Super Bowl XLI

astrod00d

I don't know how many of you watched the Super Bowl but the best part of the game happened when it was over. After the trophy was presented to the owner and the coach of the Colts, they both gave the glory to God.

Coach Dungy's comments were especially touching when they were trying to focus on the fact that he's the first African American coach to win the Super Bowl. Here's a quote, "I'm proud to be the first African-American coach to win this," Dungy said during the trophy ceremony. "But again, more than anything, Lovie Smith and I are not only African-American but also Christian coaches, showing you can do it the Lord's way. We're more proud of that."

Here's a couple of more quotes, "It's going to be a storm. The Lord doesn't always take you in a straight line. Sometimes you have to work for it. He tests you sometimes."

There wasn't a single part of that game that gave me goosebumps or made me more happy than when Tony Dungy gave the credit to Jesus in front of millions of viewers.

The sad thing is that most of the articles that I've read about it seem to edit out the Christian comments that he made.

like it, love it, need more of it

:) I love it when people go out of their way to give glory to God... but it is distressing when people go out of their way to censor it like it is a dirty word. :( Of course we all know media groups are non-bias because they say so...ahem :p

I did not watch the superbowl because the Gerbil is weird. The only sport I like is the martial arts. The superbowl commercials haven't been that great lately so I did not watch it for that either hehe. I also dislike pizza to add to my weirdness. :eek:

Anyway great to hear people give credit where credit is due PRAISE GOD FTW! :D

I did not watch the superbowl because the Gerbil is weird. The only sport I like is the martial arts. The superbowl commercials haven't been that great lately so I did not watch it for that either hehe. I also dislike pizza to add to my weirdness. :eek:

Whoa, you are weird!

I didn't stay up after the game because I had work EARLY monday morning. After hearing this I kind of wish I had!

Whoa, you are weird!
Meh, I didn't watch it, either. My wife and I were driving back home from visiting her family while the game was on. I didn't even know who was playing until I asked one of my co-workers on Friday afternoon.

I can't pay attention to football long enough to get interested. Too many stops and starts, not enough action. Cable Internet has annihilated my attention span.

I can't pay attention to football long enough to get interested. ]

I'm in the same boat, unfortunately. I know a lot of guys that are complete football-addicts, but... I don't know. Something about it doesn't capture my complete attention.

I only watched it because I live in Indiana so by default I am a Colts fan. I hadn't watched the Superbowl in 7+ years.

To tell the truth I stopped watching it after I saw Prince ruin Proud Mary and We Will Rock You.

And for the record, Tina Turner is not the original Proud Mary artist, CCR is. And Proud Mary has nothing to do with drugs its about a boat, nothing else! I hate getting into arguments about those two things with other people.

[toj.cc]phantom;206221 said:
To tell the truth I stopped watching it after I saw Prince ruin Proud Mary and We Will Rock You.
/shudder

And I thought they couldn't sink any lower than Paul McCartney tearing off his shirt.

/nausea

I think Prince is a great guitarist, and I'm quite fond of Purple Rain. Ahh fond high school memories of my friend's band playing that song. :D

I think Prince is a great guitarist, and I'm quite fond of Purple Rain. Ahh fond high school memories of my friend's band playing that song. :D
I like a number of Prince's tracks. I just don't think that he should go within a mile of Proud Mary or We Will Rock You. Not his style.

Didn't he also do a Foo Fighters song?

Also, I think Aerosmith + NSync + Britney Spears was much more offensive, from a musical aesthetics standpoint.

Not trying to be antagonistic (no, really), but if both coaches are devout Christians and both claim that God was on their side...why did one win over the other? Was one more holy than the other? Did God help one side more than another? Did God help at all?

If God wasn't a deciding factor in the game, then why bring it up at all?

The only religion (note I said religion, not Christianity) I want to see on the field is a hail mary :)

Because it's nice to know that someone rich and famous out there is Christian and isn't afraid to admit it on national television

Didn't he also do a Foo Fighters song?

Also, I think Aerosmith + NSync + Britney Spears was much more offensive, from a musical aesthetics standpoint.

I would have been happy with just Aerosmith, but then the others were there and ruined it.

Not trying to be antagonistic (no, really), but if both coaches are devout Christians and both claim that God was on their side...why did one win over the other? Was one more holy than the other? Did God help one side more than another? Did God help at all?

The only religion (note I said religion, not Christianity) I want to see on the field is a hail mary :)

That's like asking why bad things happen to good people in a way. It's all part of God's plan. Why one Christian gets his or her dream job and another struggles to make ends meet for years is kinda the same. God's plan is different for each and every person. And in the case of a football game it's more than just God's plan for ONE or TWO people. It's God's plan for every player, coach, and staff member.

That's like asking why bad things happen to good people in a way. It's all part of God's plan.

Nope. NOBODY wants to hear that an "all loving God" wants evil to happen to them. LIES!

I'll try to find a link with a GREAT explanation!

Update: The links not on my church's site... not sure why... I'll try to type up an explanation soon.

Last edited:
Back