So, what, exactly, is Hell?

Dark Virtue said:
Uh, that's a logical fallacy.

How can I trust that God has it all worked out when I don't have enough evidence to believe in him in the first place?

I asked you if you did have enough evidence if you would still question God on Hell-- you said you would.

Ack, sorry, so you did. I shouldn't post when I'm in a hurry :)

I don't think you can analyze that hypothetical situation though. Your question was, "whether you trust that God has it all worked out". I'm answering from the standpoint of a skeptic. If I had proof of God, that would change EVERYTHING. In light of that proof, would I believe in God as you believe in God? If so, would I have enough trust to believe that he has it all worked it? I think there are just too many other questions that are raised.

In your hypothetical, I'd rather hope that God wouldn't say HIYA and then keep on walking. I'd have a load of questions to ask him...which actually sounds like a good topic to start :)

Dark Virtue said:
Ack, sorry, so you did. I shouldn't post when I'm in a hurry :)

I don't think you can analyze that hypothetical situation though. Your question was, "whether you trust that God has it all worked out". I'm answering from the standpoint of a skeptic. If I had proof of God, that would change EVERYTHING. In light of that proof, would I believe in God as you believe in God? If so, would I have enough trust to believe that he has it all worked it? I think there are just too many other questions that are raised.

In your hypothetical, I'd rather hope that God wouldn't say HIYA and then keep on walking. I'd have a load of questions to ask him...which actually sounds like a good topic to start :)

Fair enough-- but I think we've done that topic a few times already under the title "If you had one question to ask God..." or something like that.

Like in all things, there must always be a balance-black:white, up:down, in:eek:ut, good:evil, heaven:hell. If Christians have a heaven then naturally there must be
hell.

Not at all - in order for you to breathe in someone else doesn't have to breathe out.

There is no 'naturally' about threatening to torture eternally a huge proportion of the worlds population.

silent worship said:
Like in all things, there must always be a balance-black:white, up:down, in:eek:ut, good:evil, heaven:hell. If Christians have a heaven then naturally there must be
hell.

Not if Heaven is made up.

If there's such a thing as Santa Claus, does there have to be a polar opposite?

What about Leprechauns?

Bigfoot?

Voodoo?

Like in all things, there must always be a balance-black:white, up:down, inut, good:evil, heaven:hell. If Christians have a heaven then naturally there must be
hell.
Thats not from the Bible, if you could quote your source that would be great....

Dark Virtue said:
Not if Heaven is made up.

If there's such a thing as Santa Claus, does there have to be a polar opposite?

What about Leprechauns?

Bigfoot?

Voodoo?
I'm sure if we looked deep enough and stretched imaginations far enough we would find the opposites. As I read in another post, people create heaven,hell and God to explain things they cannot.

No arguement there. If I create something or follow something that has been created and it provides me comfort and helps to give me a sense of balance...even if I may not fully understand every aspect of it why would that be wrong?

Because it clouds the REAL truth. What if we were content to believe that the phases of the moon were because a dragon was eating a rice ball in the sky?

silent worship said:
No arguement there. If I create something or follow something that has been created and it provides me comfort and helps to give me a sense of balance...even if I may not fully understand every aspect of it why would that be wrong?

Ask the people in psych wards.

Two words come to mind: INTELLECTUAL HONESTY. If you believe in something because it makes you feel good WITHOUT any evidential support, you're not being honest with yourself. Personally, I don't think that's a healthy way to live, no matter how good you might feel. Doing drugs makes you feel good doesn't it? Getting drunk makes you feel good doesn't it? Short term happiness can have horrible consequences.

Like Eon pointed out, that would be a horrible thing to do. From your past couple posts I picture you starting some ultra liberal Hippy cult that follows the paradigm of a ying yang. If its not the truth then you are a liar.(Rev 21:8) I tell you the truth.

Because it clouds the REAL truth. What if we were content to believe that the phases of the moon were because a dragon was eating a rice ball in the sky?
Rediculous- its cheese, not rice...:rolleyes:

Anybody think there are aliens hiding on the moon waiting to invade? I'm telling you, they're using Google Earth right now drawing up their battle plans. The resolution isn't that great where I live though, so I think my area will be OK.

ICE, I have bad news for you. If you live in a low-res area then the Aliens will simply nuke you. It's not low-res - that's what they plan to leave the area looking like! :0

Back