Scathing FF XIV review

4.2. Ouch.

In the interest of fairness: Reviews of MMOs are largely subjective and enjoyment of MMORPGs, perhaps even moreso than other games, depend heavily on who you play with.

I also take the view that players won't know the true "shape" of a given MMO until 6 months after launch. That doesn't give developers an excuse to ship an unfinished product to paying customers; it's just an observation based on prior experience with MMOs. (Then again, my MMO experience is outdated and dates back to a less populated MMO market.)

I also take the view that players won't know the true "shape" of a given MMO until 6 months after launch.

I agree with you there, but I have heard this one is actually terrible. Everything you do is accessed through menus, combat is super slow, no mounts, no mail system (which is a REAL hassle), can only add your friend when you are with them in game, not being able to search for items being sold by players (these are things not even not even Daoc did). Really?

Really bad.

Last edited:
I agree with you there, but I have heard this one is actually terrible. Everything you do is accessed through menus, combat is super slow, no mounts, no mail system (which is a REAL hassle), can only add your friend when you are with them in game, not being able to search for items being sold by players (these are things not even not even Daoc did). Really?

Really bad.

I've heard your pro at Starcraft 2 also, but I need to read up on the facts first. Your APM doesn't go over 145. >_>

As for the review... that's a bit too low. Sure the UI is a mess, but seriously? xD

The game isn't 4.2 bad...it isn't actually all that bad...but it does need work... And I loved the UI and menus...made it feel more like FF and less like WoW...heh...but to each's own I guess... :p

Moderator's note: Removed link. Do not link to that site again.

I wouldn't give it a 4.2, but would say it ain't a very good game. There has been outcries on other sites over 'made in china' quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I loved the UI and menus...made it feel more like FF and less like WoW...heh...but to each's own I guess... :p
This brings a very good point to mind that I have never thought about in game design. Some things may not be the most optimal way of doing things, but if it is part of your distinction, part of why fans like you, then don't get rid of it. This is very true, otherwise all games would look the same.

Back