Sunday, September 21, 2014 - Philippians 1:21-26

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
For me, living is Christ and dying is gain. Now if I live on in the flesh, this means fruitful work for me; and I don’t know which one I should choose. I am pressured by both. I have the desire to depart and be with Christ—which is far better—but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you. Since I am persuaded of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that, because of me, your confidence may grow in Christ Jesus when I come to you again.
Philippians 1:21-26, HCSB

Sometimes, life gets hard. But it seems unlikely that it gets as difficult for us as it did for Paul, a man who suffered imprisonment, beatings, and abandonment for the cause of the Gospel.

Paul knew that he would find wholeness, physically, emotionally, and spiritually, after he died and went to be with Christ. I think it's safe to say that he found tremendous rest in that fact. He had the matter of death settled in his mind, which freed him to focus on the work that Christ had remaining for him during his life.

Death is an unpopular subject, but it's imperative that we, as believers, study what Scripture has to say about death and learn not to fear it. Yes, we should never assume we're invincible and we should make preparations for the possibility of dying suddenly (i.e. buy life insurance and write out a will, if that's relevant to your season of life), but we shouldn't be afraid of dying.

Instead, let us consider every day we remain on earth as a commission from God to do some work to glorify His name. I can only speak for myself, but I know when I die, I want to be able to say, as Paul did, that I've run the race and remained true to the end. It's a lofty goal and I make a complete hash of it when I work in my own strength, but the same Holy Spirit that indwells other believers lives in me and labors to finish the work that God's saving grace has started in my life.

Wonderful start to the day, thank you Tek. I am in the older bracket and have lost lots of family and friends over the last 15 years, and face the fact my time is coming to an end. Daily I have to ask, "Am I ready in all ways?". And I am confident I am ready to go Home at any time. Young does not mean not to be prepared though, fight the good fight from youth onward.

Thanks, Tek. A great passage. Yeah...I want to finish the race well, too.

Back