technical help

Master~Plan

Hey I can't get my gamez working and I need some help.

Heres the deal I got 2 comps going to a switch, going to a router, going to a dsl modem.(all wired, no wireless)
The problem is when I play games on either computer, everything works fine, but when I have both my comps join the same server, they both lag out of the server. In any game... ANyone got any ideas?

Yes. You need to change the client port your games are using. For instance, when you connect to a CounterStrike server, you client defaults to port 27005. When the second machine in your network connects, it also tries to use that client port and the packets get lost in the mix. So when you start a game on your second box, you need to add:

+client 27006

to the command line. This will cause the second pc to use port 27006 instead of the default 27005. They will then be able to play at the same time. Again, the +client option is for Half Life. Other games may suffer from the same problem and you will have to research what setting changes the default client ports for those games.

Warcraft III allows you to change to used port right in the game options.

Also, if you are using your router as a firewall, you'll have to open those ports up and route them to the internal IP address of the appropriate computer.

ie...Computer A 127.192.1.100, Computer B 127.192.1.101
Computer A is using port 27005 and Computer B is using 27006.
You'll have to route the ports to the computer IP addresses on your router.

Linksys Port Range Forwarding

And if you are running a software firewall as well, you might have to deal with that as well. Shouldn't be a problem thought as most of todays software firewalls are self configuring. If not, it is often a matter of allowing information to be sent and received on the specified ports.

ahh, sweet, thanx guys  
cool.gif
Game on!

heh, I had a "networking class" in highscool. I felt obligated to test the bandwidth everyday to make sure the network was fully operational. Along with the rest of the class that had thier monitors out of the site of the teacher. We played CS on this map called arg matey every day. It was great....

Anyway I officailly tested out my comps on the same server and it worked! thanx again guys

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Que Pasa @ July 13 2004,11:39)]Hmmm....I wonder if +client 80 would help me any when playing from school?
i think it should. Technically shouldn't hav any problems.. but depends i guess.

Back