the face of a man who had seen many hardships as well, but had dealt with them.  The tiny pebbles then dropped one by one as if they were raindrops upon a broken past.

Golgaros instantly put his hood down and stood in shock as the knight smiled brightly.
"I have missed you, Brother." said the Knight.
"M..Maudin?" stuttered Golgaros whos' heart at been stricken.
"Yes, Brother. It is I."
Golgaros fell back upon the earth and closed his eyes deeply.  It had been 10 long years since he had last seen Maudin who had become a powerful Paladin.
"I've missed you so much, Golgaros.  The priests all thought you had died, but I knew you were still alive.  I knew the Lord would.."
"Silence!  I won't hear of this!"
"But Brother.."
"No!  How dare you come to me with such happiness when you know very well how much of a failure I have been to you and to our superiors."
"No, Golgaros!  You did everything you could!"
"Did I, Maudin?  Did I really?  Was her death my fault, or was it "His" Will?"
"Don't say things like that, Golgaros.  You remember what we learned."
Golgaros began to feel his heart calling out to him; a call to push back the anger and sorrow--a call to push back the hate and jealousy.
"That.. He always has a time and place for everything."
"I know you know that to be true, Golgaros.  Please believe."
"I can't, Maudin.  I can't believe things I have no control over."
Maudin shook his head sadly with sympathy for his elder brother.
"You're still arrogant, Brother.  You need to get rid of this horrible jealousy and learn to live."
"You're one to talk, Maudin.  Your whole life has been sheltered from the way the world is.  You have no idea what kind of evil exists in this world.  Bah.. why am I wasting my time?  You're far too young to understand."
"I too have seen great evil, Golgaros.  I have fought it in the many crypts and lands of our realm."
Golgaros shruged slightly.
"Don't you remember all the wonderful times we had together, Golgaros?  We would always have picnics outside the monastery.  We would go fishing near Salisbury.  Don't you remember the time when you healed me after that snake attacked me?"

Golgaros sat silently as memories came soaring back into his mind.  Had he truly given up his only family all because of his lack of faith?
"We grew up together, Golgaros.  Just the two of us.  That is something I have always treasured in my heart.  I always knew that I had an older brother looking out for me whenever things took a turn for the worse."

A shock echoed throughout Golgaros' heart.  He had left Maudin to fend for himself.  He had let his foolishness take the better at him, and not only did he suffer, but so did his only family.  For the first time in 10 long years, warm water trickled down his cheeks.

"Maudin.. you are the one who always looked up to me.  I have failed you, my brother." stuttered Golgaros, his eyes feeling the burning sadness.
"There is always time to change, Golgaros.  She said so."
Maudin then knelt beside his quivering brother, a bright smile enveloping his face.  Keeping his helmet in his arm, he laid his hand upon Golgaros' shoulder.  Golgaros embraced Maudin and laid his head on his platemail.  His tears would not stop--as if they had been held for the many years.

"Then I shall change, Maudin; I shall change.  This is something I promise you with all the heart I have left." said Golgaros as his lips formed into a smile.  He then took his hand upon Maudin's head and tossled his hair.  "My brother!" Golgaros laughed.  Maudin finally felt at peace with his brother.  The two then stood up together.

"I'm so glad to have finally seen you again, Golgaros.  It's been rough without my brother and I wanted to see you before I left."
"Where are you going, Maudin?" Golgaros began to feel a sinking feeling in his heart.
"I've finally been able to learn more of our parents, Golgaros.  I believe the answer lies far beyond the lands of Albion, and even far beyond Atlantis itself.  I have come to say good-bye to you for now."  Maudin then equipped his helmet.
"Do you actually think you can find them?"
"With the Lord's help anything can be done, Brother.  Always remember that."
Golgaros smiled again, but he was not reassured by Maudin's preaching.
"I wish you the best of luck then, Maudin."

Maudin removed the large hammer from his back and handed (although a little bit awkwardly) to Golgaros.  "Take this," he said. "It's really heavy, I know, but that's because it's filled with mercy."
Golgaros took the hammer and bowed to his brother as Maudin returned the honor.
"Will we see each other again, Maudin?"
"It is all in the Lord's Hands now.  Take care, Golgaros.  I pray that you will find the peace you have been searching for."

Golgaros returned to his spot and snatched his green tea.  The sun began to shine as dawn approached.

"This day will be different," said Golgaros to himself.  "This day will be different."

THE END

Back