Strafe Tanking 101

Healers, heed the caution in the warning.

A tank that strafes moves out of healing range rather quickly and unexpectedly or the tank can turn a boss onto you to take a cleave in a blink of an eye. Watch for clues as to determine what you have to do. If you see the boss or mobs head coming to towards you, backup and roll away from the face. If you see the tail end swing towards you, move up and away from the tail end, or stay at the tail end. Each fight is different so the onus is on you, the healer, to know the abilities of the boss\mob and move and position yourself correctly when a tank repositions a boss\mob.

Plankeye:So Mordos can stop yelling at us tanks and be his happy tree hugging, flower growing, carebear self again:

mordos? treehugger herbalist carebear??? *gasp* never happen. i did attempt a strafe on maly dodging a spark, ran right into a healer, won't mention her name........but she went splat in hot breath *racked with guilt*.....

Last edited:
Good tips, I learned to do that back in my Doom/Quake days:p I Strafe even when running around questing, turn to the side and strafe to look around for quest mobs, etc

fun tidbit - In the early days of EQ1 you actually moved faster if strafing so you always moved forward and right at the same time everywhere you went.

fun tidbit - In the early days of EQ1 you actually moved faster if strafing so you always moved forward and right at the same time everywhere you went.

LOL!! I remember running at angels all the time!! ROFL!! ahhh, good memories...

Back