SP2 Worth upgrade?

LionOfJudah

Member, Dreamcast Fishing Guru
So far i just installed SP2 and the only benefit i have recieved is the improved firewall which i disable, and that is about it. it also adds about 30seconds 1min more start up time before my computer is completely loaded.

Wonder if it is even worth the upgrade or if i should just roll back to SP1 with all my updates until SP2 is manadtory.

That's odd. As soon as I installed sp2 my start up time was dramatically decreased. Before the desktop would come up, but the computer was still loading. Now, as soon as I see the desktop it's ready to go.

My new computer will have SP1 installed on it (Windows disk with SP1 built-in) for the sole purpose of having HDs bigger than 137 GB...otherwise I would've stuck with the original release.

SP2 fixes a couple of security flaws, also it adds a popup blocker to IE.

there's a couple other additions in there as well, i just can't remember them off the top of my head...:D

I actually don't use IE, but I'm glad they put that in there so I don't get any popups between the M$ and the FireFox sites
biggrin.gif

I heard that SP2 isn't great for gamers either.

I guess I am sticking with the good ol' "Don't fix what isn't broken" approach
blues.gif

well for me its gona be a while before i get sp2 off of dial-up
tounge.gif

i could play UT2k4, Wc3, CS no problem at all so i dont see how it would affect gamers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] could play UT2k4, Wc3, CS no problem at all so i dont see how it would affect gamers.

If you activate the firewall it won't let games connect until you tell it that they are allowed to access the internet. Thats pretty much it.

Cory

the only problem i had with sp2 is that call of duty kept on crashing, it didnt do that before i got it........but it doesnt matter anymore cause i sold CoD

i actually have not seen a problem with it since i installed it the day after it came out. as far as the gaming is concerned, i use a script (batch file) to turn off all unnecessary background tasks in order to free up resources for the game. this includes the firewall.

as to the IE issue, i use firefox. its a great browser without all the issues of IE. i used to use IE all the time and would run ad-aware each day. it would come up with anywhere from 10-20 files that were spyware a day. now that i use firefox, i run it once a week and i have maybe 2 files (depending on whether i use IE or not
laugh.gif
).

I have sp2 on all 4 of my comps, i dont use IE and games seem to be just fine.  The built in windows firewall is kinda nice, so now i have 2 firewalls to be safe.  I use opera web browser and rarley have adaware or spyware. I do, at least on mine, weekly adaware scans, defrags, and internet cache cleaning, and registry scans at least once a week.

windows firewall is great! I havnt notice even a tiny slow down since turning it on... I think SP 2 is nothing but good
smile.gif

I'm running SP1 right now, the XP loading screen takes about 3 seconds to load, and another 5 to do the startup.

Pretty quick for me...

My rambus computer takes about 35+- 3 seconds to fully boot from power off to desktop, and done loading 45 processes.  PC800, 400mhz bi directional.  It would be equal to like DDR2 PC6500, thats an estimate, the rambus still is 3.2gbps bandwidth but is 400mhz both ways, so 800mhz total effective speed, 4 transfers per clock cycle instead of 2 like DDR and DDR2.  My other DDR computers take about average time to boot, 1 minute with service pack 2

SP2 stinks! I can't do Halo or my school with it installed, so I can't use it! I wish everything just worked with it though, then I could enjoy the new features it adds.

Now, alot of the times you must have atleast SP3 to install certain drivers and what not, i have SP4 and not too happy with it, my comp takes forever to load with an athlon 64 3000.. :p but that could also be the Nvidia Nforce3 150 chipset... SP3 was great for me

he is talking about windows 2k, while i was talking about windows XP, helps to know the version Byblos
tounge.gif

Back