Server Failure

tjguitarz

My mom works for a touring agency sort of company that does a lot of online work. Their server went down today, and the host sent this email about what happened. What does this mean? I've never seen so much technical jargon in my life, which makes me think these guys are running a half-baked operation.

"At 12:41 a utility fault caused phase B of the main power feed of DC3 to disconnect which caused our ATS to transfer power to our generator until which time we were on our generator ?til 1:15. Our ATS read a fault and and went into EPO with respect to the initial issue which caused phase B to fail. Local service technicians are working on solving the problem as fast as possible"

no actually that a fully detailed technical explanation of the power grid section that feeds the server..:)

Yep, double failure, the main PDU on bus B failed, which kicked over to backup power via the generator then the system detected a failure too, which caused an EPO.

An EPO (Emergency power off) is a circuit that has a big red button on the wall that says, "Shuts off all power to entire Data center". Its also electornic, so if it cant read any values of the generator (software glitch or an unplugged serial cable from the generator computer), it plays safe and shuts off, killing power to the entire PDU or the entrie data center.

yeah, i work in a data center, I know the technical jargan.

Back