Rogues?

Reason

I have created a Rogue recently (not in the guild yet) and I don't know to much about the class, especially since their talent review. I was hoping that someone could post up some things about Rogues that a newbie to the class may find interesting. Stuff that might help is what kind of weapon to put in the off hand, how to spec your first few points to make questing a bit easier, is leatherworking and skinning any advantage in the class? Stuff like that would help. Anything else at all that you would like to throw in would be helpful as well. I decided on a human rogue btw. :)

Thanks guys,

Chris

Slow weapon in main hand, fast weapon in off hand. Weapons with "chance on hit" in main hand and weapons with stats in the off hand. A dagger will let you ambush and backstab. Both Good Things. Personally, I found daggers to be best for soloing. As a rogue you have lots of stuns that will let you stun a target, get behind them, then backstab. If you are using a sword or mace you can't do that.

All talent trees are really viable now. If I were leveling again I would probably scatter my points out in the top of all three trees, then respec at level 40 and go for nice stuff lower down in the tree.

My play style when leveing: Come in stealthed. Sap if there is 2 mobs. Sap and blind if there are 3. Ambush, SS, SS, stun, BS. You can also just Ambush, SS, SS, SS, Evis on most mobs close to your level. Stunning and backstabbing is overkill and time consuming in lots of situations.

As a rogue, my rule of thumb was that if a battle lasted longer than 15 seconds, I was doing something wrong.

First, my resume: 54ish combat/sword-spec on a pvp server (Mal'Ganis) and an almost-36 dagger/imp sap on Terenas.

Second, what do you plan on doing w/ your rogue? just pve/pvp or some of both? If both, which will you focus on? These things affect your talent selections. There are a few core talents that are must-haves, IMO, regardless of what build you use:

Assassination: Imp Evis, Malice, Ruthlessness, Lethality
Combat: Imp SS

I really enjoy rogues. They are my "sit back, relax, and leave me alone" class. Therefore, I never worried about how long it took me to kill a mob. Plus hit, attack pwr, and agil are the stats to look for. Slower weap w/ highest max dmg in m/h, fastest weap o/h (this holds true regardless of weap type used).

My combat/sword rogue was going 18/33/0 (I haven't played him since the patch). I went w/ swords because I didn't think I could mash buttons fast enough to play a dagger build well. With swords, you're relying on solid white damage to burn down you target at a steady pace. Additional talents for this build include: Deflection, Precision, Riposte, Duel Wield Spec, Blade Flury, Sword Spec, Imp SnD. I'm leaving out the new talents because I'm not very familiar with them. Typical attack sequence was CS > SnD > SS > SS > SS (if needed) > Evis.

When I came to Terenas, I started a dagger rogue, just to see if I could mash the buttons fast enough to become really good at this play style. I found that it wasn't bad at all in pve, but I'm not very good at pvp (I should say I'm bad at pvp, period, regardless of class played). I struggled w/ talents for this one, because daggers can go deep into any of the 3 trees (unlike sword/mace, which can really only go combat). I decided to try Imp Sap, although I'm still working on getting it. I've read it becomes useless in 20+ raids. Since dagger rogues can go deep into any of the three trees, it is hard to narrow down must-have talents. Generally speaking, Assassination tree for bigger burst dmg, Combat for steady consistent dmg, and Subtelty for pvp (at least to Preparation). Additional talents to consider: Leathality, Cold Blood, Seal Fate, Imp Gouge, Imp BS, Opportunity, Imp Ambush. My typical sequence is CS > BS > Gouge > BS > Evis. Usually, the 5-point Evis is overkill, but I humor myself trying to set new Evis records this way.

If you decide to go dagger (which I'd recommend), do not let your sword skill lag too far behind. Arguably, many people find dual-wielding swords better for raiding; you may be one.

Poisons, poisons, poisons. If you do not always have poisons on your weapons, delete your toon and roll a pally. Use Crippling Poison on m/h for mobs that run, Instant poison on m/h for mobs that don't. Use Instant poison on o/h. Sub Deadly Poison (or whichever one DOTs and stacks 5 times) for Instant poison on longer/elite fights. Use sharpening stones for mobs immune to poison.

When soloing, always pickpocket; it's quick, free cash. If grouped, ask if its OK to PP, they may not care (at least in-guild). You can PP as long as you are not in combat (the mob can be). When grouped w/ Shuranda's hunter, I stealth up, her bear begins tanking, I PP, then a speedy death: Amb/CS > BS > Evis;

Keep you Lockpicking skill @ max. It can earn you tips opening lockboxes, and some chests in instances are locked.

Thistle Tea is a must for pvp; it can be useful (sometimes) for pve. It only requires cooking skill of 60ish and gives instant max energy. Take herbalism to pick it yourself (comes from mageroyal, briarthorn, and something else).

Alchemy is highly recommended/must-have for pvp. I do fine pve w/o it, but I'm only lvl 35 at the moment.

I have leatherworking and have made a lot of my armor. I don't normally buy things off the AH, so my craftable items are generally better than what drops off of mobs or obtained as quest rewards. Take herbalism and mining/skinning, sell mats on AH and buy armor/weap upgrades on AH. Keep some swiftthistle onhand for you tea and sell the rest for big bucks.

When a boss/elite fight is going to take a while, do not overlook Rupture (DOT). The damage done is "pure," bypassing armor reduction, whereas Evis damage is reduced by armor.

My fingers are starting to hurt, so I'm done for now.

Well, I guess I should jump in here. I have 2 rogues, Smertrios and Taranis. Smertrios is built for end game instances. Blade flurry and adrenalin rush is what I went for along with imp backstab. You rarely use ambush in end game instances. As for Taranis, he is being built for PvP. He will have riposte and preparation for now. I might tweak him more but that is what I am going for.

I don't know much about rogues and end-game but I did spend many months and superior heath pots to Commander, rank 11 with mine. I went with a prep/cold blood, more commonly knowns as combat daggers but this was before the rogue review. Now I have respec'ed Rueage for end-game still for daggers but with AR and blade furry. Not much help but I figured I'd toss my two cents in.

Back