So when do most of you play?

DanR12

So today I picked up SC2. I'm getting more into PC gaming since a potential job is going to take me on the road and I won't have my Xbox with me (looking at getting a decent gaming laptop).

Well I just started. Never played SC1 but I've played an RTS or two in my day (used to really be into Age of Empires 2). So I need a little help learning the subtle aspects of the game. So when do most of you play? I'm hoping someone here could help me out where I need it.

A few of the guys play strategy games on "Straturday" also known as Saturday (copyright Keero all rights reserved :p ) but there is no offical time. I think Tek said things start up around noon or 1:00 pm central but it could be any time Saturday.

I log into steam every other night or so to see some Toj playing SC2. So hover on there and you'll pick up a game or two probably. Though I think many are still focusing on the the single player game.

Well I just started. Never played SC1 but I've played an RTS or two in my day (used to really be into Age of Empires 2). So I need a little help learning the subtle aspects of the game. So when do most of you play? I'm hoping someone here could help me out where I need it.

Be prepared for some hurt T_T . From watching numerous replay SC2 is a macro intensive game imo. I'm sure the guys can help you better but be prepared to learn to execute build orders and keystrokes quickly. The single player game is supposed to be good teaching the basic concepts though so master that before you attempt multiplayer.

Last edited:
You can catch me on and off during the day....I have spent a lot of time on it, but am considering going back to the original starcraft or unreal unless things get patched up.

I already added you. My name is Brianjacko and code is 983...I reccomend adding everyones code in the usernames section. Everyone who has posted their name on that page is active as I have seen and talked to just about everyone online in sc II from that forum.

Last edited:
I managed to win my first online match. But I doubt that'll continue. I'm going to be in Wisconsin this Saturday for my brother's wedding, but the following Saturday, I'll be sure to join in.

DanR12, welcome to the Starcraft 2 forums. If you add all of us to your friends list, you'll see that we're on at different times. I'm often on in the late evening. Also, check out the SC2 Teamspeak too. We're sometimes on that as well.

I saw that you were looking at gaming laptops. My cousin showed me a pretty good laptop online at Best Buy's website.
ASUS G73JH:
Core I7
6GB RAM
HD 5870 graphics card
17.3 inch display
Backlit keyboard
2 giant vents in the back to keep it cool
Wieghs 7.5 lbs (As with most gaming laptops, it's kinda big and heavy. Some mobility is lost. As expected, not that great of battery life either.)
At $1300, it's definitely expensive. But it's a good price for the hardware. (It was an even better price before Best Buy raised the price by $100.)

But have fun shopping for a computer. It's something you don't get to do every day. The laptop I listed above isn't very mobile (hard to travel with), and it's overkill for a game like Starcraft 2. You have a much better idea of what type of laptop you'd like.

@Mostly Harmless: DON'T GO!

DanR12, welcome to the Starcraft 2 forums. If you add all of us to your friends list, you'll see that we're on at different times. I'm often on in the late evening. Also, check out the SC2 Teamspeak too. We're sometimes on that as well.

I saw that you were looking at gaming laptops. My cousin showed me a pretty good laptop online at Best Buy's website.
ASUS G73JH:
Core I7
6GB RAM
HD 5870 graphics card
17.3 inch display
Backlit keyboard
2 giant vents in the back to keep it cool
Wieghs 7.5 lbs (As with most gaming laptops, it's kinda big and heavy. Some mobility is lost. As expected, not that great of battery life either.)
At $1300, it's definitely expensive. But it's a good price for the hardware. (It was an even better price before Best Buy raised the price by $100.)

But have fun shopping for a computer. It's something you don't get to do every day. The laptop I listed above isn't very mobile (hard to travel with), and it's overkill for a game like Starcraft 2. You have a much better idea of what type of laptop you'd like.

@Mostly Harmless: DON'T GO!

I won't just yet....But if things don't change soon I will be going back to other games. : )

Since I'm on Alaska time, I'll be on what seems to be later than most people. Like, I'm probably going to have to set my alarm to get up on time for straturday.

Since I'm on Alaska time, I'll be on what seems to be later than most people. Like, I'm probably going to have to set my alarm to get up on time for straturday.
The official start time for Straturday is 1 p.m. Central, but in past weeks, activity doesn't pick up until after 2 or 3 p.m. Central. Once we start playing, we tend to play for a while, taking breaks (i.e. spectating a match instead of playing) now and then.

So no need to rise at the crack of dawn to play SC2. :D

But if you want to play with the big boys we sleep in until about 7:00am and then start our matches shortly after.
Let me know how that goes. I'll be unconscious at that hour, barring a zombie apocalypse.

I tend to get on right after I eat lunch, so expect me to show between 1 and 2 p.m. Central.

The official start time for Straturday is 1 p.m. Central, but in past weeks, activity doesn't pick up until after 2 or 3 p.m. Central. Once we start playing, we tend to play for a while, taking breaks (i.e. spectating a match instead of playing) now and then.

So no need to rise at the crack of dawn to play SC2. :D

Four hour difference means I'm going to be getting up at 10am. On a Saturday. Years of college training has meant 10am is alarm worthy for that day. :D

The potential job opportunity I might be taking is actually in Alaska so I would be on that way off time zone as well. I'm slowly getting the hang of the game. The past few RTSs I've played I've only had to manage 1 resource so it's been a bit of a change for me to have to deal with more than that again. I'm getting the balance I need figured out. I'm headed to my brother's wedding in Wisconsin (I'm in Michigan) for the weekend so I'll have to miss this Straturday and get back to it next week.

As far as laptops are concerned, here's what I'm looking at. It really comes down to if I really want the BD drive or not.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114939
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220753

I figure if it can handle games like SC2 and L4D2 fairly well, I'll be happy. My Shuttle system handles them both great (Phenom II X4 810, Radeon 4670 w/ 512, 4GB RAM).

I picked up SC2 as soon as I got back from Peru, and these past few weekends have kept me busy. Generally my Saturdays are free, but if everyone's playing around 1 or 2 PM CST (2 or 3 PM EST), I'm game. BTW, how's the weather in Alaska?

Back