Stem-Cell Research

Goodness stepping in lightly then probably gonna walk away. Ask me how I feel??? After having lost 3 babies ....... yes in my opinion babies..... in three years without even having the chance to meet them. For me it is conception period. Each baby has a soul and to me that's what is human about it. That's how I define a human.

SA I would think it is ok to use the cells from the embilical cords. Many are now freezing them just in case their child may need them in the future.

The rest of you SA asked what the Christian belief was about this and what we thought as he has probably been pondering it or has been asked about it.

He even said he was looking for an answer from the Christians on these forums.
By the way stepping lightly on the abortion issue. I personally could never go there regardless. I do not judge those who feel they have to go there though. I know my God forgives even the smallest sin so I have no reason to judge when that is for God.

Sorry for going a bit off subject Gen.
Blessings,"Angel"

Basically the abortion industry will find whatever excuse it can to keep itself in business. If they can justify their actions by saying that the aborted babies can be used for medical science, then they will continue to have a foothold in an industry that focuses on taking life instead of promoting it. Life is not taken form the use of cord blood. Since all life is precious from the moment of conception (according to Christianity) they cord blood research and alternatives would be the choice that is consistent with Christian views.

Thanks for mentioning off topic LITSAFALDA
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr.Bill @ Dec. 03 2004,9:48)]The embryos in question won't get the oppotunity regardless of whether they are researched on or not.  You are stearing towards abortion, and I'd rather not go there.
That would be a false ascertion regarding my statement.

---

Anyway, embrionic stem cell research is a farce.  Championed at best, by a league of uninformed celebraties.  Adult stem cell and cord blood stem cell research holds the most potential.  

There are all kinds practacle concerns with embrionic stem cell research that alone, should stop it.   For example, embrionic stem cell research in mice has yet to produce insulin-secreting cells that normalize blood glucose in diabetics.  But in adult mice and adult human stem cell research it has.

While I agree that there is potential in stem cell research, that potential does not lie in embronic research.

--

Timor: That was a rather rude comment. Whether you like it or not, whether you agree with SA or not, he still deserves respect. Maybe he chooses not to make ill-formed decision, maybe he chooses to remain open to other opportunities instead of jumping head first into a shallow creek.

Nonetheless, he deserves more credit then you afford him.

Embryonic stem cell research may not hold the same potential as adult and cord blood research, but considering what is at stake here, this does not matter that much. Upon what exactly are you basing your opinion that it is a 'farce'?

So far, nothing has come from it that using alternate sources have proven to be more beneficial. The only ones supporting it are well paid celebrities whereas mainstream scientists do not support it. At hearings in congress, scientists who have been doing stem cell research as their life work for decades strongly oppose the use of embrionic stem cells as they have been proven to be non-value added compared to alternate sources. Those in favour, have (or has had) as their most vigorous and staunch supporter, Christopher Reeve.

While those how are for embronic stem cell research tug on heart strings, those against it use logic, facts and science to make their claim.

And so far, what is at stake if embrionic stem cell research is banned given that the alternatives are superior? Nothing but alot of money put into the back pockets of celebrities.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Odale @ Dec. 05 2004,11:34)]back to the original queston..... you must decide for yourself, pray on it
smile.gif
Not to be picky, but would praying to God for an answer really be "deciding for yourself"?

GP- I did some research, and it appears that adult stem cells do not have as much potential as you claim.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Embryonic stem cells can become all cell types of the body because they are pluripotent. Adult stem cells are generally limited to differentiating into different cell types of their tissue of origin. However, some evidence suggests that adult stem cell plasticity may exist, increasing the number of cell types a given adult stem cell can become.

Large numbers of embryonic stem cells can be relatively easily grown in culture, while adult stem cells are rare in mature tissues and methods for expanding their numbers in cell culture have not yet been worked out. This is an important distinction, as large numbers of cells are needed for stem cell replacement therapies.

Taken from here.

Adult stem cells do have potential in that stem cells taken from the patient and then re-entered into the body have high chance for bodily acceptance, but this will not be possible until scientists figure out how to cultivate them. Embryonic stem cells have the problem of bodily rejection, but apparently this has not been yet tested. Plus they are pluripotent, whereas adult stem cells are much more rigid. So I would suggest to you that embryonic stem cell research is far from a 'farce.'

If the purpose of harvesting liver stem cells from your body is to generate tissue that your body will not reject, then what is the purpose of embrionic stem cells?

Well apparently we cannot yet adequately cultivate adult stem cells, so they are not entirely feasible for regenerative therapy, which requires large numbers of cells.  Embryonic stem cells are much more readily obtainable. Plus adult stem cells taken from the liver may only be usable in that organ, as they are not as flexible as embryonic stem cells.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The main protagonists of embryonic stem cell research are the scientists working with those cells. A typical case made on why embryonic stem cell research should be supported goes like this.

