Spammin Shaman

SlavidZee

Hey, I thought I'd post a more official thread for our Shamans. How do you play them, and what are some builds that work for soloing, early game tanking, dps, pvp?

I have a shaman on this server that I toy around with, and after playing with shaman on this server and on the horde side I will have to say that going enhancement first is the way to go for leveling.

My shaman is currently lvl 33 and this is my current Spec.

My target spec at 70 would be: this spec.

I am also strongly considering switching to resto later, because I hear that for pvp earthen shield is incredible.

Hmmm, interesting.
All these skills are so foreign to me...
It DOES seem that melee is something you'll always do a lot of in this class, even if you go elemental. the talents that buff spell dmg do so at much smaller increments than say talents for Druids. Plus, the shocks have this long cooldown...
I'll post my very humble early observations as a play around with my level 14 Tauren shaman :c)

For pvp, elemental or resto are the way to go... but for leveling it's enhancement all the way. The #1 problem the shaman class has is mana efficiency (it's horrible). As enhancement you get around this problem, keeping shocks to 1-2 per fight (max) for non-elites, and as a draenei you will be able to heal every 5 fights or so with their mana free hot, which is generally when you need it anyway.

It's a great way to level. Note that I took shield spec and 2H weapon talents. While this may seem contradictory, it's not. If you don't have a great 2H weapon, generally I find 1H+ shield is better for questing. Also the 5% mana gain is really really useless. Even at lvl 70 it's not enough mana for an extra shock for most shaman (even elemental).

Oh man, I'm questing in the Barrens with my level 15 shammy, and having already gone through it with a druid, all I have to say is Shammy = easy mode!

I find that my shammy is certainly a kick in the face when it comes to DPS. Between totems, shocks, shields, and an imbued hatchet, I've never had anything last more than a few seconds when near me.

Cons are that I burn through mana like nobody's business if I play that way.

My wife has a 67 resto. Love those totems Earth bind, tremor, cleanse, wind fury, and of course grounding. And in 5 man's very good at healing. Good class.
We quest alot with the two of us, Hunter Shaman. Put the earth shield on my pet and send him in while I dps them.
earth shield FTW.

MY shaman is lvl 36 at the moment of this posting, and this is my current build.

My current plan is to progress (in a roundabout way) to this build at lvl 70, though my next look at my build will be arround lvl 60 when i am going to be running more 5 mans. I went into Elemental first for the clearcasting talent and enjoy how often it procs (often off of a clearcasted spell).

I like it because if i need to mow down an enemy i can turn my mana into damage very easily, and if i get some nice clearcast procs i will have a good ammount of manna afterwards.

inho the 2 points for improved ghost wolf form are not worth it unless you are going to be doing alot of PVP. changing the cast time from 2.5sec to .5 sec makes a huge difference in WSG, where you can drop an earthbind totem, shift and run, but when going one place to another questing, you don't notice the 2sec, and would notice most of the other talants.

why do you take the talent in 2H weapons as well as dual weild? i guess i can see it as you level to get 2H asap to up dps, but if you respec at higher lvl, would you still want to take both of them?

i have both because at higher levels it is quite possible that for best stats for different situations i would have a two-hander set and a dual wield set, though i'm not sure.

Shamalama

So, at level 20, I have 11 points in Restoration, even though i primarily solo. My reasons are as follows:
1. I've always seen shamans in terms of my Warcraft 3 days, not as the Farseer hero, but as the Orc casters in general, and I always thought the witchdoctor totems were some of the awesomest spells in the game, and in RTS history!
2. I don't only solo, I play this character primarly to keep my friend, a Mage company, altho i'm always lagging behind since i'm still leveling my Druid.
3. I'm playing Horde. It's customary to roll Shaman, even tho I do have the expansion.

Yeah, I'm not very scientific about my choices, but this is the way I have to play, or else the game gets boring for me, ya know?

Peace out, and God bless!

Back