Shadows

Angus_Og

The only way to fly. Opps, not thinking clearly. To much caffene today. Either way there is a discussion, minor one, on the priest forums (WoW) about shadow priests new talent, Vamperic Touch. Some say good, alot say bad. They believe that shadow priests should have stuck with Shadow Mend (healing).

For those that don't know, follow or care about shadow priests you can leave now. I will not be offended, well yes I will be but I won't know who leaves or not so.....

Shadow Mend originally was the 41 point talent in the shadow tree. It would heal for 900pts and cost 425 mana with a 1.5s cast time. Thats it. Now they, being Blizzard, has swapped it out for Vamperic Touch. It is a DoT that at rank 3 will cause 685 - 690 dmg over 15s at a cost of 325 mana and a 1.5s cast time. Now what makes this special is that while this DoT is on 5% of all dmg dealt by said shadow priest will result in an equla amount of mana back to his/her party members.

Now you might say, "5% isn't much" and you would normally be right. But if my math is right you are looking at 5 mana users in a group getting 166mana/15s at a cost of 1459mana. Now if you add talent points and a CoS to the mix you are looking at 258mana/15s at a cost of 1026mana.

You might think wow that is a lot of mana a shadow priest must put out for just restoring so little to 5 people. Well if that was all that I was doing it would be. Add in to the mix that I have just caused dmg from 3325-3330 and healed a possible 997-999 HP/party member. Or with talents 5154-5162 dmg and healed 1546-1548 HP/party member.

Figure that during a boss fight I can cast VE (insta- cast, 1m (DoT), SW:p (insta-cast, 24s DoT), VT (1.5s cast, 15s DoT) and Mind Flay x3 (insta-cast, 3s DoT) all within ~24s. All I would need is an inervate every now and then to continue on.

Now, I do admit that Shadow Mend might be useful to some. But looking at what it did for a shadow priest, the ability to cast a flash heal costing slightly more MP/HP, for 41 talent points to me it was a waste and I was not going up that tree that far. I was taking more Discipline then what I am now with VT.

Well, now that the caffene has finally warn off. I think I have new numbers to post.

It is looking like for one round of casting (VE, SW:p, VT, MF x3) I would cause 4512.75 dmg, heal 1353.83 HP and restore 225.64 MP.

The way I figured this out was that the duration of VE is 60s, SW:p is 24s, VT is 15s and MF is 3s. Since I can chain MF to 15s with no cast time I figured I would go in 15s blocks.

Damage per sec is: SW:p (59), VT (57) and MF (184). For a total of 300 dmg/s.
Healing per sec is: SW:p (17.75), VT (17.13) and MF (55.38). For a total of 90 HP/s.
Mana per sec is: SW:p (2.96), VT (2.85) and MF (9.23). For a total of 15 MP/s.

Of course all this is with out SD gear or CoS. So these numbers will go up some. Only talnets are added in.

15 mana/sec is awesome. that means that casters in the party are given a 75mp5 boost! that's incredible!

15 mana/sec is awesome. that means that casters in the party are given a 75mp5 boost! that's incredible!

...and a level 70 talent, as I understand it. And designed not to disrupt game balance, meaning it will be needed/highly useful. All of which means the mobs in the new raids are gonna be T...U...F...F

I'm not sold on this. Mana is needed at the tail end of a battle, not the front end. Shadow priests are notorius for being OOM priests and have little long term DPS potential (>2 or 3 minutes). So when the mana is needed most, the shadow priest will already be tapped dry. And even if they are not, that mana would be much more effeciently spent healing a lifetapping warlock. The DPS/mana expended there would be many orders of magnitude greater than if the mana was spent just DPSing a target. (Of course, only warlocks can convert health to mana so YMMV for other priests, mages, etc)

Still, it is interesting. I just don't know how useful it will be in an end-game setting where you only have 10-25 slots available anyway.

Shadow priests are notoriously their own worst enemies when it comes to mana. If you look at this talent alone, its very disappointing. Yet if you buff yourself with Mana Regen via other means, this +15mp5 is awesome.

Add items you can easily get yourself for mana regen:

1. Sagefish delight (6mp5)
2. Mageblood potion (12mp5)
3. Brilliant Mana oil (12mp5)
= +30mp5. Add that to the 15 above and you have +45mp5. Add spirit regen and pally BoW (+36 improved), Shaman Mana tide (we are talking expansion right) and even a shadow priest should be happy with their mana regen.

I suspect by level 70, Mana regen will be astronomical. Probably could do all of MC or BWL without having to drink :) Not necessarily true of the new BC instances. And addin the improved spirit buff from disc priests (10% of spirit = additional +damage) and your +15mp5 will go up a slight bit. Of course this doesn't include the insane plus damage a shadow priest can achieve.

I know I know, I tend to look at how all the builds and classes work together to achieve synergy.

Last edited:
and with the figures that Angus presented, shadow priests will actually be giving their party members 75 Mp5... if you put a warlock, mage, holy/disc priest, etc in the party, you're talking some massive regen for the duration of the shadow's mana pool.

Yes, you may need the mana more at the end, but if you're regenning all the way thru, the end may effectively move the "end of the fight" further away from the start of the fight...meaning, less people will be OOM come the time the boss dies.

75 mana per 5 is SEXAH

I do agree, however, with Deedles... the shadow priest is definitely NOT going to be a portable innervation station...

But still, remember that this figure scales with gear...

Can you imagine Cornugn with this???

*drool*

I'm just thinking of the major benefit, even with Buto's gear... of giving 4 additional people 75mp5. Innervate only hits one.

I'm excited, to say the least, and look forward to using this in a raid to test it out. C'mon Blizz... bring on BC!

Back