September 5th, 2005

.se3ker.

Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ.

-Ephesians 5:21 (NRSV)

MY boss asked an employee why she had established a particular mailing procedure; but he rejected her explanation, called it illogical, and articulated his own superior logic for the procedure. Later on he screamed at an employee for sending out a project without first consulting a supervisor. Weeks earlier this same manager had expressed to me his desire to "bless" his co-workers. "Hypocrite," I muttered to myself, resenting him.

Then I read Paul's command to slaves to "regard their masters as worthy of all honor" (1 Tim. 6:1). God expected slaves to honor their masters, who owned them and controlled the details of their lives. My boss directed only my work; and unlike a slave, I could always quit. Did God want me to "honor" my arrogant supervisor? The next verse commands slaves to respect "believing masters" even more.

God doesn't ask us to honor others based on the way they treat us. God ultimately guides our lives and calls us to deal graciously with all people. Whether or not my boss treats me fairly, I ultimately work for God, who gave everything for me.

David Barshinger (Texas, U.S.A.)
Prayer:
Sovereign Lord, may our actions in our daily work with others reflect your work in us. Amen.

Back