Skyrim?

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Does anyone have it?

For those of you who don't, do you want a review of it before you buy it?

I think it's really great so far, but there are a few issues. :):D

I LOVE it!!!! No need for a review go out and buy it now. Game of the century.

Took a long time to get used to the WASD - TAB - E menus. I was so used to mouse over menus. Once I got that down (and turned off the controller for the extra FPS) everything has been glorious.

Controller is actually a great way to go, the built in support is fantastic and the lockpick mini game is great with rumble support. I just prefer mouse so I can alt-tab while at work.

Last edited:
Does anyone have it?

For those of you who don't, do you want a review of it before you buy it?

I think it's really great so far, but there are a few issues. :):D

I was thinking of throwing some coin that way, but Keero has told me multimus* times that its an Oblivion game. So I didn't buy it.

Multimus; just sounded right for that sentence, even though its not a word spellchecker or I know of.

It is a lot more like Fallout then Oblivion fwiw.
Most of the player reviews say it is leagues better then Oblivion.

This is all for the PC version.

The menu is atrocious until you learn the entirely foreign setup. (obvious console port is obvious) Once you muscle memory the new setup its pretty fast. You DO NOT use the mouse, you use WASD tab and E to manage the UI/Menus.

Mapping hotkeys 1-8 is hidden but once you do that you are good to go.

Game breaking bugs with dolby surroud sound. (i don't use it personally but i hear its bad)

Some complaints of CtDs but there are lots of fixes posted for those.

All in all the game scales great on older PCs and looks beautiful on modern PCs if you do a lot of .ini tweaking.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity...what kind of issues?

A few mostly minor things, not enough to take away from the game.

One, the most notable thing is that it plays like a console. That's not to say you can't play it on a PC, obviously, but nearly all of the controls and even the interface itself are clearly built for a gamepad.

Two, there are lots of crashes, mostly audio related, so it's a simple fix.

Three, just a personal peeve, but I don't like the interface. I wish you could swap out gear while on the run, without having to "pause".

Four, although the audio and soundtrack is very good, it does get a little repetitive. Like, if you're in danger of being attacked, the audio that queues is basically the same one every time. Buuut, I want to mention that the ambient sounds, weapons, music, and, well pretty much everything is really, really top notch. I refuse to play with headphones; I've gotta have it on the 5.1 system, and I like to turn it up reasonably loud.

I'll post a much more detailed review and I'll cover these topics - if you have more please let me know and I'll mention them:

Technical (graphics and CPU)
Gameplay (Travel, Combat, and Miscellaneous)
Controls
Sound; Music, Ambiance, Environment
Story
Environment, Weather Effects, and Nighttime/Daytime
Quests and NPCs and "Dynamic" events
Maps and Dungeons
Mini-games, Puzzles, and Tradeskills
Economy
Weapons and Armor upgrades

This game has already devoured the majority of my four day weekend and still I feel like I've only scratched the surface of its content. I'm loving it, brings back a lot of nice memories of Morrowind that Oblivion mostly failed to reproduce.

The interface could be better, and I've encountered a smattering of bugs, the worst of which is being unable to exit a conversation without reloading or the rare CTD, but my impression has been overwhelmingly positive.

First, I loved Oblivion.

Second, the fact that Skyrim is a console port is disgraceful. Its like pooping on a Mercedes, no - a Maserati.

Third, I'm getting it but only after I get SW:TOR (this past beta weekend infused me with some undeniable need to have it).

I have been playing it every available moment since I got it. This game is utterly glorious, and hands down the best RPG of the decade. Although as someone who sank about 500 hours into Morrowind, and about 300+ into Oblivion, I may be a bit biased.

This is probably the most fully realized fantasy game world ever. The attention to detail is jaw dropping at times. The dynamic story system means there's something always unique going on. The people, the places, it seems everyone has their own little story and yours gets wrapped up in it to often surprisingly unique results(There is this one questline that is essentially an Elder Scrolls version of The Hangover that is absolutely hilarious). The sheer scope and breadth of the game cannot be fully realized in words. Oblivion felt small. Skyrim, while supposedly about the same size, feels utterly massive. And to someone whose big thing is exploration (that was 90% of what I did in EVE Online) this is a huge deal.

I love the magic combat system. Finally they nail magic combat. Unfortunately regular melee combat still feels like it did back in Oblivion and even Morrowind, except for the takedowns -those are a cool new addition (despite being on the receiving end of a couple...)

Crafting. From the way Alchemy works to Blacksmithing, this is how crafting should be done in an RPG. But I especially like the Alchemy -you essentially learn what ingredients do by either eating them or (and more safely) mixing a few together to see what happens.

If you claim to be an RPG fan at all, you must buy this game. The reason most other game companies don't attempt to do open world rpgs is because Bethesda is the hands down master of the art.

Also I have random screenshots that may or may not mean anything to people

Love Morrowind, didn't care much for Oblivion enough to finish it.

So far, I am enjoying Skyrim very much.

I got if for my xbox 360 and it runs great. I havent run into any problems yet, and as you can see in my sig i have many hours put into it already!

I love everything about the game.

I could see how PC would get difficult with the tab/wasd. =/ i got it for 360 cuz i didnt want another computer game. even though it looks better on computer because you can run it on ultra gloriousness! =D

I'll post a much more detailed review and I'll cover these topics - if you have more please let me know and I'll mention them:

Technical (graphics and CPU)
Gameplay (Travel, Combat, and Miscellaneous)
Controls
Sound; Music, Ambiance, Environment
Story
Environment, Weather Effects, and Nighttime/Daytime
Quests and NPCs and "Dynamic" events
Maps and Dungeons
Mini-games, Puzzles, and Tradeskills
Economy
Weapons and Armor upgrades

Could you add questing vs fighting? Such as how much buildup is there for the progression of a quest to go fight? Is it like Mass Effect 2 where it takes time to setup (talking to the right people, etc). I realize that not all quests will be about fighting though.

I love it got it for my birthday on Sunday (it was an early present) and haven't stopped playing since!

....PLUS....​

WEREWOLVES!

Could you add questing vs fighting? Such as how much buildup is there for the progression of a quest to go fight? Is it like Mass Effect 2 where it takes time to setup (talking to the right people, etc). I realize that not all quests will be about fighting though.

If it is a fight you want, all you have to do is walk outside a city or town for a little bit.

But in answer to your question, it all depends on the people or faction giving the quests. Some require stealth, while others require magic/puzzle solving, and others (like the civil war quests I've done so far) are a 'go kill everybody at this location', and there's even some quest givers that ask you to go assassinate certain people.

Mass Effect 2 is linear, whereas Skyrim is pretty much the definition of an open world game.

Question for the ones who have it. I put 80 hours or so into Oblivion and loved it, but burned out quickly on Fallout. I know Skyrim is obviously in the Elder Scrolls Universe but how much have they moved it to be more like fallout?

Back