Save Christian Radio!

ManaByte

I mentioned this in guild chat today, but here's the main info:
http://www.savechristianradio.com/

The FCC is considering rule changes that could force Christian radio stations to either modify their messages or be forced from the air.

Although not directed specifically at those using the airwaves to disseminate the Good News of the Gospel, potential rule changes could put Christian Broadcasters in an untenable position. If enacted, the proposals could force Christian radio programmers to either compromise their messages by including input from those who don’t share the same values, or to run the risk of costly, long and potentially ruinous government inquiries.

Download the full MB Docket No. 04-233 at the FCC web site (PDF) or (Word) | Additional information is available at NAB (National Association of Broadcasters)

Specifically, the FCC is considering a proposal that would force every radio station to take programming advice from community advisory boards broadly representative of an area’s population. That means that Christian broadcast stations could be forced to take programming advice from people whose values are at odds with the Gospel! A well organized group of atheists, abortionists or secular humanists could demand representation – and have standing to cause trouble at the FCC if they were turned away.

Any Christian Broadcaster who stands up to the pressure and refuses to compromise on matters of conscience, could find his or her station’s license renewal tied up for many years as the FCC considers complaints and allegations over nothing more than the station’s chosen broadcast message!

Among the proposed new regulations are requirements that stations report, every three months, how much programming of various types has been broadcast, who produced it, and how it reflects the interests of a cross-section of local residents – even those who do not share Gospel values.

If enacted, such requirements will give Christian Radio’s opponents powerful new tools to harass and possibly silence Gospel inspired voices. Armed with these reports, adversaries can file complaints with the FCC against Christian Broadcasters who refuse to compromise on Gospel principles; any Christian Station that insists on only pure Gospel programming could be made to pay a high price for its refusal to yield airtime to those with other messages.

One proposed variation would even force stations to grant a certain amount of airtime to any group that requests it – much like cable television systems make time available on “public access channels.” But unlike public access channels, which were created as a kind of open public forum, Christian Radio is a combination of pulpit and mission. The government cannot force messages from any pulpit, nor insist that missionaries promulgate viewpoints contrary to the Gospel. The same way, it should not be forcing Christian Radio stations to deliver the messages promulgated by secular humanists, abortionists or atheists.

The FCC is also considering ways it could increase its coercive powers to force speech on unwilling broadcasters. Even a station that avoided sanctions during a typical eight-year license term could find its license renewal challenged. While this has long been true, in recent years, the delays caused by these challenges were usually more of a nuisance than a disaster, as skilled civil service professionals worked through issues. These government experts had authority to apply reason, and ultimately granted almost every renewal presented.

But the FCC is considering a renewal processing procedure that would take renewal-granting power out of the hands of qualified civil servants when a Christian station, in good conscience, has kept its message pure and not allowed its facilities to be used to promulgate other messages. Instead of routine processing by civil servants, such a station’s renewal application will be subject to the often multi-year process of review by the politically-appointed FCC commissioners.

Not only will such a designation make a license renewal more time-consuming, but also more costly to obtain; Christian Broadcasters facing such a process will likely need greater assistance from lawyers and other consultants – added expenses that could prove ruinous.

Finally, the FCC is also proposing to drive up the costs of providing Christian Broadcasting services by eliminating labour-saving technological enhancements that make it possible to operate radio stations, at least part of the time, without an employee on the premises.

Although such un-staffed operations have been the norm for years, the FCC is considering a rule to require staffing whenever a radio station is on the air – even if all the programming at that time is delivered by satellite. God’s love may be free to all, but getting the word out will become even more expensive – perhaps too expensive for some radio stations.

The FCC is also considering a proposal that would force many Christian stations to relocate their main studio facilities. Now, it is possible to serve several missions from one location. But under this proposal, many co-location arrangements would be forced to end – raising daily operating costs and imposing immediate expenses related to moving, construction of other facilities and overseeing forced relocations.

When coupled with the rapidly rising costs of broadcasting, including multiplying electricity expenses, extended staffing requirements and forced relocations will leave some Christian Broadcasters with little choice: either cut back or give up.

im praying it doesnt. i have WAY fm (my fave radio station) on in my car all the time. being a new driver it calms me and helps me feel protected when i drive.

Actually, this law was in encactment once if I remember my recent listening on CSN radio commentaries: In the 1960's and it was repealed being unconstitional. Someone is trying to re-enact an old law which created a lot of problems. (I might be wrong on this- thought that this was the one)

I remember VISION television (advertised as a Christian tv station) having to put shows in their line up from other religions and how all the American channels had to show a certain percentage of Canadian broadcasting (which hilariously was a picture of somewhere in Canada that they splashed the screen with while they played a song in some cases) but the influx of satelites has affected that me thinks.

But that is tv and you guys are talking radio. I thought video killed the radio star?

I think this is a hoax. I went to the FCC's site and looked up docket 04-233 (referenced in the original post)... and it was a decision about an application for a site license - to not allow a low-power station on the same frequency too close to a full-power station less than 80km away. (link1)

Further, other cases by the same docket number have nothing to do with religious stations at all. (link2 link3 link4)

In fact, the only references I could find to religious programming on the FCC's site (other than site inspections, violations, and fines records was this (Link5)

FCC said:
# The FCC will not prohibit religious organizations' ownership of broadcast stations. A petition (RM-2493, erroneously attributed to Madalyn Murray O'Hare ) which had requested that the FCC make changes was denied in 1975 (54 FCC 2d 941). Excerpts from that proceeding are located here.

Just to add to the discussion, a local Christian radio station (RadioU) has recently (within the last month or so) received approval from the FCC to add additional Full-Power repeater/satellite stations. I highly doubt that the FCC would simultaneously approve a site license and work to repeal them.

Last edited:
This kind of scare comes up every couple years and, going back 20 years, there's never actually been any reality to it that I've seen.

So, I confess, after so many of these my reaction is generally, "Meh."

well they cant do it anyways can they? it would be censorship and thats braking freedom of speech and freedom of the press so its totally wrong and not gonna happen

"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. "

im lucky the christian radio station i listen to make sure what they say is not against that little thing.
???

The hoax is that people are against a station for being a Christian station. If they weren't against it, then they would be like any other station.

hooray for XM! Better quality, no commercials, and for better or worse, no censoring! They have a couple Christian stations.

XM used to have 3 or 4 Christian stations, but they started combining them a few years ago and they slaughtered the genre separation. I listened to it a lot with a friend from work until they changed...then we both agreed that it sucked :/

There are actually 2 really good local Christian stations, so we're spoiled anyway.

Back