Should I get an Xbox

amusedtoe

Ok so I'm quite afraid that my PS2 cd drive is starting to go. It's not been loading stuff very well, and when it's streaming content in game it gets fairly choppy when it didn't use to regardless of game so it's not the disc. Not to mention the moderatly loud sound that comes from it that's somewhere between a click and a thud. So now I'm contemplating getting myself one of those giant plutonium powered bricks, err XBoxes.
biggrin.gif

I acctually would have gotten one originally but I never thought I would have broadband and that was one of the reasons it was attractive, even though I'd been pretty interested since it was launched. Now though I have a nice DSL connection so that's just a huge bonus. So I'm thinking about trading it all in and getting one, what's everyone think?

If I were to get one though it'd be too far away from the router to hook it up via cable, so what wireless adapter has everyone had the best experience with and how much does it run?

Also what games are must haves? Obviously I'd be getting Halo 2, and probably ESPN NFL 2K5 but what else? Live and a wireless adapter, not to mention that $150 thing unless the used price is better then the $130 I'm seeing at places online
tounge.gif
, will severly limit how many games I can get since it'll all be on trade ins.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (amusedtoe @ Dec. 26 2004,3:39)]Ok so I'm quite afraid that my PS2 cd drive is starting to go.  It's not been loading stuff very well, and when it's streaming content in game it gets fairly choppy when it didn't use to regardless of game so it's not the disc.  Not to mention the moderatly loud sound that comes from it that's somewhere between a click and a thud.  So now I'm contemplating getting myself one of those giant plutonium powered bricks, err XBoxes.
biggrin.gif

I acctually would have gotten one originally but I never thought I would have broadband and that was one of the reasons it was attractive, even though I'd been pretty interested since it was launched.  Now though I have a nice DSL connection so that's just a huge bonus.  So I'm thinking about trading it all in and getting one, what's everyone think?

If I were to get one though it'd be too far away from the router to hook it up via cable, so what wireless adapter has everyone had the best experience with and how much does it run?
I'm an Xbox fan. My pc runs games just fine, but I prefer my xbox for most things. I know there are some people on these forums who play on the box and I play with a very regulargroup of folks from other places as well. It's definitely a nice unit to have, IMO.

For the wireless setup, the linksys adapter for the xbox works well and is about $45, much less than the MS unit. For the router, check the Xbox live site for the best routers for use with Live, otherwise one of the Linksys routers would be a good choice as well.

As far as what games to get, I don't know. I'm not sure what your tastes are. I love to play GR 2 and NFSU 2. Those are both fantastic games. I also like Tournament paintball for a light-hearted break from everything.

Whichever way you go, enjoy. Maybe I'll see you on Live soon.

Project Gotham Racing (1 or 2) is a good choice. I like it even though I don't particularly like most racing games.

And MechAssault is a lot of fun. It reminds me of MechWarrior 2 for DOS, that I played waaaay too much as a child. Plus I think PGR2 and MA are both Xbox Live enabled. Not sure if anyone actually plays those online though, as I stick to Halo 2.

heh burnout on xbox live is the rox... i go round to my mates house to play it... i would have a xbox of my own but i have a ghetto connexion

hmm

on the routers, I have a Linksys router, wireless + wired switch. Its model is BEFW11S4 it's a great router, runs fine on games, and the wireless network is powerful. Its wireless B, so its weaker then the wireless G network, so i suggest going for a wireless G. It's all your decision. I recommend linksys.

I checked Microsoft's site and the wireless router I already have is on the compatible list, Netgear WGR614 I think it is, it's just the matter of connected it up to it. Do I understand correctly though that I can hook it into a computer that's connected to the internet and share the connection as a way to access live? If so then I'll just hook it up to my laptop for now since it lives about 3 to 4 feet away from where it would be.

If you have a router right behind your cable modem (or whatever type of broadband you have) then you don't need to share the connection from your computer. You're pc and xbox can both access the net simultaneaously without windows mucking the whole thing up with ICS.

"Router" will allow sharing 1 internet connections by assigning local IP so yes, you will be able to access Live, while computers connected to the router will also have internet access. Be sure not to get Hubs. Hubs will not let u share it unless you order more IPs by paying your ISP more.

Well I already have multiple computers hooked up to the internet through it, so I just wanted to make sure that it would work if I hooked it into my laptop.

Also I remember hearing a while ago that when you bought an XBox Live enabled game you would get a month of it for free or something like that. Is there any kind of similar thing now since if I can put off buying the starter kit for a month that'd be great, though I'm still hoping to be able to find one of those holiday bundles.

Woo found Halo 2 for $30 US used, which is less then I could go and resell it for. They also have SC: Padora Tommarow for $15.
biggrin.gif
Think I should be able to get Burnout 3 for 5 trade ins from EB so that'll be nice.

Back