Technical Help Requested! Uber system of n0obiness

Shoe On Fire

Just today we got our new (exept for CD rom, floppy drives) computer put together and software installed and such. Guild wars works great, except that

Suddenly, without warning, the monitor will say "DPMS Off Mode" and turn to standby, GW sound will stop, and a sound like a CD skipping badly with someone saying something starting with "d" like dddddddddddd.... starts up. The only way to get out of this is to restart.

Anyone have any ideas? I doubt it's overheating, since we tried taking the side cover off and turning the tri-speed fan up to medium..

Windows XP (Professional, I think)
NVidia G Force 6600 GT video card
MSI K8N Neo4 mainboard
there is 1 Gb of ram
And the processor is an AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+

And the sound is on the mainboard.

Upon reading other forums, it seems like GW causes this particular card to overheat..
Anyone have any suggestions if this isn't the case?

Make sure you have the latest nforce4 drivers for your mobo. Make sure you have the latest video card drivers for your video card. And also, make sure you have the latest version of directx loaded.

If you still have this problem, I would imagine that there is a monitoring utility that came with your video card. If so, it should tell you if it's running hot.

Updating drivers did the trick (at least so far). I'm back in business! wooh!
And This weekend is a 4 day weekend for me...

I have an ATI 9250. Star Wars KOTOR shuts off by itself, but luckily on the bottom of the GW box there's the ATI symbol thingy.

Anyway, that's why I got a Dell.

Back