Rogue Tips And Tricks! (The Arts Of Leveling A Rogue)

Kyle-Kristeen

So I have a lowbie rogue, and I have no idea on what spec to use to level this toon, nor do I have any knowledge of the rogue class.... Some help from all you experienced OP rogues out there would be much appreciated =]

I got mine to 15 with daggers and leather. Try to do damage to stuff, but be careful not to take too much yourself.

This has been "Pro Tips with Flame". Thank you.

I would help you, as I fit into the category of experienced rogues, but I am most certainly not OP...

(I'll post later, don't have time now as dad is mad and I'm supposed to log out.)

I think there are two basic ways to dispatch mobs as you level, the pound their face way and the keep them out of combat way. They greatly depend on your available gear which method will work best.

The pound their face way basically assumes sinister strike/mutilate spam with instant poisons to get combo points to perform finishing moves as quickly as possible for max damage. It assumes you have the DPS and health from gear to dispatch the target before they do a lot of damage to you. Make sure you have lots of food/bandages/potions on hand to reduce the inevitable down time this play style enforces.

The keep them out of combat uses cheap shot, gouge and kidney shot to keep your target incapacitated. It takes longer to kill a target this way since you expanding energy and combo points on abilities that do not do direct damage but you also take a lot less damage. The keep them out of combat is the "safer" method.

I think once you get high enough level to have Cheap Shot and Kidney shot, that's the way to go. Then again, it feels like you level faster if you don't have downtime, at least to me.

For leveling go combat spec with swords, I used to open up with either cheapshot or garrote, depending on how fast I thought I could kill the mob, sinister strike, SnD with 2ish combo points, then sinister strike up to 4-5 CPs and eviscerate to finish the mob. Combat spec early on definately gives you the least downtime, and you don't depend on stealth as much as assassination or sublety.

When you can pick up Mutilate, that's a viable spec as well, or if you really don't like combat, Sublety will work but use daggers and open with ambush for half the mobs health, and then backstab/eviscerate it to death using gouge and kidneyshot to get in your backstabs.

What he said

For leveling go combat spec with swords, I used to open up with either cheapshot or garrote, depending on how fast I thought I could kill the mob, sinister strike, SnD with 2ish combo points, then sinister strike up to 4-5 CPs and eviscerate to finish the mob. Combat spec early on definately gives you the least downtime, and you don't depend on stealth as much as assassination or sublety.

When you can pick up Mutilate, that's a viable spec as well, or if you really don't like combat, Sublety will work but use daggers and open with ambush for half the mobs health, and then backstab/eviscerate it to death using gouge and kidneyshot to get in your backstabs.

This build is similar to what I did, but it has 6% more parry and Riposte, which will help kill mobs faster and reduce downtime, but loses faster stealth speed.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#fhxZMghd0cxqruMgRte

Another Combat spec that will work well for leveling but you lose improved stealth and a little energy regen (will probably only effect PvP for the most part, but your Killingspree will most likely kill anything you come across anyways once you get it, or at least close to it.). The thing about this build is, if you are in a long fight, your bleed (Rupture) will do more damage, and your Sinister Srike (your most used skill by FAR) critical hits will deal 18% more damage.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#fheb0hZMghd0cxqruMgRt

Once you can get mutilate, if you want to switch specs and use daggers, I'd just go for the normal 41/5/25 spec for leveling, starting with the Assassination tree, then taking your 5 points in Combat, and then the last 25 into Subtlety. It's one of the most common PvP builds but it worked well enough for me. You can switch around anything in Focussed Attacks to whatever you want, like to Deadened Nerves or Improved Kidneyshot. That will probably be best until you get some PvP gear, since you won't be critting enough to make it worthwhile and the 9% more damage dealth after Kidneyshot or 6% less damage from Deadened Nerves will be more helpful.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#fhxcoeMoiroGzZ0xZebfbh0db

Last edited:
Back