Stat Weightings - Resto Druid

Gilga

I've been a big fan of using the Wowhead stat weightings and the Pawn add-on to evaluate gear in-game. Pawn is especially cool now as it is has a reforging advisor, it'll point out upgrades or if there isn't an upgrade, point out which quest rewards has the best vendor value, etc.

However, the Wowhead weightings are currently all messed up ... I think they haven't been updated for 4.x. Example: Mastery = 100 weighting, Intellect = 67. No way is that correct. So wowhead sorted data and pawn is very pretty but very wrong.

On the flip side, there's a lot out there about relative value of stats, but not weightings. While there's some uncertainty out there about the relative merits of spirit vs. haste vs. mastery depending on what style and content your'e doing, I roughly get the idea that it splits out for resto druids as:

Int (=Spellpower on weapons) > Spirit = Haste > Mastery > Crit.

A lot of the stuff basically says pick the highest iLevel piece because that'll have the highest intellect value, and then sort out the other stuff with reforging. Which would be nice, but if taken literally would mean that you should wear PvP blues (iLevel 339) over PvE iLevel 333 stuff. Clearly that's not right.

So, I'm trying to come up with a "proper" stat weighting for PvE. The focus is less on haste vs. mastery type stuff, because it's debatable ... but more on the relative value of, say, int vs. spirit.

I'm thinking of using the following relative weighting:

Intellect = Spellpower = 100
Spirit = Haste = 67
Mastery = 33
Crit = 16

Would love any input/criticism/suggestions.

Gilga

I think you weigh the resto druid mastery lower than I would expect. I don't know any of the things by their numbers or whatnot, but in theory it sounds like mastery works the way that the old nourish glyph did where it had gained additional healing bonus per hot on the target beyond the first, and I always liked that.

Yeah, it's no doubt controversial, and your diagnosis is right on where it's useful. EJ says that if you're raid healing, you'll get that mechanic less, and so mastery is worth less. If you're tank healing, you'll get that mechanic more, and so mastery is worth more. Presumably mastery is thus also worth more in 5-mans as well. Crit seems a pretty clear 4th place, but relative tanking of spirit vs. mastery vs. haste is up in the air right now.

EJ summary is:
The end result is that we stack Int as much as possible, and all of the secondary stats are to some degree situational. The safest and most general choices are Spirit and haste. The main exception to this if you are in a heavy tank healing role (or perhaps raiding 10-mans exclusively), when you might look at Mastery more seriously. If you're expecting to have to solo-heal (or nearly solo-heal) a tank in some progression encounter, I'd consider reforging to heavy Mastery.
from http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t110354-resto_cataclysm_release/

Anyhow, my proposed ranking above doesn't end up working ... it puts some 333 gear about 346 gear in ways that clearly don't make sense. So with that and another look at mastery, I'm at
Intellect = Spellpower = 100
Spirit = Haste = Mastery = 50
Crit = 16
Hit = 0

Last edited:
I am not a fan of mastery at all..I'd rather have crit that mastery..but that's just me.

Interesting! I haven't played enough to know the story for me, but you're definitely not alone in that.

Would you take spirit and haste and avoid crit and mastery generally, or do you take crit but avoid mastery? Right now I'm in a mode where I always reforge crit into spirit or haste, but don't reforge mastery. Do you reforge both, neither, one or the other?

I reforge both, I try to get just spirit and haste.To me mastery comes last, and behind that crit. I tried out crit recently and for me it has a week bonus and a larger itemization cost. So for me it's just spirit and haste.

With 4.0.6 and me gearing up some more, I'd like another round of thoughts. According to EJ, the Mastery buff in 4.0.6 moves the "secondary stat weighting" from:

spirit = haste > mastery = crit
to
spirit > mastery > haste > crit
with haste now being kinda weird ... useful at breakpoints where you get an extra tick (e.g. 915, 1220, 1425, 2004, 2439, etc) but less so in the in-between. Also, clearly the value of mastery depends on what you're healing. If it's raid healing, mastery is much less useful. If it's 5-man or tank healing, or maybe 10-man healing, it's a lot more useful.

Anyhow, I took at peek at geared resto druids (who happened to be logged out with what looked like their resto gear so I could see on armory) and get this:
Int Spi Haste Mastery Crit
Lisa 4,802 1,796 1,273 672 820 (ilevel 349)
Clerros 5,091 1,232 678 1,113 1,297 (iLevel 349)
Sassyelf 4,112 1,752 1,401 864 757 (iLevel 347)
Gilga 4,717 1,784 938 924 685 (iLevel 344)

Gilga: Spirit > Mastery > Haste > Crit
Lisarayne & Sassyelf: Spirit > Haste > Crit > Mastery
Clerros: Crit > Spirit > Mastery > Haste

Radically difference choices with respect to gemming and reforging, clearly. Now I can understand why on some of it ... e.g. i'm not raiding healing so I value mastery more, and that sort of thing. But I'd love to hear thoughts on why resto droods are making the choices they are with secondary stat prioritization.

Also, with respect to gearing in general, I'm following the rule of "iLevel > all" ... e.g. I'm wearing an iLevel 346 ring with crit and haste over an iLevel 333 ring with spirit and mastery. Anyone have thoughts on whether that's the right rule or not?

Anyhow, overall, this tells me that Blizzard's customization stuff is working. Back in Vanilla wow days or even BC, our stats would have looked almost identical , with slightly higher iLevels meaning slightly better stats. If you look here, though, only 5 points of iLevel separating ... and we have *RADICALLY* different stats. Kinda cool.

yea, I think no one wants to be the cookie cutter druid, its kinda nice to be unique and have your own style. Looks like we can kinda do that now. Although right now i'm pretty much cookie cutter cuz its working for me, lol. If you try out new things i'd like to hear how they go!! Funny how Sassy and myself are the same, we have similar play styles =)

Back