TAKE THAT VISTA! IN UR FACE!

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
Ok i know this picture is huge but its freaking amazing. I have Gutsy gibbon ubuntu with wine, with compiz, with dual monitors and Guildwars runs awesomely

ZOMC.png

do u have the proper alsa setup and also correct audio device set? and yes wow works very well in Wine, ive done it before but i dont currently have an active account

I believe so, but how would I check.

Basically go through the systemic packages for ALSA and see what all is installed, go into preferences and check if theres an OSS realtek or something of the like and using the OSS realtek works for me instead of the intel something or other that tries to use it

plz excuse my ignorance.. but what am i seeing and why is it so Woot? and whats wine?? Besides the drink.

What you are seeing is Compiz-Fusion (or one of its predecessors) in action. Its an OpenSource composite window manager that blows Vista's Aero out of the water, WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) is for running windows programs on linux, and it is all running very well on dual monitors. Hence the Woot.

Linux maybe getting shut down in the near future. I have read a little about it and I guess copyright infringement is an issue with open source so it maybe something that may come to an end like Napster. So enjoy it while you can.

Linux maybe getting shut down in the near future. I have read a little about it and I guess copyright infringement is an issue with open source so it maybe something that may come to an end like Napster. So enjoy it while you can.
Linux being shtudown? Copyrights?..oh yeah..you mean their groupie SCO which was actually foudn to be selling NOVELL's software and is now illegally taking said funds(that belong to novell by contract) to sue various people including red hat and IBM? SCO is in bankrupcty now..heading to chpater 7..not 11. By whom? Microsoft and their patent threats? MS has one little issue..PATENTS!!!

it works like this..patents have to be publicly disclosed to be enforceable..MS refuses to disclose said patents it says Linux infringes..therefore they aren't enforceable.

The instant MS discloses the patents then one of a few thing will happen to each patent:
1. Prior art wil be found which will render the patent null and void
2. Another, larger company(say o..IBM) will find that this patent actually infringes on their patent therefore getting the patent thrown out and MS sued
3. Opensource folks will work around the patents rendering hte issue moot since you can't infringe on what is never disclosed.

Keep in mind it is the patent holder's duty to enforce it's patents..not the other way around. Linux is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Yup, Microsoft loves to spread the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) around in copious quantities. The latest claim is about 235 I believe. It would be fun to see them try for some legal warfare. IBM, Oracle, and Novell (yes, I know they're in with MS, but Linux is their business and they'd probably join the fray against them) give Linux some serious legal teeth. (IBM has been around in one form or another since 1888, looong looong before Bill Gates even thought about buying DOS and licensing it to IBM to jump start Microsoft.

And in the end Linux would still be around. After all, they can just work around the patents and keep going while the crazy legal war is going down.

Actually from what I have read MS has decided not to sue atm. But I did read IBM has a big problem with some of the open source and is going to court things could have changed since I last read about it. I won't pretend I know much about the subject it is just something I read in PC mag.

IBM is investing over 1-2 BILLION a year in open source..specifically Linux. IBM has a problem with SCO saying they own Linux since some of IBM's IP is inside Linux(which IBM has given away to the open source community).

MS won't show it's patents..if they do and IBM finds MS is infringing their IP IBM will wind up owning MS. IBM has the best and most well learned IP lawyers in the industry(as SCO found out when they sued IBM and are now heading towards chapter 7) and has been the leading company of patents granted to it over the past decade or so.

Back