Should or Shouldn't I?

galatian

Btw hi :)
ok i can't decide if i should buy a euphonium from a guy at the college that i know.... its worth in its condition probably 4000-4500 but hes selling it to me for 3200.... Heres a link to pictures of it. Even though most probably aren't (well if any) are music people but the true question is should i spend the money.... I have a fund with $42,000 in (left) and thats for education and it would be coming out of that.
I really am enjoying music and im pretty sure i want to major in something invovled with music. I just don't know if it would be my smartest move to buy it. I mean im planning on going to community college for 2 years for prereqs and such then transferring... GRR its so hard but yeah i figured maybe someone had some great knowledge to provide.

That could also come out to 266 months of WoW. Decisions, decisions.

If you do decide to buy it, do some research and make sure you are paying the right amount. I'm more knowledgeable about guitar pricing, but I'd be hard pressed to pay that much for an instrument in that condition. But like I said, I don't know that much about them.

o no that condition is amazing actually. I've done the research for the pricing and there are ones in worse condition for a lot more most of them being about $4,000. Euphoniums are EXTREMELY expensive sadly lol

Last edited:
Well if you're still looking into the area, I would get something thats good but more in the 1k or less range. I had Ibanez guitars and they did exactly what I wanted and needed. If you're going to get into playing shows and recording, then you could spring for something more expensive. But from where you sound like you are right now, I would go for good quality and a better price range over AWESOME quality and a crap-ton of cash out the window.

well the cheapest i can go is about $1,500-3000 for a new one.... See the problem with just buying a cheap one to use is i have 1 to use that is just the schools and it is just terrible. also unless i buy a good one it will become a $2,000 paper weight that i can't sell to anyone that is why im considering the one i am.
cheapest 1 i can find is this linky because it is a must to have 4 valves (i can explain if anyone cares lol) and that is a no name brand and is just a student horn that is terribad
o and this is the one i would LOVE! It is probably best sounding one available linky

Last edited:
Well if you are looking at schools for music, I went to Art Institute of Atlanta for one semester to major in audio production. The worst idea I ever had. Stay away from any Art Institute school and try to find something better for the ammount of money you pay. Too much money to pay for the lack of education.

To point in a direction, I will suggest McNally Smith in Minneapolis. I would have went there but I can not read music and that is a central focus for their school to get accepted.

lol disregard my "ibanez" comment but listen to the rest. anyway good luck to u...music is passion!

I majored in music for 2 years. Be sure that's what you want to do. I had aspirations of learning to rock hard... I learned how to sing arias instead. I learned a ton on the classical level, but if you want to learn a different style you might have to look elsewhere depending on what your school provides. If you want to know what a music major entails in more detail... pm me. or you can call me.

yeah i understand that part and colleges is not what im worried about. We have plenty of awesome music schools like uoi and cwu.
i think i've decided that i'm going to buy it

what goodwone said :p

There's always time to wait and save money for it specifically. If you actually need it now to progress musically like you want then that'd be more reason to think about buying it...but if you're just htinking it's a good deal now, there will be other good deals in the future...if you don't need it no need to spend money you might need later :)

honestly i do need it. The school instrument im using is broken and is unknown how long it will be to fix if its possible to fix.
If i want to play in college i do need a horn and that is why im considering buying it. I don't want to waste money on a cheap horn that i can't get my money worth from and this one i can sell again if i ever stop playing.

Back