Team Fortress 2 Tips 'n Tricks?

Shagz

For those who are playing the beta, any tips 'n tricks you'd like to share?

Here's a couple I've picked up...

• Medic: tell your soldiers to rocket jump during the "set up" phase and heal them; you'll get your Ubercharge closer to readines before the game even starts
  • Demoman: don't rocket jump too high when you're trying to get ahead; otherwise you'll hurt yourself again when you fall from too great a height

Medic
  • Watch your back. Spies want to kill you. A lot.
  • When the round starts, pair up with a heavy, soldier, or pyro for maximum destruction.
  • Your flag-running and conc-jumping days are over; medics are a true support class in TF2, not an offense class like in TFC.
  • Time your Ubercharges carefully. If possible, give the player you're trailing some warning before activating the charge.
  • Healing isn't a spy check like it was in TFC. Infecting is gone from the game. In other words, just because you can heal a player doesn't mean he's not an enemy spy. Don't hesitate to whip out the syringe gun and shoot someone a few times to check (unless, of course, FF is turned on).

The game has Achievments like the 360 version you can access them from the main menu. Theres one for making an enemy medic heal you while disguised.

I managed to get a medic to heal me while I was disguised as a heavy, then the medic ubercharged me so I rewarded him with a backstab.

The game has Achievments like the 360 version you can access them from the main menu. Theres one for making an enemy medic heal you while disguised.
I personally don't like that medics can heal enemy players. It takes away from the sense of comradery when I have to question whether a person I'm healing is on my team or not. It's also a pain in the rear to have to switch weapons every time I want to spy-check a player.

An off-hand melee weapon would serve well as a spy check. Maybe it's possible to write a config file so you can hold down a certain key to attack with the saw? Then when you release the key, you're back to holding your healgun?

Of course, I say all this from a Medic perspective. I suppose I may feel differently if I ever start playing primarily as a Spy.

Buried within the options menu is a "fast weapon switch" option. Use it! As any class, but especially the Scout, Medic, or Pyro, fast weapon switching combined with the "Last Weapon" button will greatly improve your ability to do damage quickly by selecting the proper weapon for the situation.

Many times I have won duels with enemy Scouts simply because, when we both deplete our shotguns, I immediately switch to my pistol, and they attempt to retreat and reload.

on Gravelpit as a Scout, you can crouch-double-jump onto the raised tunnels that lead to the attacking team's spawn. There's one-way doors so you can't get inside, but when the shutters open at the beginning of the round, I've managed to surprise quite a few attackers by being riiight on the other side. :)

You can also double jump-crouch on CP_Well to get up onto the landing of the train station. (double jump then hit crouch to get onto the window sill, then double jump crouch again to make it to the landing) Makes for fast caps of the center control point. Soldiers and demos have to rocket/grenade jump to get up there.

I also realized recently how important flanking is, especially with sentry guns. (Flanking is when your opponent is engaged with your team member(s) and you run down a side hall or just move into a position where you can approach the target from the side or back) If it's a two-on-one situation, don't make it easy for the enemy, spread out!

And for sentries, without off hand grenades, you can't really "solo" a sentry anymore, unless you can get a good rebound or right angle with the demoman. Instead, you'll need to team up with somebody. Have one of you draw the fire of the sentry gun in one entrance to a room while the other flanks the turret from the other entrance.

Last edited:
-The medic's gun sucks
-Never try to melee a pyro
-Scout vs Heavy - you can kill a heavy with 2-3 shots in the back

*it is said in the tips but as pyro if you lite someone up and can't keep the flame on them bust out the shotgun for the final blow.
*on well a sniper can pick off the other team members rushing the middle with quick shot between the crack of the trains and the central building.
*as engineers, even if someone tells you other wise if you are going to protect you sentry build your dispenser right next to you so that it can heal you and supply you as rushes come... I've stopped many of uber doctors/heavy combos solo this way.
*engineers, teleporters-teleporters-teleporters heavys and soilders are slow get them to the front fast with well placed teleporters.
*as a sniper never keep you laser scope still and always keep it pointing short of your targets corner, or they will see the dot and know you are sniping the corner.
*snipers, head shots still count. just cuz you don't have a fully charged gun doesn't mean a well placed head shot won't bring them down fast.
*when covering long distances while not sniping, try your pistol if you have one, it's more accurate then the shotgun.
*medigun needles don't shot worth a trout. always aim higher then the crosshairs to arch the needles and you'll get a lot more kills as a medic

Just remembered: Pyros are good spy scanners. Not sure if someone's a spy? Light 'em up. Suspect that a spy is invisible nearby? Carpet the area, you'll soon know.

And for sentries, without off hand grenades, you can't really "solo" a sentry anymore, unless you can get a good rebound or right angle with the demoman. Instead, you'll need to team up with somebody.
Medic + Heavy > level 2 sentry.

Level 3 sentry > Medic + Heavy.

Be careful.

The Scout's shotgun is in serious need of a nerf. You've been warned.

*medigun needles don't shot worth a trout. always aim higher then the crosshairs to arch the needles and you'll get a lot more kills as a medic
Medics: It's easy to forget you have a melee weapon. If you can get close enough and if your melee sk1llz are 1337, then break out the bonesaw and prepare for unnecessary surgery.

Thing is, as a medic, if you're getting a lot of kills, you probably *aren't* playing it properly. You could kill 5 dudes with the needle gun and it would be pretty impressive, or you could get 5 kabillion assists by healing your team and watch your score rocket up the board.

As a medic you are more effective with a group of guys, switching your health beam among all of them to keep them buffed, than you are with just one heavy. Buffing fills the ubercharge as much as healing does, but holding the beam on one person does not. With the switch-between strategy, you give more overall health to your team and you charge faster. Just remember to prioritize correctly.

- If you play sniper properly you will likely be the highest scored person in your team and likely the server
- If you are getting incredibly frustrated switch to spy and wreck havok, even if you suck you will gain experience
- When playing spy always mimic your impersonation, generally soldiers/demo/engineer/sniper is a pretty good bet depending on the situation because they are largely inactive until an enemy is found.

Buffing fills the ubercharge as much as healing does, but holding the beam on one person does not.

Is that true? I thought buffing is slower to charge. Charges faster when you're healing a teammate up when they're below normal, but it slows when you go above that. Or is it just like you say, it just gets slower the more you heal just one person?

One thing I would add is that you shouldn't always stick with a heavy as your partner. On offense, ubercharging a soldier, demo or pyro is an excellent way to clear a room of bad guys and sentries. And yea, as a medic, you really shouldn't be getting any kills.

I haven't measured it exactly, but subjectively I notice myself getting ubercharge faster when I buff multiple people. I think it's slower when you heal one person because you can only heal as fast as the buff ticks off, which is slow. I don't think it depends on whether they're above or below regular max health. I might be wrong but I'm fairly sure I'm right.

Back