should I not listen to Ave Maria (hail mary)?

silverleaf

probably not but just thought I'd seek a second opinion, it's in the Madoka second soundtrack though it's a catholic song (that anime supposedly has darker Christian references ugh that apple scene as a bit much to handle).

It's just the instrumental, but it IS hail Mary, and I don't know that song so was wondering if anyone did who can advice me if i should remove it from my playlist. Right now it's in my relaxing music dump. Like if it's honoring Mary I'm cool with that, but if the lyrics go let's worship Mary then yes I do have a problem with that.

Last edited:
"Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee;
    blessed art thou amongst women,
    and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
    pray for us sinners now
    and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Seems fine to me. I don't necessarily think asking a dead person to pray for you is better than asking one who is still alive, but it's hardly worship. Your safe to listen to it in my opinion.

The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you." Luke 1:28 (NIV)

Then she exclaimed with a loud cry: “You are the most blessed of women, and your child will be blessed! Luke 1:42 (HCSB)

Gabriel says it's okay. Elizabeth says it's okay. Ewok says it's okay. It's okay.

There is a difference between what the Bible says and what Catholics do.

The second portion of that is where the problem comes in as it is implemented by Catholics.

They have elevated Mary to a Holy position who now makes intercession for sinners... Now and at the hour of their death.

The words of Ave Maria are not the problem (nor the music). It is the intent and interpretation behind them the author was trying to convey.

If it doesn't bother you and you are causing no other brother to stumble... Listen on.

ave elevated Mary to a Holy position who now makes intercession for sinners... Now and at the hour of their death.

This. I would add that it is difficult for us in western evangelicalism to separate "worship" and "veneration" in the Catholic culture. Often times I see a statue of Mary in a prominent position and I think, "Man, than are worshiping Mary" when in fact most Catholics don't actual worship Mary, but see her as a great example and blessed by God vs. a deity worthy of worship.

This. I would add that it is difficult for us in western evangelicalism to separate "worship" and "veneration" in the Catholic culture. Often times I see a statue of Mary in a prominent position and I think, "Man, than are worshiping Mary" when in fact most Catholics don't actual worship Mary, but see her as a great example and blessed by God vs. a deity worthy of worship.
Can I just say that I appreciate you pointing this out? Because I very much appreciate you pointing it out.

I'm a pretty heavily reformed guy, myself, but in my Bible and Christian college experiences, I've been around a lot of unjustified "Catholic-phobia" that is rooted in a lack of knowledge and understanding of actual Catholic belief and practice. Sometimes we get carried away based on hearsay and misunderstanding, and it's nice to see other say "let's make sure we understand this right before making it into something it isn't."

OP: I agree with ewoks and company. I think you're just fine listening to it.

Last edited:

As a Catholic myself I can say that this is exactly right...

I don't think there's a problem with calling Mary "holy" From the Google dictionary:

ho·ly

adjective /ˈhōlē/ 
holier, comparative; holiest, superlative

1) Dedicated or consecrated to God or a religious purpose; sacred
- the Holy Bible
- the holy month of Ramadan

2) (of a person) Devoted to the service of God
- saints and holy men

3) Morally and spiritually excellent
- I do not lead a holy life

4) Used as an intensifier
- having a holy good time

5) Used in exclamations of surprise or dismay
- holy smoke!

Was Mary set apart for service to God, as in the second definition? Absolutely.

I can't say that I completely understand the Catholic use of Hail Marys as a penance (why would reciting a phrase asking Mary to pray for me 10 times make any difference than once?). Asking a dead person to pray for you seems unusual, but I suppose no different than asking for prayer from a live person - I believe the dead are already in their eternal destinations... why would they not be able to pray on my behalf? Anyway, I don't think that there should be any issue with it.

Last edited:
Before I start, I want it to be clear that it's not my intintion to offend any dominations represented here. Now, Catholics tend to over do (or what ever the word is) Mary. I want to quickly point out that they don't nessisarily worship Mary, but they and we must all realize that she was sinful. It was God's and only God's choice to be born from Mary. We should not dwell on the earthly mother, who if by God's will should be sent to hell, of Jesus. Instead, we should spend our time learning about and glorifying in God The Almighty!!

And to the song you listen to...

If the song causes you to want to listen to other songs, wether Catholic or not, even if the lyrics might not be quite as good as this song, then you should abstain from it.

Besides, somethings might be sins to some and not sins to others. Also, If you believe God is pricking your heart that it is sin, then stay away from it!!! And of course I know that it is a lot easier said then done

Thanks for taking the time to read my dry comments. Please, if I am wrong in any area, point it out!

Before I start, I want it to be clear that it's not my intintion to offend any dominations represented here. Now, Catholics tend to over do (or what ever the word is) Mary. I want to quickly point out that they don't nessisarily worship Mary, but they and we must all realize that she was sinful. It was God's and only God's choice to be born from Mary. We should not dwell on the earthly mother, who if by God's will should be sent to hell, of Jesus. Instead, we should spend our time learning about and glorifying in God The Almighty!!

And to the song you listen to...

If the song causes you to want to listen to other songs, wether Catholic or not, even if the lyrics might not be quite as good as this song, then you should abstain from it.

Besides, somethings might be sins to some and not sins to others. Also, If you believe God is pricking your heart that it is sin, then stay away from it!!! And of course I know that it is a lot easier said then done

Thanks for taking the time to read my dry comments. Please, if I am wrong in any area, point it out!

This is not just offensive to me, but undoubtedly to God. Would you or I be happy if someone would say, “If God wills it your mother can go to hell.”? To say that about Jesus’ mother is unbelievable! You can agree this is God’s mother, and if it is, would He not want her to be perfect like Him? Doesn’t God want that for all of us...”Be perfect as Your Heavenly Father is perfect!”

Back