* Embryonic stem cells are ‘pluripotent’, ie, they can make every cell type of the body, while adult stem cells are ‘multipotent’ and can make many, but not all cell types. Consequently, adult stem cells may be immensely useful for treatment of some human disease, but unable to make certain cell types required for treatment of other, unspecified, diseases.
* Adult stem cells, unlike those derived from the embryo, cannot be expanded in culture without losing developmental potential.
* Finally, many of the claims of adult stem have not appeared as peer-reviewed publications.

In fact, all those arguments have long been overtaken by events. There are many excellent peer-reviewed publications showing that adult stem cells may be just as developmentally flexible as embryonic stem cells, that these stem cells show much greater promise in repairing damaged tissues and treatment of other diseases, and that they can give rise to established cell lines, if needed. Furthermore, unlike stem cells isolated from the embryo, they do not carry the same risks of cancer or uncontrollable growth after transplant, and they can be isolated from patients requiring treatment, thus avoiding all problems of immune rejection and the need for immune suppressive drugs that carry their own risks.

source: ISIS: Husing Up Adult Stem Cell Research

There are dozens of regenerative therapies using adult stem cells, comapred to none for embryonic. Adult stem cells are nearly as flexible as embryonic stem cells. And adult stem cells carry much less inherit risk then embryonic stem cells.

Here's my viewpoint first and foremost as a Christian, secondly as a paralyzed individual. As a Christian, anything that would hurt or destroy any human life, whether through abortion, murder, or embryonic cells, is against every belief I have. God has designated all life as sacred. Now on the issue from a paralyzed individual, I guess my response could possibly be different but it is not. I have an impossible time separating my faith from my own personal circumstances. However from all research that I've seen, umbilical cord blood cells, cells used have had the same effects as those taken from an embryo. However if regulating stem cell research means all stems cells not being used to protect unborn babies, then it is something I willingly accept.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He won't, though. It's quite apparent that, rather than deciding what he believes, he will believe what he's told he's "supposed" to believe.

SilentAssasin hasn't made up his mind yet! That's why he made this topic in the first place!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (timor @ Dec. 06 2004,1:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Odale @ Dec. 05 2004,11:34)]back to the original queston..... you must decide for yourself, pray on it
smile.gif
Not to be picky, but would praying to God for an answer really be "deciding for yourself"?
In hindsight, do we really decide on anything or was that God's plan?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gods_Peon @ Dec. 07 2004,1:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The main protagonists of embryonic stem cell research are the scientists working with those cells. A typical case made on why embryonic stem cell research should be supported goes like this.

* Embryonic stem cells are ‘pluripotent’, ie, they can make every cell type of the body, while adult stem cells are ‘multipotent’ and can make many, but not all cell types. Consequently, adult stem cells may be immensely useful for treatment of some human disease, but unable to make certain cell types required for treatment of other, unspecified, diseases.
   * Adult stem cells, unlike those derived from the embryo, cannot be expanded in culture without losing developmental potential.
   * Finally, many of the claims of adult stem have not appeared as peer-reviewed publications.

In fact, all those arguments have long been overtaken by events. There are many excellent peer-reviewed publications showing that adult stem cells may be just as developmentally flexible as embryonic stem cells, that these stem cells show much greater promise in repairing damaged tissues and treatment of other diseases, and that they can give rise to established cell lines, if needed. Furthermore, unlike stem cells isolated from the embryo, they do not carry the same risks of cancer or uncontrollable growth after transplant, and they can be isolated from patients requiring treatment, thus avoiding all problems of immune rejection and the need for immune suppressive drugs that carry their own risks.

source: ISIS: Husing Up Adult Stem Cell Research

There are dozens of regenerative therapies using adult stem cells, comapred to none for embryonic.  Adult stem cells are nearly as flexible as embryonic stem cells.  And adult stem cells carry much less inherit risk then embryonic stem cells.
So clearly there are advantages and disadvantages to both embyronic and adult stem cells. I think the best and most effective regenerative therapy can only be accomplished in using both.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So clearly there are advantages and disadvantages to both embyronic and adult stem cells. I think the best and most effective regenerative therapy can only be accomplished in using both.

How can you say that when there is no to negligable benefits in embryonic stem cells (other then theorycraft)? So far, they've grown cancerous tumors at best. And this is good how?

Embryonic stem cells can cause cancer. Embryonic stem cells are versatile but they can also become malignant. Their potential for causing cancer is a real concern for researchers. The editor of the journal Stem Cells made a startling admission last year: "I continue to think that clinical application is a long way off. Prior to clinical use of embryonic and foetal stem cells, it will be necessary to thoroughly investigate the malignant potential of embryonic stem cells." Adult stem cells seem to be more stable than embryonic stem cells and are not as prone to forming tumours.

http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/edi/edi_06stemcelldebate.html

Back