Sunday, August 10, 2014 - 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Therefore, so that I would not exalt myself, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to torment me so I would not exalt myself. Concerning this, I pleaded with the Lord three times to take it away from me. But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Therefore, I will most gladly boast all the more about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may reside in me. So I take pleasure in weaknesses, insults, catastrophes, persecutions, and in pressures, because of Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:7-10, HCSB

Scripture does not explicitly state the nature of Paul's "thorn in the flesh," so I believe it's safe to assume that the specifics are not important. Rather, the power of God's grace is the focus of this passage.

If and when God says "No" to our prayers, as He did with Paul, will we continue to serve Him? Will we take our ailments as an opportunity to lean on God more heavily than before or turn away from Him and work in our own strength?

Our answer may differ from one day to the next, especially when facing particularly difficult circumstances, but the truth remains that God's grace is sufficient to empower and sustain us. That does not mean we will be rid of discomfort, pain, or suffering, but rather that He will carry through all these and more.

Back