Storing treasure in heaven?

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
ok this has a long intro so bare with me: ok for the longest time i never thought dieing from a random accident would ever be a bad thing, i mean Heaven is heaven right? supreme happiness etc, but as of late of felt that if i were to die now would be a waste (most of me talking about random deaths has nothing to do with my point) becuase im actually starting to make tracks in life and get my education etc, plus i ahve a friend who i really like, love spending time with and did i mention i like her alot? anyways as i think about it right now, to die this early would just plain suck. but would that be hanging on to the earthly realm? (bible reference that i cant remember should be inserted here about earthly realm, not the theive comes to steal stuff verse.) but isnt that like storing my "treasure" on earth and not in heaven? becuase i always felt that memories of doing Gods work and following his will was the act of "storing up in heaven." so... yeah..... im confused....sooo... clarification would be nice, and i guess a discusison could be good too ;)

note: please keep this on topic becuase ive noticed alot of topics get WAY off track and i would really like good feed back and understanding on this.

We need to always be in mind to put God first and love Him most, thus fulfilling the first Commandment. By the same token, we know that every good and perfect gift comes from God and we are to give thanks in everything. Therefore, I believe it is perfectly fine to have a love for things here on earth as from the hand of God.

You ask an excellent question and one that I have been pondering for the last couple of days that bears studying. I look forward to responses here. I think when your question is answered, we will also find answers to how we prepare ourselves for Heaven.

When my sister who was angelic to me, knew she was dying, her first response was that she wanted to see her grand babies grow up. One of my favorite preachers wept as he said good-bye to his family, and church family just a few short hours before he entered His Heavenly Eternal Home. I think they each very much looked forward to seeing Jesus, all the glories of Heaven, and our loved ones contained there. Nevertheless, good-byes are always sad in any form. As Jesus prayed to let the cup pass from Him, I wonder if He were not thinking for one, of missing His loved ones here and thinking of their sadness of His loss. In addition, Paul stated that while he desired Heaven, he knew that his converts needed him here on earth.

I tell you all this just to say that you are not thinking anything out of the ordinary. We all have hopes, goals, and desires that we would like to see come to fruition. Those things are only wrong when we desire them over God, or take time with them to the exclusion of God.

There is a verse that tells us to hate our Mother, Father, sister, brother, while we know we are never to hate anyone, I believe that verse is clear that nothing should ever be put before God. We should be willing to lose it all...to give up every single thing, to please, desire, and serve Him. He wants our heart. The fact that you are asking that question leads me to believe that yours is in the right place, caring what God thinks!

Lastly, as we live our days here on earth, rather in choosing an education, mate, or just living our daily walk, when we strive to bring glory and honour to God in all that we do, we are, in effect, stroing our treasures in Heaven.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be happy - how can you understand love until you've experienced it. Even if you went to heaven when you died, I still think you'd have a richer afterlife for having lived down here longer.

Otherwise the goal would simply be to die as quickly as possible!

i experiance love from God so i really dont require much else, but it would be nice. "Lastly, as we live our days here on earth, rather in choosing an education, mate, or just living our daily walk, when we strive to bring glory and honour to God in all that we do, we are, in effect, stroing our treasures in Heaven." in regards to tthat, would be spending unhealthy amounts on the computer be "storing treasure" if that time was spent with a christian community, even though it may seem a waste becuase its on a computer?

its a metaphore used in the bible to explain why we shouldt spend all our time on money and temperary physical things and that our focus needs to be more on God. the verse kinda explains it:
Matt 6:19-21 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Whilst I totally support and cheer the idea of not focussing solely on material things, I am kind of disturbed by the idea that it's replaced with the idea that Heaven will have some sort of multi-streaming class system based on the acquisition of property.

No utopia of my design would have THAT!

Eon said:
Whilst I totally support and cheer the idea of not focussing solely on material things, I am kind of disturbed by the idea that it's replaced with the idea that Heaven will have some sort of multi-streaming class system based on the acquisition of property.

No utopia of my design would have THAT!

That one is quite perplexing.

Abandon materialism on earth so you can...enjoy it in heaven!

I was going to end to end my post there, in a continual state of disturbedness (I think adding "ness" to the end of any word should give it automatic status as a proper and actual word) but something struck me.

You have to assume that God will take care of everyone in heaven. There will be no one who is wanting of basic necessities (...if there any) in heaven.

However, this is not the case on earth. Here, not everyone has the basic necessities, and through varying circumstances, they are deprived of them. It is here, that those who follow God can make a choice. Lavish themselves with the wonderful material possessions that mankind has crafted to entertain itself, or help the impoverished. This, much like proclaiming the Gospel, isn't something that can't be done in heaven.

Now, the next question is why can't the table at the great banquet be round with the Holy Trinity sitting inside the circle generated by the table?

Do you want the naff, third class, version of hte afterlife? How much does an upgrade to second class cost? How much to First class?

Do Buddhists get a 'Frequent Flyer' discount?

the focus is not on material items, the focus should be on God,

I thought the focus was on Matt 6:19-21.

Would you mind explaining how you came to the conclusion that this was allegory? The word treasure is defined as a collection of precious things. What are these precious things that are being stored? Why do you need to store them? What purpose do they serve?

You're the one that brought it up, I'm just trying to understand what they are.

Well I agree with you Atown, but what does this "Storing up of treasures in heaven" business refer to then?

If you are experiencing LOVE there is no wrong, in fact what is so wonderful that you take the time to share that love with us.Love it is a rule given to us! GIT YA SUM and SHARE IT. So with that just imagine just what awaits us in heaven by doing what absolutely feels awsome....

yeah my english teacher tells me i need to clarify my thoughts better when i write but yeah.... i got a B in the class and he said i still have issues lol. anyways. the way i understand the verse is that, as humans we arent to be like gollum, always seeking the "precous", the ring, his only thing thats important to him. Gollum "store up for yourselves treasures on earth" and therefor Bilbo was able to get ahold of the ring. and the way i interprut the verse is that we should "store up" the events and memories that glorify God.

It's rather implied that the heavenly treasures spoken of are the memories and strength of character you gain from doing good deeds and persuing spiritual fulfilment in life, rather than economic fulfilment.

Spritual fulfilment ennobles the soul and stays with you after death.
Material fulfilment nourishes the flesh and stays with the flesh after death.

Isn't that right, Atown?

thats exactly why i was asking my orignal question becuase i didt know how to clearly identify which actions i took were "true' tresures so to speak. becuase i enjoy and love my time on these forums and games but im not sure its the "Best" way to spend my time, and therfor not sure of anything......

Back